You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New CPU cooler problem.
07-10-2012, 11:36 AM,
New CPU cooler problem.
Hi guys

I Installed a new CPU cooler today (be quiet! Dark Rock 2) as my old one (Corsair Hydro Series H60) had started making a weird noise. Iv replaced a few CPU coolers over the years without too many problems, but this time once i tried to start my computer up again it turns on then off after about 30 seconds and then on again then it stays on, all fans, including graphics card and psu, are working but there is no video output my monitor just stays blank.

Now iv tried putting the old cooler back in but i have the same problem and i cant think what else could be wrong. Can anyone please help me out, id really appreciate it.

Thanks for any help.
07-10-2012, 12:06 PM,
RE: New CPU cooler problem.
did you remove the MB from the case when you installed? if so id check cable connections, motherboard mounting, reseat the gpu, etc. and see if anything changes. what does the POST diag tell you, is it normal or does it give an error? the shutting down could be that the new heatsink is not contacting the cpu spreader like it should but then it shouldnt start back up either. are you sure the weird noise wasnt coming from the gpu and not the original cooler?

just some ideas, good luck to you
07-10-2012, 12:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012, 12:51 PM by jorro0121.)
(07-10-2012, 12:06 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: did you remove the MB from the case when you installed? if so id check cable connections, motherboard mounting, reseat the gpu, etc. and see if anything changes. what does the POST diag tell you, is it normal or does it give an error? the shutting down could be that the new heatsink is not contacting the cpu spreader like it should but then it shouldnt start back up either. are you sure the weird noise wasnt coming from the gpu and not the original cooler?

just some ideas, good luck to you

Hi, no i didn't take the motherboard out but i have made sure all the cables are where they should be. iv tried re seating the GPU but still have the same problem. Also i'm sure it was the old cooler making the noise as it is a know problem with that particular cooler. I'm pretty sure the new cooler was seated properly, iv taken it off and put it back on a few times just to be sure.

Any other ideas?

I did notice that the new cooler fan was sitting on the ram but i turned it round the other way so that it wasn't, could i have messed my ram up by shorting it or something?

Thanks
07-10-2012, 02:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM by PwnBroker.)
probably no on the ram slot damage as cooler fans are plastic anyways, unless there was enough force when you clamped down the cooler to damage the socket or cpu. it sounds like a gpu or psu problem. even though the fans spin on the gpu, dont mean a thing, ive seen them fresh out of the box fail like that, but with the machine shutting down after power on and then start up, sounds like a failing power supply as well. idk could be a number of things and quite possibly be a failing component that just happened to fail when you changed out the cooler.

if you got a VOM you can check the supply voltage going into the gpu, if its a pci-e. if it gives you around 12v then at least you know your getting it to the gpu. if you have access to another gpu, try it, although i hate to tell someone to put a known good part into a possible bad system. (could end up blowing the good part). you could also try the other pci-e lead coming off the other rail.

also, does the monitor show that its not detecting a signal?

hopefully its something simple that your overlooking.
07-10-2012, 03:33 PM,
Try taking out the CPU out of the socket and re-installing it. Also make sure to clear CMOS.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
07-10-2012, 03:53 PM,
(07-10-2012, 03:33 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Try taking out the CPU out of the socket and re-installing it. Also make sure to clear CMOS.

good idea, and when you have it out check the pins and socket for damage as well as clean any thermal compound that might have oozed onto the socket or board.
07-10-2012, 06:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012, 06:03 PM by jorro0121.)
Hi

Thanks for all the advice, luckily i fixed it by removing the ram and then reseating it and its seemed to have fixed it, I even got the new cooler on and working.

Any ideas why just removing the ram a putting it back would have fixed it? seems a bit odd that it just stopped working.

Thanks
07-10-2012, 06:17 PM,
New CPU cooler problem.
Probably the RAM wasn't fully seated before.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
07-10-2012, 07:36 PM,
(07-10-2012, 06:17 PM)mwhals Wrote: Probably the RAM wasn't fully seated before.

either that or the pressure from the cooler fan unseated it just enough to cause a failure.

good job on the troubleshooting.