You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie in Cyber Town
06-26-2012, 01:30 PM,
Newbie in Cyber Town
I'm a Mac geek at heart and will one.

Live in Northern California, worked on Molecular Biology and medical research for a few years. Currently getting my Master's in Clinical Social Work (I know, big change...Turns out I find people more interesting than lab mice...)

I have a great desire/dream to one get be able to get a sailplane flying license. Building a decent platform to practice flying in a simulator at home will not only be a fun thing to do but it will save me a ton of money in flying lessons for licensing.

However, as a broke graduate student I will have to put a ton of effort into finding the most affordable way to make this work Wink

If any of you can point me in the right direction, I'm looking to ideally build something that gets me to use Microsoft Flight Simulator with good resolution but for now I'd be stoked if I could get to put something together that will get me flying with Silent Wings. Below is a copy paste of the System Requirements for Silent Wings:

Operating System: Windows XP/2000 or Linux (kernel 2.4 or higher) or Mac OSX 10.4 or higher.
3D Graphics card required with a minimum of 32Mb graphics memory. 64 Mb or higher recommended.
800MHz Processor
256Mb RAM
0.5-4Gb available HD space, depending on how much scenery you choose to install

THANKS!
06-26-2012, 01:50 PM,
RE: Newbie in Cyber Town
Those spec requirements seem VERY low. Basically, any $300 decent company laptop can run it, but what exactly were you shooting for?
More pew-pew, less QQ.
06-26-2012, 02:09 PM,
(06-26-2012, 01:50 PM)tenderanger Wrote: Those spec requirements seem VERY low. Basically, any $300 decent company laptop can run it, but what exactly were you shooting for?

I'm shooting for Microsoft Flight Simulator with a comfortable level of performance. So somewhere b/t these:

CPU - 2.8 to 3.6 GHz+

RAM - 1 to 2 GB+

VIDEO - 64 to 512 MB+

Thanks for the quick reply!
06-26-2012, 03:22 PM,
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a benchmarking game. You will need at least an i5 to achieve 24 fps on high settings. Even my old rig couldn't handle 30 fps on high, much less 60.
FSX isn't that reliant on graphics but if you are installing PMDG, ORBX, CaptainSim or those addons you will need a very good graphics card.
4 GB of RAM will be enough if you aren't running FSX, Firefox with 8 tabs and Sony Vegas Pro in the background.
These are estimates:
With Tier 2 expect 25-30 fps on medium settings at 1080p.
With Tier 4 expect 30 fps on medium high settings at 1080p.
With Tier 6 OCed to 4.5GHz expect 30 fps on high settings at 1080p.
And so on.
BTW I am also an FSX fan.
Dota 2 Beta Tester
Extreme Starcraft II Geek
Still studies Calculus BC in Freshman year..
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM,
Hey thanks!

It's good to know that FSX isn't that reliant on graphics...I'll probably get the add ons over time but for now I just wanna get a basic setup running.
I'll get on doing my homework for now.
Thanks again!

(06-26-2012, 03:22 PM)ricky07652 Wrote: Microsoft Flight Simulator is a benchmarking game. You will need at least an i5 to achieve 24 fps on high settings. Even my old rig couldn't handle 30 fps on high, much less 60.
FSX isn't that reliant on graphics but if you are installing PMDG, ORBX, CaptainSim or those addons you will need a very good graphics card.
4 GB of RAM will be enough if you aren't running FSX, Firefox with 8 tabs and Sony Vegas Pro in the background.
These are estimates:
With Tier 2 expect 25-30 fps on medium settings at 1080p.
With Tier 4 expect 30 fps on medium high settings at 1080p.
With Tier 6 OCed to 4.5GHz expect 30 fps on high settings at 1080p.
And so on.
BTW I am also an FSX fan.