You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer BSODs constantly
05-14-2012, 06:04 PM,
Computer BSODs constantly
I just built a rig from the previous tier 5 set. I got it all together, installed windows 7 and I will intermittently get BSODs for no apparent reason.

I have gotten errors from MEMORY_MANAGEMENT to IRQL_ and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and more. I can't figure out anything going on.

I have tried installing windows 3 times. I have updated all the drivers I could think of and still it happens. I have tried a memtest and reseating all the components. Also taking out what isn't used.

Sometimes the computer is fine, other times it can't get past the login screen. Yesterday I played all day, today I can't do anything. I've had the computer a week and a half and can't get anything figured out. It seems to be dumb luck to work.

This is my first build and I'm getting really frustrated. I don't know where to turn anymore. I'm too close to just chucking it off a balcony myself along with it.

Components:
i5-2500
Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
saphire radeon HD 6950 2GB
Corsair 8Gb DDR3 Ram
120GB Mushkin SSD
Rosewill Hive-550 PSU
Cooler Master Silencio 550 Case
Corsair Air Series A50 CPU Cooler
Asus PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card Xonar - both with and without this
DVD Burner
05-14-2012, 07:11 PM,
RE: Computer BSODs constantly
Sounds like a motherboard problem. Try removing all the memory but one in the second slot. If that doesn't work put the second srick in slot two. And so on.
Pro tip: As long as you live on the second floor and below your're ok. Just remember to land on one foot.
Dota 2 Beta Tester
Extreme Starcraft II Geek
Still studies Calculus BC in Freshman year..
05-14-2012, 10:02 PM,
Like ricky said, try running different configurations of RAM. Otherwise, it may be overheating issues if it is random. Try using a program like HWMonitor to monitor your temps. If they get very high right before your computer crashes, then you might need to reapply thermal paste and reinstall the CPU cooler correctly.

Cheers!
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
05-14-2012, 10:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM by monkeyfett8.)
I think I found another clue. Today it seems to be crashing whenever I try to install anything. When I restart after the BSOD I get MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BSODS just after logging in, i.e. I don't even get to the desktop.

I also have monitored my temperatures and was the first things I looked at. Temps never get above 55 even under heavy load. I tried reapplying thermal paste anyways when I reseated everything and the performance has been the same.
05-15-2012, 12:16 PM,
that board has had some memory and pcie slot issues. a bios update seems to fix some of it, so i would flash the bios with the most recent update and see what it does.(if you can get to bios)

if that doesnt work, try some known good memory.

as future reference anyone upgrading to ivy say from an i3 and reusing this board, make sure you update the bios before installing the new chip.