You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a bit of a unique problem regarding my CPU...
07-06-2012, 10:08 AM,
I have a bit of a unique problem regarding my CPU...
Well... To be succinct here, I accidentally dropped my CPU (which was a ~6-ish inch fall, although the CPU landed on its metal heat shield) into my sink just as a drop of water from my leaky facet landed directly onto the bottom of my CPU. Is my CPU ruined, or does it just need time to thoroughly dry? From what I understand, one can wash entire motherboards by submerging them into water as long as they're not connected to any power source, and they'll be fine as long as they have time to thoroughly and completely dry. I'm hoping it's the same story with my CPU.
07-06-2012, 10:17 AM,
RE: I have a bit of a unique problem regarding my CPU...
As long as you didn't have the power connected or there was no electricity going through the system, your components should work fine when they are completely dry.

Awesome luck you had, Big Grin.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM,
(07-06-2012, 10:17 AM)ichigeki Wrote: As long as you didn't have the power connected or there was no electricity going through the system, your components should work fine when they are completely dry.

Awesome luck you had, Big Grin.
I don't tend to have wonderful luck in my life. Tongue

Not sure as to how long I should leave it out to dry, though. Two days? Three? More? I'm also worried that water might've gotten inside the CPU itself, since I didn't shake the water off.
07-06-2012, 10:26 AM,
Depends on the environment you live in. Typically the best way to dry stuff is to place it in rice for a day. Rice will absorb any moisture it gets a hold of. The smaller the rice grain the better.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
07-06-2012, 10:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM by Elena9525.)
(07-06-2012, 10:26 AM)ichigeki Wrote: Depends on the environment you live in. Typically the best way to dry stuff is to place it in rice for a day. Rice will absorb any moisture it gets a hold of. The smaller the rice grain the better.
Thanks for the advice. By chance, would a hair dryer (blowing cool air, obviously ^^) work?

I don't see any water on the pins, now. However, there seem to be a couple of extremely faint dark spots on the pins where the water was -- dust or some other sort of residue, perhaps? Not sure as to what I should do to clean them off, if they are.
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM,
A hair dryer is another good way to dry electronics. Make sure your in a dry place and and yes blow cool low air.