You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDD Recognition Issue First Build
06-13-2012, 06:14 PM,
Hey All,

So everything went well, as far as I can tell, with my build so far. Test boot fine, everything fine until this. I watched the NewEgg video here and he recommends not plugging in the HDD until after I was done installing Windows on the SDD. I did this. So after Windows was on my freshly partitioned SSD, I turned off the machine, connected the HDD.

Windows shows that the HDD drivers have been installed. It shows up in Device Manager. It shows up in the BIOS, though not in the boot order, it shows up under some sub menu specific to the disc drives. It doesn't show up in Disk Manager, so I can't format it (just the two partitions of the SSD show up here). And lastly it does not appear under My Computer in Windows Explorer (again just the SSD shows as C Drive).

I think it is a SATA 3 so I had it plugged into that. I switched it to a SATA 2 to see if anything changed and it did not fix it. I have these both on one SATA chord that came with the PSU. The SSD is on the SATA plug furthest from the PSU and the HDD is on the plug closest. Does order here matter?

I also have the DCD drive on its own dedicated SATA chord.

What am I missing here? I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in alright since Windows detects the new hardware (the HDD). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all.

HDD= SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SSD= SAMSUNG 830 Series 2.5-Inch 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM,
RE: HDD Recognition Issue First Build
Did you watch the 3rd newegg video? About 30 minutes in he talks about how to get the HDD detected and formatted. I forget if it needs to show in the Disk Manager for that though, so you might have already tried that.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Zotac AMP! SSD: Crucial M4 128GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold Sound Card: None (Integrated) Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260 Gaming Mouse: Logitch Gaming G500 Monitor: Viewsonic 24" LED-vx2453
06-13-2012, 08:24 PM,
Try a different SATA data cable, see if that helps.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
06-13-2012, 09:51 PM,
Thanks for the fast help guys. Somehow it showed up. Wasn't doing anything differently than the other attempts, but it simply just showed up as if by magic. I'll take it. So we are running.

Another question popped up though, since I have not had a boot SSD before. Is there a way to get the download, program(86) etc, user files from the SSD to the HDD? So that when I download files they aren't automatically being sent to the SSD. I assumed a number of those program files and such had to be on the SSD since that is where Windows is. But going forward, how to I make sure that the only things going on the SSD are Windows and a couple games, and everything else is going to the HDD?
06-13-2012, 10:43 PM,
Set up your documents file pointing to the hard drive so your documents are not on the SSD. When you install programs, you can specify which drive to install them.

If it was me, I would install all programs on the SSD and use the hard rive for downloads and storage.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
06-13-2012, 11:05 PM,
(06-13-2012, 09:51 PM)DinkMeeker Wrote: Thanks for the fast help guys. Somehow it showed up. Wasn't doing anything differently than the other attempts, but it simply just showed up as if by magic. I'll take it. So we are running.

Another question popped up though, since I have not had a boot SSD before. Is there a way to get the download, program(86) etc, user files from the SSD to the HDD? So that when I download files they aren't automatically being sent to the SSD. I assumed a number of those program files and such had to be on the SSD since that is where Windows is. But going forward, how to I make sure that the only things going on the SSD are Windows and a couple games, and everything else is going to the HDD?

Simply specify where you downloads are being saved. For your web browser, you can change this in the settings. When you install a program, select your hard drive as the installation destination. And so on...
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
06-14-2012, 04:41 PM,
like the others said and ill add that on the HHD, make three folders: User, Program Files, and Program Files(x86). you can direct all those files in your user tree to the User folder, and when you install programs all you have to do is change the drive letter. this will put them in the correct folder instead of just having them spread over the drive if you just specify the drive letter without folder and path.

06-14-2012, 06:42 PM,
In Windows 7, create Mydocuments and favorites, downloads, etc. directories on your hard drive. Click the library in Windows 7. Right click Mydocuments and select properties. Select the location tab and select move to move the mydocuments directory you created and click yes to move all documents to that directory. You then do the same thing for your other library items like downloads.

The Windows 7 Library does not really house the files. They are on you C drive under the users directory.

After you make the moves, you will go to those locations when you click the links in Library.

For Windows XP, it is similar, except you click target instead of move.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
06-14-2012, 07:41 PM,
Thanks again guys. I followed your advice and it worked as far as I can tell. Really appreciate the help. PC is still not aflame, so that's awesome. 24 hours, no catastrophes!