You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shorted PC while it was on; Motherboard turns on w/no ram and goes on and off w/ram
05-10-2012, 10:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM by exophaze.)
Shorted PC while it was on; Motherboard turns on w/no ram and goes on and off w/ram
I kinda wished that my first post here would've been about my successful build but here i am.

I actually managed to get the pc built and run windows 7 no problem. Here comes the part i regret so much though. I was wiring some fans on the back side of the case and accidentally smacked my hand on the back of the motherboard where the cutout of the case was. To make things worse, i was doing this while the computer was on. Pc automatically shut down after that and i also saw some smoke inside the case. I suspect a piece of styrofoam that managed to get itself in my case that had stuck to the motherboard heatsink( motherboard is a biostar tz77xe3). Afterwards when i tried to reboot, the computer turns on then off with all components attached at the time working until it shutting down. Only codes that appeared on the mother board was 72 then a 9A. Both are not present in the biostar code list. I then proceeded to removing the board and starting it with just the motherboard, psu,ram, and cpu. There were no post beeps with the speaker attached and proceeded with the same problem, turns on for 5 seconds or so then turns off and then again turns on until it shuts down once more and this repeats indefinitely. I am now wondering if I managed to short circuit either my motherboard or cpu with what happened. I have checked all the capacitors and none look burned. It's kind of hard to check the actual pcb as it's dark brown but it also doesn't seem burned. Like i said earlier, i suspect a small styrofoam piece that hit a the top heatsink of the motherboard. CPU also looked fine but I am not sure whether that assures the cpu is okay. The power supply is a Rosewill Hive 750w and cpu is a i5 3570k. In the case that any of them shorted out, will i still be able to make a rma? Hopefully none are but I'm really limited to what i know since this is my first try at building a pc. I would appreciate it if someone could help me troubleshoot the problem.

update: it seems like 9A means that the cpu is overheating but i already replaced the thermal paste and it still shows the same codes

update: I tired breadboarding without ram and i get a short beeps in intervals. After adding ram, that's when the motherboard shuts off and on. Does this mean the motherboard is okay and the ram is what needs replacing?

update: I now get postcode Ab when i start the motherboard and in the biostar handbook it says, "Prepare bbs for Int 19 boot. Init MP tables." Not sure what this means.
05-11-2012, 09:52 AM,
RE: Made a careless mistake
Probably want to RMA the motherboard. You don't need to tell them how it happened Tongue.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Zotac AMP! SSD: Crucial M4 128GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold Sound Card: None (Integrated) Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260 Gaming Mouse: Logitch Gaming G500 Monitor: Viewsonic 24" LED-vx2453
05-11-2012, 11:20 AM,
Made a careless mistake
I agree. The MB is "bad" and needs returned. Wink
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
05-11-2012, 02:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM by exophaze.)
Thanks for the replies so far. I'd also like to know if there was a chance the cpu and ram have been damaged along with the motherboard during the crash, and is there any way to check this?

05-12-2012, 06:32 AM,
RE: Shorted PC while it was on; Motherboard turns on w/no ram and goes on and off w/ram
If you have another motherboard that supports p67 or z68 or those, test them on there.
Dota 2 Beta Tester
Extreme Starcraft II Geek
Still studies Calculus BC in Freshman year..
05-12-2012, 09:03 PM,
(05-11-2012, 02:03 PM)exophaze Wrote: Thanks for the replies so far. I'd also like to know if there was a chance the cpu and ram have been damaged along with the motherboard during the crash, and is there any way to check this?

Most likely not, but you can check the CPU socket and the CPU for physical damage (burn marks). Other than that, you can only test them with a working motherboard Wink
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518