You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If you could change one thing about HR.
05-08-2012, 04:23 PM,
If you could change one thing about HR, what would it be? We don't often get feedback other than why did you pick this part or that part.

Would you like a broader range of articles? Or perhaps some specific articles? Maybe videos? Who knows. I am curious as to what can be done to make this Site better than it already is. :-)

Don't worry you will not offend us with your suggestions. This is an open forum for any opinions. Except where flaming is concerned. ;-)

Sent from my rooted EVO 4g using Tapatalk 2
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
05-08-2012, 04:57 PM,
RE: If you could change one thing about HR.
I know there are many resources around the web, but maybe some articles on overclocking, best software/programs for your newly built computer, etc. I know this is "Hardware" Revolution but maybe some articles even briefly introducing other aspects of computer building/set-up (and/or providing quality links) would be nice. From reading HR I've gained a huge amount of knowledge about hardware, but my understanding of BIOS, CMOS, updating firmware for SSD's, etc. is still very little. I know I'll probably learn much more through experience when I actually build and set up my computer and probably watch a few videos, but any articles explaining these more in depth would be nice.
05-08-2012, 05:34 PM,
I would be curious was to where research is done to come to conclusions about parts, concepts, features, or comparisons. Basically what sites or articles that can be used to help further our knowledge and understanding of parts or upcoming technology. If you favor any sites over others or view some sites as "bad" or detrimental to the learning process.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Zotac AMP! SSD: Crucial M4 128GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold Sound Card: None (Integrated) Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260 Gaming Mouse: Logitch Gaming G500 Monitor: Viewsonic 24" LED-vx2453
05-08-2012, 07:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2012, 07:21 PM by Phrosty.)
Re: RE: If you could change one thing about HR.
@mattr4569
So basically an article that is something like "I just built my new rig, now what?" That would be an awesome addition. Good thinking.

@pineappl
I think that's a good idea too. That way people that wanna learn can see the facts for themselves. :-)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2012, 10:07 PM by Phyrre56.)
Here's a suggestion that might be new. I would really like more discussion about the selection process (as mentioned above) but also a deeper understanding of the difference between the recommended part and its competitors.

For example, when selecting RAM, there are usually many options that are virtually equivalent and you're just selecting on price at the moment. The official recommendation might be a G. Skill model but maybe the Crucial RAM is just as good. That's important to know since sales change so rapidly. You could even do a tier system like with the SSDs -- "Feel free to buy any 8GB RAM kit from among these reputable manufacturers..."

That's the biggest thing I learned doing my build. You have to research at the moment. Prices change, ratings change (like a bad batch of a product that cropped up after MB's latest article), new benchmarks are released, etc. I think the site would be well served to mention when there are many competing products that are 99% equivalent.
05-08-2012, 10:44 PM,
(05-08-2012, 10:06 PM)Phyrre56 Wrote: Here's a suggestion that might be new. I would really like more discussion about the selection process (as mentioned above) but also a deeper understanding of the difference between the recommended part and its competitors.

For example, when selecting RAM, there are usually many options that are virtually equivalent and you're just selecting on price at the moment. The official recommendation might be a G. Skill model but maybe the Crucial RAM is just as good. That's important to know since sales change so rapidly. You could even do a tier system like with the SSDs -- "Feel free to buy any 8GB RAM kit from among these reputable manufacturers..."

That's the biggest thing I learned doing my build. You have to research at the moment. Prices change, ratings change (like a bad batch of a product that cropped up after MB's latest article), new benchmarks are released, etc. I think the site would be well served to mention when there are many competing products that are 99% equivalent.

I completely agree. I'm currently in the process of choosing the parts for my build and I want to get the best deals possible, but I also don't want to buy a brand of RAM, motherboard, GPU, etc. that doesn't have a good reputation.
05-09-2012, 01:02 PM,
This is part of the point I was trying to get at in "All about SSD's, installs and tweaking" in the questions area. So, I bought and SSD and these are the system changes or tweaks I should do to keep it running as fast as the day I installed it.

Also, +1 to what mattr4569 said in the first reply.

Case: CM HAF 922 CPU: I5 3570K CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GPU: Gigabyte AMD RADEON HD 7950 SSD: Sandisk Extreme 240GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB MB: Biostar TZ77 XE4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3-1600 Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc PSU: NZXT HALE82 750w Monitor: HP w2338h
05-09-2012, 08:10 PM,
I would like to see the workstation builds get updated as often as the gaming builds. For example, someone building the high end workstation would be building a severely outdated build. It may bring more non gamers to HR, which may be really knowledgable on business, graphics or video editing software.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
05-10-2012, 10:56 AM,
I'd make a separate audio article and put a cross link from the other articles.

05-10-2012, 12:01 PM,
Re: If you could change one thing about HR.
What do you mean an audio article?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2