You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monitor isn't getting a signal
05-13-2012, 08:50 PM,
Monitor isn't getting a signal
Hi, I have come here with a problem that is very urgent due to the fact that I need my computer for school purposes. I know this forum is very knowledgeable so I'm hoping I will get the answer soon.

My computer isnt newly built, first of all - it's been just over a year since I built this (last April). Today I came home and turned on my computer as normal, but it hanged at the "welcome to windows screen" (I have windows 7). I found it odd because it was taking such a long time so I flicked the power switch for my power supply and had it restarted. Wen I restarted it, the monitor was not getting a signal anymore.

I opened the case of the tower and inside, the video card fan is running as well as the other fans I have installed. The motherboard is running too because I see the power and reset button on in red, but there's another led type area on the motherboard that shows a number. It keeps flickering and I do not know if that is indicating a problem or not.

Please help me! I need to fix this problem ASAP! Thank you.
05-13-2012, 09:25 PM,
RE: Monitor isn't getting a signal
I don't suppose you have another monitor or tv you can test on it would you?
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
05-14-2012, 12:16 AM,
No, I do not unfortunately Sad

Does unplugging the VGA cable mean anything? When I unplugged the VGA cable from the computer, the monitor showed a little moving popup message saying no message signal was received. I then plugged in the VGA cable again and the monitor reverted to showing nothing again.
05-14-2012, 05:59 AM,
Try plugging a dvi cable if your monitor supports it, or use a dvi to vga adapter if not. Sorry for the messy typing, i just woke up.
Dota 2 Beta Tester
Extreme Starcraft II Geek
Still studies Calculus BC in Freshman year..
05-16-2012, 10:12 PM,
I currently use a dvi to VGA adapter cable because my monitor is kind of old. Can there be other problems other than the graphics card to why the monitor is not getting a signal?
06-01-2012, 09:12 AM,
Probably anything else. If you don't get a signal at all, not even the Bios (or that system check before the loading screen), it might be the CPU / Mobo.