You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tier 6.5 Gaming PC build with pics
07-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Wink Tier 6.5 Gaming PC build with pics
Big thanks to Mathieu and to a bunch of others for all the info and advice on parts and how to get everything set up.

Parts:
M/B - Biostar TZ77 XE3 LGA 1155 HDMI SATA 6/USB 3.0
CPU - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core
Cooler - NZXT Havik 140 Dual Fans CPU Cooler
RAM - Corsair 2x4GB (8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB
SSD - Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA III SSD
Optical - LG Optical Drive
Sound Card - Asus Xonar DG 5.1 PCI Interface
PSU - Rosewill Capstone Series 650W 80 Plus Gold
Case - Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower
Monitor - Asus VH238H Black 23" 1080 HDMI LCD Monitor w/speakers

Pics here

I should note that halfway through the build I decided to rotate the Havik 140 90 degrees. It was probably fine the way it was but it seemed to be getting in the way of the first PCI slot. You'll see photos with the Havik set to pull from front to back and, later on, set to pull from bottom to top.

Also, I took a close up pic of my HD Audio cable to show that the HD Audio pins are in a pretty weird place on the motherboard.

Some thoughts (and more questions Blush)

1. The Asus Xonar DG sound card isn't being picked up in my PCI slot for some reason. The drivers won't take. Getting that "Please plug in your Asus Xonar DG Audio Device." message. I'm guessing I'll need to go back in there and re-seat it to check. I thought I was a pretty good seater though! Cool

2. Should I wait a week or two before attempting any overclocking? I heard that thermal paste needs some time to "cure" before it's safe to overclock.

3. My M/B supports something called "Virtu MVP" by a company called Lucid I think. Do you guys know about this? Does it really enhance graphics?

Anyway, I'm good to go for now! WoW is running perfectly in ultra. I was playing on an iMac before - Core Duo and old integrated graphics. Confused This is COMPLETELY different (obviously). Thanks again, guys!

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k Ivy Bridge CPU cooler: NZXT Havik 140 Mobo: Biostar TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD PSU: Rosewill Capstone Series 650W 80+ Gold Audio: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 sound card Screen: Asus VH238H 23" 1080p HDMI LED monitor Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Cherry MX Brown
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 11:29 PM
RE: Tier 6.5 Gaming PC build with pics
Wow nice pics- especially love the one from below the GPU showing all the fans above. Also realized what my desk is missing- that cool little shelf custom made for an adult beverage---very nice!!!
07-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Beautiful. Very nice build. The HAF 932 was a great choice. Much more room above the motherboard than my Corsair 600T.

Case: Corsair 600T CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140 GPU: Asus GTX 670 DC2T SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X PSU: Seasonic X750 80+ Gold Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG Keyboard: Logitech G110 Monitor: Asus VH238H 23" LED
07-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the comments guys!

A few embarrassing items to note:

1. The HD Audio cable in that pic should not have been in the mobo. It should have been plugged into my Asus Xonar DG. Undecided

2. Do you think I was able to then download the drivers? Yup.

3. Then after about 2 hours trying to figure out why I still couldn't get the sound card to play back sound, I realized that I still had my Asus Monitor as the default device for audio. Nice one. Switched that to the card and now....

4. THE SOUND - wow, I had no idea what I was missing. I'm still using my junky iPhone headphones but I'm hearing A LOT of stuff in WoW that I've never heard before. So rich. Thanks again, Mathieu, for pushing a little bit on sound cards. It really does make a difference. If my MIR is accepted, it will only have set me back 14 bucks! Big Grin

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k Ivy Bridge CPU cooler: NZXT Havik 140 Mobo: Biostar TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full Tower RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD PSU: Rosewill Capstone Series 650W 80+ Gold Audio: Asus Xonar DG 5.1 sound card Screen: Asus VH238H 23" 1080p HDMI LED monitor Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Cherry MX Brown