You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I followed your build 2 years ago, time for an upgrade!
07-30-2012, 08:23 AM,
I followed your build 2 years ago, time for an upgrade!
-Below is an email I sent to Mathieu, but maybe people on the forum can help me too! Smile-

Hello,

I love your website! I've been a loyal fan for couple years now. You helped me build my computer exactly 2 years ago, but I think it's time for an upgrade. I've already purchased new RAM and it will be here on Aug 2nd, but I was thinking about a new processor.

I've never OC'd anything in my computer, but I cleaned it all out a few nights ago with an air compressor to get the gunk out for better air flow, and I just tried OCing the processor last night. After running some tests, I noticed that it runs too hot, meaning that I will not be able to OC at all with this stock cpu cooler. That's not a big deal, give me more reason to buy a new processor.

I have been searching up and down your site, and I see that you're mostly recommending Intel now. That's cool and all, but I can't use anything but AMD for my motherboard. So, my challenge to you: help me find a worthwhile upgrade to my CPU (and motherboard if necessary) for under $200.

Any help would be appreciated!

Alex

Current build:
1 x AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX
1 x ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
1 x SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
1 x Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, ...
1 x SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
1 x Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

I just purchased a RAM upgrade to this:
1 x G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
07-30-2012, 10:36 AM,
RE: I followed your build 2 years ago, time for an upgrade!
I also, would recommend the CPU/MOBO build on the latest best budget gaming pc.

Processor: $117
Intel Core i3-2120
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KZD...B004KZDV8E

Motherboard: $65
ASRock B75M LGA 1155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...067296&SID=

Total: $185

Cheers!
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
07-30-2012, 11:10 AM,
the only bad thing about upgrading to intel, is that more than likely you will have to purchase a new copy of windows.

if you want to keep the amd platform, the phenom ii x4 965 is still available for 109 bucks at newegg and it will last you a couple of more years unless of course you have a hardware failure, add a $25 cooler for OC and you should be good. the 5770 could be upgraded to a 6850, but that would mean you would have to sell the 5770, in order to stay within your budget limits.
07-30-2012, 11:39 AM,
Yea, if you don't have retail, like PwnBroker said, you have to buy a new copy. However, there are things you may be able do..

1. Uninstall all drivers and then simply replace the motherboard, then if the system boots up, the drivers will automatically install. (probably won't work because you would be going from AMD to Intel) If it doesn't work you can try to run system repair with your new motherboard in. This method will likely lead to some driver issues throughout the system and a complete reinstall is recommended.

2. Call up Microsoft and tell them your old motherboard is no longer working and you got a new motherboard. Even though its not in their policy, they usually are pretty lenient about transferring copies. I've done this twice.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM,
(07-30-2012, 11:39 AM)ichigeki Wrote: Yea, if you don't have retail, like PwnBroker said, you have to buy a new copy. However, there are things you may be able do..

1. Uninstall all drivers and then simply replace the motherboard, then if the system boots up, the drivers will automatically install. (probably won't work because you would be going from AMD to Intel) If it doesn't work you can try to run system repair with your new motherboard in. This method will likely lead to some driver issues throughout the system and a complete reinstall is recommended.

2. Call up Microsoft and tell them your old motherboard is no longer working and you got a new motherboard. Even though its not in their policy, they usually are pretty lenient about transferring copies. I've done this twice.

those are good suggestions, and i have used them successfully especially #1 and number #2 depending on what kind of mood the service rep is in. lol.

but (depending on resolution), it wouldnt really be worth the extra for an i3 upgrade, according to tom's sub 200 dollar gaming cpu list:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best...859-2.html

at 1080p you wouldnt notice a difference.

the only game which the i3-2120 really shines over the amd x4 970(which the 965 is comparable to), is SC2. the rest it trades blows with, and that chip can be overclocked to 3.8-3.9 gig 24/7 oc with a $20 cooler, CM 212.

and if i was going to upgrade to an i3 it would be with a 7 series board to make it more future proof.
07-30-2012, 07:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 07:13 PM by Alex2290.)
Well, here's a little more info:
- I play all games at 1920x1080 at max settings.
- The main games I'm playing at the moment: Eve Online, League of Legends, and Minecraft.
- I want a powerful enough processor to run a lag-free minecraft server.

I don't know much about overclocking, but I know enough to do it. To do it correctly, idk. Smile I only have 3 case fans. My computer tower is sitting on top of my desk, pretty close to where I sit. If I were to overclock a phenom x4, I would obviously have to buy an aftermarket cooler. My question is would that be much louder than a stock cooler? And would I have to buy more case fans to achieve a stable temp?

I noticed ichigeki suggested a dual-core CPU. What is better about a dual-core than a triple or quad-core CPU? I always thought that the more cores, the better.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I had no idea there might be an issue with my OS if I switched from amd to intel. Now I know to be prepared if I do. Smile
07-30-2012, 07:20 PM,
I just went out and found a AM3 aftermarket cooler that has a huge heatsink and 16dB fan. That's pretty low noise I'd say.

Here it is!

With it you can overclock your current cpu some more without risking overheating, compared to the stock cooler. If you'd sell your current gpu for an upgrade, you could stay well within budget without doing too much tinkering. Considering you'd have to call MS when you change mobo. Of course it's not that future-proof.

If you look around for other coolers there are probably cheaper/better ones out there. But this one I found on short notice and has fairly low noise level. I thought you'd might like that.
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB. CPU: Intel i5 4670k @ 4,4gHz. Mobo: Asrock Z87 Extreme4. PSU: Corsair RM1000i. GPU: ASUS Strix 980ti. RAM: G.Skill TridentX 2400mHz C10 2x8gb. SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 256gb. OS: Win7. HDD: WD Digital Red 2tb. More! I need more!
07-30-2012, 08:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 10:00 PM by Alex2290.)
edit: Still trying to decide.. Very hard. Lots of different opinions.

edit2: After looking at some benchmarks, I'd have to say Intel is better for games and applications that don't use a lot of threads. Seeing how one of my goals is to set up a dedicated minecraft server, I may have to switch to intel.. If I were to upgrade my mobo and my CPU to Intel, I may stretch my budget a little more seeing as how I could just sell my current mobo and CPU.

I might stick with AMD and buy a x4 to overclock.

How about this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103727
If I get this CPU, I want to overclock it to at least 3.8ghz, hopefully 4.

@Konvikt Thanks for the cooler suggestion! Seems really quiet, but many reviews are saying it's a pain to put on and only saw drops of ~3-5 C. If it's quiet and keeps it cool, then I'll suffer through the set-up. (I also heard some coolers block RAM slots.. should I be worried about that on my motherboard?)

Now.. another question.. Will my PSU be enough for the additional RAM, CPU, and cooler?
07-31-2012, 01:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012, 01:37 AM by Brandonsr.)
Re: I followed your build 2 years ago, time for an upgrade!
Yes. your PSU is fine. And sticking with AMD and overclocking the 965 will definitely be a cheaper solution. Although upgrading to Intel will be better for future upgrades.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 CPU: i5 3570K Cooler: Water Loop Motherboard: ASrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Z68
Memory:
Corsair Vengeance 8gb] Video Card: EVGA GTX 1070 FE Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w
Storage:
Samsung 840 120gb
Monitor:
Acer S231HLbid 23" Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue
07-31-2012, 07:17 AM,
@Alex2290: yeah that cooler needs an out-of-case assembly. You'd have to take out your mobo, put the cooler on and put it back. I thought it looked cool with the led fan attached to it Big Grin.

Take a look at Phanteks PH-TC14PE or this one here: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=341

I believe overclocking to 4gHz should be futureproof enough for 2 years. But that's me Wink.
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB. CPU: Intel i5 4670k @ 4,4gHz. Mobo: Asrock Z87 Extreme4. PSU: Corsair RM1000i. GPU: ASUS Strix 980ti. RAM: G.Skill TridentX 2400mHz C10 2x8gb. SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 256gb. OS: Win7. HDD: WD Digital Red 2tb. More! I need more!