You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm (still) having trouble booting Windows 7.
07-28-2012, 06:27 PM,
I'm confused! I recently (well... weeks ago) finished building my first computer, and I'm pretty much certain I have everything hooked and plugged in (both sata / data cables for my optical drive / hard drive, my front umbilical cords... Everything), but I can't seem to boot Windows 7. I'm using an OEM copy of Windows 7. I've set my boot options to: #1: (my optical drive), and #2: (my hard drive), and I've switched my optical drive settings to IDE and to AHCI to see whether I could boot Windows from either. There're lots of fairly confusing sub-options within AHCI / IDE that I'd rather not tamper with, but perhaps they're the root of my problem -- I don't really know.

If it helps, whenever I insert my disc into my optical drive, I hear momentary whirring -- as if my system is reading the disc. However, when I "strike a key" to boot Windows 7, the "please select boot media / strike a key to continue" message pops up again after roughly 30 seconds -- as if my media isn't being recognized properly or something. Could anyone offer some tips as to what could be wrong? Much appreciated.
07-29-2012, 06:55 AM,
RE: I'm (still) having trouble booting Windows 7.
Everything must be AHCI(unless you are running RAID). You have to click the "Select boot media".
Dota 2 Beta Tester
Extreme Starcraft II Geek
Still studies Calculus BC in Freshman year..
07-30-2012, 11:25 AM,
Didn't work. There're several sub-options in my BIOS that appear whenever I'm running the drive in AHCI, however... Perhaps those could hold the key as to why I'm not able to boot anything?
07-30-2012, 01:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM by PwnBroker.)
(07-29-2012, 06:55 AM)ricky07652 Wrote: Everything must be AHCI(unless you are running RAID). You have to click the "Select boot media".

this is incorrect. optical drives have no advantage since they cant even saturate IDE and on some MB will not boot from AHCI setting even though it is recognized. RAID is nothing more that AHCI with RAID support enabled and defaults to AHCI if no raid is setup.

(07-30-2012, 11:25 AM)Elena9525 Wrote: Didn't work. There're several sub-options in my BIOS that appear whenever I'm running the drive in AHCI, however... Perhaps those could hold the key as to why I'm not able to boot anything?

which MB do you have? there may be 2 different sata controllers on your board and it may help to change it to a different sata port.(excluding the possibility of a defective drive.)
08-03-2012, 12:59 AM,
Well first of all of if its not recognizing the boot media, could be a few things:

- cable seating: Did you fully plug and unplug each sata cable to the MB and all devices?
- cables: did you switch up the cables between devices to see in one cable may be bad
- bios settings: which is mostly what everyone here is going for. There should be a way to screen capture bios screens and save them to a usb stick (must be plugged in when you boot). Perhaps better to do that so we can see the BIOS settings. Take as many different screens as you feel relevant.

Just some ideas given haven't seen these yet. Let us know if you what you find.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper