You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My build for a quiet gaming pc
01-12-2011, 09:06 AM,
My build for a quiet gaming pc
Hello everybody,

It's my first message on this forum, my name is Georges and i'm french so excuse me for my very basic english!

Anyway, this is my planned build for a very quiet but powerful gaming pc. This computer serve me like a htpc too. Not so easy as you surely know!

-Case: Silverstone FT02 (new version with AP fans)
-PSU: Enermax Modu 87+ 700w (maybe 600w but not a big price difference and 700w is a little better and more "future proof"?)
-Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe (reliable brand, UEFI, maybe possibility to use my android phone as a remote in bluetooth)
-CPU: 2600k with Noctua NH-D14
-GPU: GTX 580 with Thermalright Shaman (problem with VRM cooling, probably necessary but not knowing which to use)
-Ram: 2x4 gb Gskill PC12800 Ripjaws CAS 9
-SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 90 go (system+intensive applications)
-HD: Samsung F4 320 go (light applications+data needing speed)
-HD: Samsung F1 2x750go (data, save...)
-Soundcard: Not sure, i use digital output for my amplifier so maybe that audio chipset is ok.

Your opinion?

Thanks for reading!
01-12-2011, 09:53 AM,
RE: My build for a quiet gaming pc
Bon, un francais, on sais bien! Tongue

Your English is fine actually and I'm Montreal, QC, hence why I also speak French Wink

Before I give you my opinion and recommendations on your future PC, I'd like to know what games you intend to play and at what resolution do you intend to play them at?

Also, did you forget the optical drive (DVD Burner or Blu-ray?) ?
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
01-12-2011, 10:21 AM,
Thanks for reply!

Actually i am playing to COD7:Black Ops and COD4. But it's a computer who, i hope, will last at least 3 years (a bit expensive so...), so future fps and another games are to take into account!
My monitor is a HP ZR24W: 1920x1200, IPS. Dual monitor output serve me to project movies with a videoprojector in the diningroom.

For the optical drive, i have already an 3 years old pioneer dvd burner pretty correct. I don't use that very often, just to install games and rarely watch old dvds or listen old cds.
01-13-2011, 04:21 AM,
Great choice on the case. Cools amazingly well and stays quiet. The design makes ports really accessible. Only thing that might discourage buyers is the price but otherwise it's one of the best cases out right now.
01-13-2011, 09:11 AM,
Yeah Chungster, it's pretty expensive but i'm in love with this case: it's a great concept, great result and really beautiful (i like the limited edition with red interior).
I have currently one Antec Sonata 3 and it's not a bad case but psu is noisy and temps are not so great.

I would like to know if the GTX580's reference cooler will be noisy in load since the case is well ventilated. I will maybe buy the card first and if the noise is acceptable, i will not buy the shaman and vrm cooler, saving near 100€ in the move...
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM,
Grimalkin,

If you want a quiet Gaming PC, forget the reference cooler on the GTX 570/580, these are cards that consume a lot of power and the reference cooler is anything but silent under load. The Thermalright Shaman is pretty much a must with those cards, although you might want to consider the GTX 560 when it comes out on Jan. 25th, since its power consumption will be much lower and it will offer plenty enough performance (for gaming at 1920 x 1200, rumored to be close to the Radeon HD 6950 in performance), in theory anyway.

Just keep in mind that most of the noise will come from the video card if you're not careful, since it's the part that produces the most heat and it comes equipped with a small fan that spins fast by default.

Another suggestion would be to change the CPU Cooler to a Thermalright Silver Arrow, which cools a tad better than the Noctua, but more importantly, is more silent.

The case is not bad, but there are better choices when it comes down to low noise. The Antec P183 comes to mind here, with its sound-proofing features and low-speed fans.

The PSU is an outstanding choice, probably the best in its class, for silence even at high loads. I'd stick with the 700W. The 600W is enough power, but you're getting close to its limit and risk getting more noise as the PSU close in to its limit.

Sound: The Asus P8P67 Deluxe offers Optical S/PDIF Out, which should do the trick. You can try it out and see what you think about it.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
01-13-2011, 01:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM by Grimalkin.)
Hello Mathieu!

Yeah you're right for the gpu cooler but i'm really disappointed than Thermalright don't plan to build a Vrm cooler for GTX580! They just says 580's VRM don't get so hot, but i'm a little afraid anyway lol!

Silver arrow is a good take yeah, thanks for the tip! I look at Thermalright HR02 with a TY 140 fan too, a good choice for silent cpu!

The case seems pretty quiet for me with fans in low mode and when i read the reviews, give good and natural airflow (low to high). But yeah Antec P183 is a good choice, temp and acoustic differences will not be big i think! Maybe P183 will be better for heatpipes "gravity", some forums discuss about it...

Thanks for reply!
Oh i forget: GTX560 is surely a good choice but i think at this price point, i will prefer to take a 6950 and try to unlock it.
01-14-2011, 05:10 AM,
Some update:

-Noctua NH-D14 will be changed for Thermalright HR-02 with one TY 140 fan at very low speed. Better noise, better temp at low CFM.
-Thermalright Shaman will be changed for Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus. A little less silent at fill load but very quiet at idle and normal load. Compatibility is better, vrm cooling included and more compact. Heatpipes disposition is less problematic with this case.
-Kingston Valueram 8gb PC12800 cas 9. Better brand, more compact, same price.
01-24-2011, 08:42 AM,
Hello, i'm currently waiting the parts of my computer.
Final build:

-Case: Silverstone FT02 Limited edition
-PSU: Enermax Modu 87+ 700w
-Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
-CPU: 2600k with Thermalright HR-02+TY 140
-GPU: EVGA GTX 580 (Artic Cooling Accelero Xtreme planned but i prefer to see if the card works fine before to lose the warranty!)
-Ram: Corsair XMS3 2 x 4 Go DDR3 PC12800 CAS 9
-SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 90 go
-HD: Samsung F4 320 go
-HD: Western Digital Green Edition 2 to
-Rheobus: NZXT Sentry LX
-Drive: Asus DRW-24B3LT - black

Total cost: 2050 €

I'll post some pictures once finished!
01-29-2011, 08:05 AM,
http://www.yfrog.com/froggy.php?username=blackrhumbar

Some pictures of my new pc. In some words: fast, super quiet, beautiful, very happy Wink

Thanks for your help, it was not my first custom pc but it is the first i build myself with my own fingers Wink ! Good experience!