You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bit of a hybrid, but it works! (And did not have to call the fire department!)
08-22-2012, 11:47 PM,
Bit of a hybrid, but it works! (And did not have to call the fire department!)
Spent the better part of the evening putting her together. I went with some modifications of the basic Tier 1 set which I hope were wise (some were to catch deals on newegg)

This was my first time doing ANYTHING like this. I have to say it has been one of the most satisfying and enriching things I've done lately, and everything worked on the first try too! I took my sweet time with it, studying what connected to where, trying to paint an understanding of the whole circuitry in my head rather than slapping parts together and hoping for a boot. And boy, that heart wrenching nervous feeling when you're ready to see if it powers up melts away into the most satisfying sense of pride when the lights go on! It was a great time, and I'd happily do it again in the future!

Case: Rosewill Blackbone
PSU: Antec VP450
MoBo: ASRock B75M
CPU: Intel i3 2120 3.3GHz
Memory: Kingston 2x4g
Optical: Sony Optiarc 24x
HDD: Western Digital 500g
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850

I'm using a halfway decent Microsoft wireless mouse I've had for a year, and picked up this Microsoft keyboard for $15 and a lovely Dell 21.5" Ultrasharp monitor off craigslist for $80!

I splurged on the CPU, but the $10-20 difference between the older models was deemed worth it in the spur of the moment. I'm displeased with the case; a bit flimsy, came with bent corners and a bit tight to get around, but it is certainly doing the job for very cheap. The HDD I got for $60 (cheaper at the time than most 200-300g I found!) and the 8g of memory was only $40, so I said "Why not?" My only quibble is that the Motherboard seemed a bit flimsy (of course I have no experience to compare this too) and I had to hotwire one of the fan connectors to accomodate the 2nd fan that came with the case. They all seem to be running, however, so I'm not complaining! The whole package (minus HIDs) was $550, but I would rather have spent a bit extra on better parts (with longer warranties!) than skimp and hold myself blindly to $500.

Phew it's been a long night! Now to run off to grab a copy of Windows and set in some drivers and see what this bad girl can really do! This is my first and only upgrade from the 8 year old laptop I've been using this whole time. I'm slowly prepping for my mind being blown.

This forum has really made this entire project possible and enjoyable for me, so may my insignificant success story act as my humble thanks for all that you do and educate around here. If I had tried this alone, I most certainly would have had to call the fire department...

(Pics to come later!)
08-23-2012, 08:49 AM,
RE: Bit of a hybrid, but it works! (And did not have to call the fire department!)
Congrats on the successful build! Enjoy Smile
Follow Me on Twitter

CPU: Intel i5 2500k Motherboard: ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Z68 Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 6870 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550w Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: Antec 300 Illusion Monitor: ASUS 23" 5ms 1080p Mouse: Logitech G500
08-23-2012, 09:09 AM,
RE: Bit of a hybrid, but it works! (And did not have to call the fire department!)
Congrats on the build man! Smile
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 CPU: i5 3570K Cooler: Water Loop Motherboard: ASrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Z68
Memory:
Corsair Vengeance 8gb] Video Card: EVGA GTX 1070 FE Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w
Storage:
Samsung 840 120gb
Monitor:
Acer S231HLbid 23" Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue
08-31-2012, 10:48 AM,
(08-22-2012, 11:47 PM)Mephisto500 Wrote: And boy, that heart wrenching nervous feeling when you're ready to see if it powers up melts away into the most satisfying sense of pride when the lights go on!

I kow what you mean, I had the same feeling when I built mine. And was devastated when I pressed the button, and NOTHING happened. I tried a few more times, and was getting really heart-broken. That's when I realized I was pressing my reset button, and not my POWER button. Tongue So so happy when those lights and fans came up! Congrats on your build!
CPU:i5-2500K 3.3GHz (4.5) // MOBO:Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 // RAM:Corsair XMS DDR3/1600 16GB // SSD:Samsung 830 Series 128GB SATA III // VID:Galaxy GeForce GTX 670 GC 4GB // PSU:XFX XXX Edition 750W 80Plus Silver // HDD:Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm SATA II // OPT1:Lite-On 24x DVD Writer // OPT2:Pioneer 12x BD-R // COOLER:Zalman CNPS10X Extreme