You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tier 7 Build Review
05-10-2012, 10:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2012, 05:02 PM by mattr4569.)
Tier 7 Build Review
So my plan is to base my build on Matheiu's Tier 7 build and I've listed all the possible parts below. I plan to use my build to play recent games (especially those that are free to play including Tribes Ascend, Blacklight Retribution, LOTR, Global Agenda, as well as other high end games that aren't F2P). I would like this build to last for at least 3-4 years before upgrading. I do plan to overclock although I have no experience so I will definitely take it slow and don't intend to push the OC on the CPU too high when I get around to it. So anyway here is the parts list:

Case:
Coolermaster HAF 932
OR
Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Leaning towards the 600T because I like the easy opening side panel, the popout front and top parts. Does the HAF 932 have better air flow because it is more open?

CPU:
Intel Core i5 3570K
I will likely buy this from Microcenter since I'd be able to get this for $50 cheaper.

CPU Cooler:
NZXT HAVIK CPU Cooler with Dual 140MM

Motherboard:
BIOSTAR TZ77XE3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
OR
GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Z77
OR
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
Will choose the 2nd or 3rd option if I buy the CPU from Microcenter. Is it worth it to spend the $170 for the Asus MB or does it not add that much more than the Gigabyte MB?

RAM:
Corsair Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600
OR
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
I know 16GB is probably too much but I like to have open a lot of programs while playing games (internet streaming Pandora, iTunes, Microsoft Word, Ventrilo/TeamSpeak, etc.). Is 8GB enough for this or should I spend the extra $50 (since I have the money for it now) to get 16GB since I want to keep this PC for awhile anyway without upgrading?

GPU:
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670
Hopefully this will come in stock soon. Is it worth it to get a 680 if I have the money now or should I wait and upgrade a few years down the line and save $100?

SSD:
Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 256GB
Already bought on sale. Likely will add an HDD in the future.

PSU:
SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze If GTX 670.
OR
Rosewill CAPSTONE Series CAPSTONE-650 650W If GTX 680.
Out of stock but should come in tomorrow.
I really would like a modular PSU but is that even important for my build. Is my case going to be large enough that extra unused cables won't get in the way if I end up buying the Rosewill 650?

Optical Drive:
Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive

Sound Card:
ASUS PCI 5.1 Channel Sound Card XONAR_DG

This is my updated build from a few weeks ago. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone may have. Thanks guys.
05-10-2012, 11:23 AM,
RE: Tier 7 Build Review
nice case, i like the military look, big.

ivy bridge, nuff said.

the d14 is a little better cooler, quieter but the harder you push the cpu and voltage the gap narrows between the two.

i like gigabyte products, nothing wrong with biostar according to the reviews. the difference between the ud3h and ud5h, well as mat said, its an upgrade. about the best thing i see i better audio, more ports, etc.

ram, make sure you get a kit that is compatible with whatever MB you choose. i always like to refer to the QVL on any of my builds. your platform would be dual channel memory, quad channel is for SB-E platform. only programs like the heavy duty photo editing and virtual machines eat a lot of memory and if you will be doing a lot of that then it would be wise to invest in more memory above 8gig.

cant go wrong with either 680 or 670 if you can find them, especially in an sli config vs amd xfire config.

if you swap the psu, make sure you get one from mats list as they all check out. remember, the psu is the heart of your system.

good luck.
05-10-2012, 12:09 PM,
Thanks for the advice. Where do I find information about QVL? I didn't even know what this was before I google'd it, so where would I find information that would be useful in choosing my parts?
05-10-2012, 12:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM by PwnBroker.)
at the MB manufacturers site under the specifice motherboard details. here is a link to the gigabyte site as an example. also keep in mind that not every vendor may be on that list as a verified memory module.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product...id=4140#sp
05-18-2012, 05:01 PM,
I updated the parts list and I'd appreciate any comments and feedback. I want to start this build as soon as possible since I've been waiting since January for this!!