You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC sometimes hangs at restart/power up
05-03-2012, 01:39 PM,
PC sometimes hangs at restart/power up
Hi guys I recently just upgraded to a larger capacity SSD. On my previous build with the smaller SSD I had my motherboard overclocked in the BIOS. I installed the new SSD and made it the main drive and did a fresh install of Windows on it, leaving the previous MB OC in place. I have no issues with stability or gaming or any blue screens or anything like that. The only issue I am experiencing is with restarting and powering up my system.

Sometimes it will just hang after post at the Windows logo load screen. Other times it will boot up just fine. It does this on restarts and fresh start ups. Could the previous overclock or anything with the mobo be causing this? I don't have a problem with resetting the OC and reformatting again I just don't want to do it if this isn't the issue.
05-03-2012, 02:59 PM,
RE: PC sometimes hangs at restart/power up
I always recommend installing Windows at stock frequencies. While your PC may appear stable overclocked, it can easily corrupt Windows during installation.

So go back to stock frequencies, install Windows and then you can overclock again. Just make sure to fully test your overclock after Wink
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
05-06-2012, 12:33 AM,
It apparently wasn't anything to do with the overclock because I cleared the CMOS and did a fresh install/format and the problem persisted. It ended up being the SATA 6 gb/s cable connecting the SSD to the mobo lol. Replaced that and no problem whatsoever.
05-09-2012, 09:15 AM,
(05-06-2012, 12:33 AM)lardacus Wrote: It apparently wasn't anything to do with the overclock because I cleared the CMOS and did a fresh install/format and the problem persisted. It ended up being the SATA 6 gb/s cable connecting the SSD to the mobo lol. Replaced that and no problem whatsoever.

So it is still doing it after all. I have all of the up to date drivers but I haven't tried updating my bios because I'm scared of bricking it if it decides not to restart correctly during the flash.

My specs:
i5 2500k
ASUS P8P67 (the very first one, without the new stepping)
Corsair Force Series 3 240gb SSD
Seasonic X750 Gold 750W modular PSU
8 gigs G. Skill Ripjaw series 1600mhz ddr3 @ 9 9 9 24

I have the 2500k OC'd to 4.5ghz with a CM Hyper 212+ on it but the problem persists with or without the overclock. I reset the OC to factory, cleared CMOS, took out battery and then did the fresh install of windows and it was fine for a few reboots but then it started doing it again.

It seems to only be when I restart, haven't had any issues yet powering it off and back on but any sort of restart, whether it is via Windows, forced in BIOS or the reset switch on my case.

When the problem occurs it takes longer than usual to post and then when it gets to the Windows 7 splash screen it just hangs there at loading Windows.

I have no idea what could be causing this, the only thing that has been changed is the OS was moved to this new Force 3 SSD, never had this issue when my OS was on my older Sata II G. Skill SSD.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
05-09-2012, 12:54 PM,
My 2 SSDs are on the Intel controller, a regular HDD on one of the Marvels and my optical drive is on one of the faulty sata connections.
05-10-2012, 02:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM by PwnBroker.)
it seems corsair has had some problems with this ssd line and its firmware:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=104179

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278385...e-problems

id call tech support and see if they can give you some instructions on a corrective action.

05-10-2012, 02:41 PM,
(05-10-2012, 02:06 PM)PwnBroker Wrote: it seems corsair has had some problems with this ssd line and its firmware:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=104179

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278385...e-problems

id call tech support and see if they can give you some instructions on a corrective action.

wow thanks, looks like I'm returning this!