You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't find SSD after BIOS update
06-12-2012, 05:00 PM,
Can't find SSD after BIOS update
I built my Tier 5 machine last night; all was well - awesome! Mother board is the Biostar TZ77XE3. Put Win7Pro on the 240 GB SSD as the C-drive (BIOS sees it as Drive1). The 1TB HDD is E-drive (BIOS sees it as Drive0), CD/DVD is D-Drive.

This morning updated the BIOS on the motherboard from original to the current version Z77AF419.BST. (thought I was supposed to). Now Windows 7 won't boot - thinks the OS is on the E-drive. Tried unplugging the HDD from the SATA port on the MoBoard, the OS then believed it should be found on the D-Drive.

SSD is in SATA1(6gb/s) port, DVD is in SATA3, and HDD is in SATA5 3gb/s ports.

BIOS setup screen shows boot priority as 1) DVD, then 2) SSD. The HDD is not in the boot list.

Arghhh, I'm stuck! Any ideas from the board? Thanks in advance!
06-12-2012, 05:08 PM,
RE: Can't find SSD after BIOS update
Do you have to set or turn on the SSD controller in the bios such as in the storage section?
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Zotac AMP! SSD: Crucial M4 128GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold Sound Card: None (Integrated) Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260 Gaming Mouse: Logitch Gaming G500 Monitor: Viewsonic 24" LED-vx2453
06-12-2012, 05:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2012, 05:50 PM by Perelandra.)
(06-12-2012, 05:08 PM)Pineappl Wrote: Do you have to set or turn on the SSD controller in the bios such as in the storage section?

I cannot find anything resembling 'turn on' for either the SSD or the HHD. The SSD is seen in the Boot Order (model # included), so I have to believe it is a known device.
The manual for the board refers to setting jumpers for Master/Slave, but cannot find them on the board, or in the manual itself.
I am wondering if I should disconnect the HDD, then do a Clear CMOS procedure. I understand this rebuilds the device list. But I DO NOT want to brick the motherboard.
06-12-2012, 06:45 PM,
Clear CMOS is the point of trying to unbrick the board lol.
Dota 2 Beta Tester
Extreme Starcraft II Geek
Still studies Calculus BC in Freshman year..
06-12-2012, 07:26 PM,
(06-12-2012, 06:45 PM)ricky07652 Wrote: Clear CMOS is the point of trying to unbrick the board lol.

Yes, I was hoping that's what clearing CMOS did, just didn't want to go rouge without knowing the effects and start 'trying stuff' and really get myself in a tangle. So, finally I did reset the CMOS and rebooted with just the SSD plugged in. That cleared all references to the HDD, but still couldn't boot to Win7.

Finally, did the CMOS clear step one more time, this time had all three devices plugged in (SSD, DVD, and HDD). Still no successful Win7 boot, but SSD was now showing as Disk0, not Disk1.

So... stuck my Windows7 disk in the DVD, rebooted to DVD, wiped the SSD, and reinstalled Windows. Seems like a crappy way, but it worked. Everything is happy and I can start installing applications.

Moral of the story - be careful about updating BIOS without a valid reason to do it.