You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First time build complete but I can't get windows to boot
05-12-2012, 01:02 AM,
First time build complete but I can't get windows to boot
First off I would like to thank Matthew + a few others who really helped me with this website or suggestions/help on getting the right pieces that fit into my budget. Would have been 10x more work with out all this info available to me Smile.

Build =

-Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
-BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
-CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
-Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock, front usb3.0
-EVGA GeForce GTX 480 700MHZ 1536MB GDDR5 2xDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card(Got for 199$ I know old card but best value for my money imo)
-ASUS 24X DVD Burner
- Using my old HDD(this is where I made my mistake I think :/)

Ok so I take my time putting everything together everything goes smooth(except my cable management is pretty bad even with this case) I don't get my video card until next week so I planned to rock the intel HD 4000 that comes with cpu.

I go to boot up windows bar comes on to load then computer restarts itself at about 2 seconds in. I then go into bios look at all my options hoping to see something to fix it. I don't so I don't change anything but I did see it reads my ram,cpu,dvd burner and all my temps are reading really cool and good.

I try to boot it up a few more times always the same thing as soon as windows starts to load 2 seconds in computer restarts itself.

Anyone have any idea on what might be wrong? I heard you can just simply use your old HDD with windows installed but I googled it and ppl said that I have to do a full repair with windows disc(which I don't have) or simply that new mobo = new HDD you cant use your old one is this true?

My thoughts is 1. Borrow my friends win7cd to try a repair 2. format hard drive reinstall windows 7 3. buy new hard drive install windows.

Thanks for any help I would like to get this up and running by the 15th Smile

Sorry for the wall of text but I tried to include as much info as I could.
05-12-2012, 01:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012, 01:33 AM by Phrosty.)
RE: First time build complete but I can't get windows to boot
So am I correct in assuming you already installed windows? Or is this when you try and install it?

edit - So I am google searching all kinds of stuff. It ranges from a ram issue to a motherboard issue to a psu issue. Grr.
edit2 - can you boot into safe mode?
edit 3 - From what I am seeing it is most likely some sort of driver issue, maybe get on a different machine and download the drivers needed and copy them to a usb drive and boot into safe mode as admin (assumign you can boot into safe mode) and install each driver one at a time and after each install restart and see if that fixes the issue. If not, go back into safe mode then try a different driver.
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
05-12-2012, 01:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2012, 02:03 AM by SZAGENT.)
(05-12-2012, 01:26 AM)Phrosty Wrote: So am I correct in assuming you already installed windows? Or is this when you try and install it?

edit - So I am google searching all kinds of stuff. It ranges from a ram issue to a motherboard issue to a psu issue. Grr.
edit2 - can you boot into safe mode?
edit 3 - From what I am seeing it is most likely some sort of driver issue, maybe get on a different machine and download the drivers needed and copy them to a usb drive and boot into safe mode as admin (assumign you can boot into safe mode) and install each driver one at a time and after each install restart and see if that fixes the issue. If not, go back into safe mode then try a different driver.

Ty for quick reply. I can't even go into safe mode. After it posts the windows loading screen comes on loads for about 1-2 seconds then the computer restarts. I never installed windows but I took the HDD out of this computer and put it in my new one with windows already in.

It only gives me 2 options after it fails to load windows and restarts. 1. Run a repair(but I don't have windows cd) 2. Start windows normally.

My friend told me I could use my old HDD with windows on it NP. But now I began googling and it appears unless my Mobo's are very similar I am going to run into issues.

So tomorrow I am going to try 1. Repairing with a windows 7 cd 2. Format the HDD and reinstall windows 3. Buy a new HDD and start fresh.

Unless someone has come across this the error code my mother board gives me does not even exist in the manual :/.

EDIT 1: I don't think it is a ram issue as I have installed ram many times and when you turn on computer there is always that "beep". I hear that and it posts so I doubt its my ram or I would get nothing no screen no beep.

As for PSU/MOBO I sure hope not PSU I doubt it all fans everything works/reads in bios. As for the mother board I really really really hope not but again I don't think so as bios works fine.

Guess I will just try all the windows crap and hope it's that and if not start trouble shooting ram/psu/mobo.
05-12-2012, 04:50 AM,
Re: First time build complete but I can't get windows to boot
When in doubt reinstall windows. ;-)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
05-13-2012, 11:41 PM,
Figured it out it was the HDD with old windows working on it. I didn't even bother to try a repair I just fresh installed first before formatting and it worked fine with my old files in a folder then I formatted and installed windows 7 and it worked fine.

For those of you wondering about the intel HD 4000 it runs league of legends with everything on high at 60fps does not even dip(1600x900 resolution). I changed everything to ultra and it ran at 30-35fps. I am waiting on my graphics card but maybe this information will help someone who is curious to see if the intel hd 4000 will work for gaming. I will post a new thread with diablo3 stats as I am playing tomorrow at midnight and my graphics card won't be here until thurs/fri.

Intel HD 4000 also rates 6.5 on gaming graphics and 6.5 on desktop graphics for those curious.

Big thanks once again to this website and everyone who helped me with suggestions etc on the website I will try my best to help others to Smile.

05-14-2012, 10:12 AM,
Nice. I'm awaiting Diablo 3 as well, were supposed to be able to install it right now (if you bought digitally from blizzard's site) but we can't... Sad
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Zotac AMP! SSD: Crucial M4 128GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold Sound Card: None (Integrated) Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260 Gaming Mouse: Logitch Gaming G500 Monitor: Viewsonic 24" LED-vx2453
05-14-2012, 03:34 PM,
(05-14-2012, 10:12 AM)Pineappl Wrote: Nice. I'm awaiting Diablo 3 as well, were supposed to be able to install it right now (if you bought digitally from blizzard's site) but we can't... Sad

Really I was about to pre order now and getting everything pre downloaded(to beat the rush at midnight)...So you have to do it all at midnight like everyone else :/?
05-14-2012, 04:58 PM,
Oh no, do it now. I was just a bit early, you can pre-download since you could pre-purchase. But NOW you can install it too and be playing as soon as the servers go live.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Zotac AMP! SSD: Crucial M4 128GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold Sound Card: None (Integrated) Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260 Gaming Mouse: Logitch Gaming G500 Monitor: Viewsonic 24" LED-vx2453