You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about mother board
04-28-2012, 09:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2012, 10:13 AM by SZAGENT.)
Questions about mother board
The BIOSTAR H61MGC Intel H61 LGA1155 is suggested for all the budget builds. I do understand it does not support over clocking or dual video cards but does it support running a HDD and SDD drive at the same time?

Also I am on a budgit 800-900$max. At first I was going to try to future proof it slightly by getting a mother board that supports dual video cards and over clocking as the i5-2500k is only 10$ more then the i5-2400 here.

As I was looking for a suitable mother board the price went from 50$ to like 180-200$. I am begining to think its not worth it as by the time I will want to over clock the processor and get a 2nd video card il prob just want a whole new system and video card anyways. I think rather then make the computer "future proof" I should forget about overclocking/option for dual video cards down the road and just spend the extra money on a better single video card any opinions on all of this?

Also even if I am getting the BIOSTAR H61MGC Intel H61 LGA1155 and can't overclock should I still get the i5-2500k over the i5-2400 for only 10$ more?
04-28-2012, 10:55 AM,
RE: Questions about mother board
You can definitely run an HDD and SSD at the same time, the board comes with 4 SATA 3gb/s ports. The only thing is that SSD's can saturate a 6gb/s port so you could lose out on a little performance there by not having one, but it will still be significantly faster than HDD. For the CPU, that should be a good choice, just remember if you choose not to overclocked you can go down to a i5-2500 to save some, although it seems your buying options are a little different.

There are much cheaper mobo's if your looking at 180-200$ mobo's. The new budget article announced this new mobo on the H77 format: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...067296&SID=

This one provides everything you need, 6 gb/s ports, multiple PCI-E slots, but does NOT support overclocking. And future proofed for the new ivy bridge cpu.

If you want overclocking too you'll have to upgrade to this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...067296&SID= for $5 more but it does have free shipping so kinda evens out.

Hope this helps. Feel free to list your other items for your build for more suggestions or feedback.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Zotac AMP! SSD: Crucial M4 128GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold Sound Card: None (Integrated) Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260 Gaming Mouse: Logitch Gaming G500 Monitor: Viewsonic 24" LED-vx2453
04-28-2012, 01:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2012, 01:14 PM by SZAGENT.)
RE: Questions about mother board
(04-28-2012, 10:55 AM)Pineappl Wrote: You can definitely run an HDD and SSD at the same time, the board comes with 4 SATA 3gb/s ports. The only thing is that SSD's can saturate a 6gb/s port so you could lose out on a little performance there by not having one, but it will still be significantly faster than HDD. For the CPU, that should be a good choice, just remember if you choose not to overclocked you can go down to a i5-2500 to save some, although it seems your buying options are a little different.

There are much cheaper mobo's if your looking at 180-200$ mobo's. The new budget article announced this new mobo on the H77 format: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...067296&SID=

This one provides everything you need, 6 gb/s ports, multiple PCI-E slots, but does NOT support overclocking. And future proofed for the new ivy bridge cpu.

If you want overclocking too you'll have to upgrade to this mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...067296&SID= for $5 more but it does have free shipping so kinda evens out.

Hope this helps. Feel free to list your other items for your build for more suggestions or feedback.

Thanks your info really helped a lot. One last question does this mother board support dual graphic cards? My plan was to find a mother board that supports overclocking and dual video cards even though I would not be over clocking right off the bat and only running 1 video card.

But with my small knowledge of computer parts specs I was finding it hard having to watch or read full reviews on tons of mother boards to find out if it was what I was looking for so I had looked at the mainstream build mother boards.

For me going from a 50$ mother board to a 200$ mother board made little sense to "future proof" it as I would have been better off spending the additional 150$ on a better video card....But these two you suggested me are only 35-50$ more and if it supports overclocking/dual video cards then this would make sense Smile thanks so much.

My build I have almost complete I have the money now was just searching for best prices/hoping stuff goes on sale but I am running out of time as I wanted this done for the 15th diablo3! I will list it below for any suggestions!

I am canadian and I ran into some road blocks with everything being way more expensive but I noticed the last couple months newegg at least has matched all there canadian/usa prices.

BIOSTAR H61MGC Intel H61 LGA1155 - $54.99
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3-3.7GHz Turbo Unlocked Multiplier $199
G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz $37.99
Sony SATA 24X DVD Burner 17.99
Rosewill HIVE 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Modular 69.99
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 114.99

~~~~~Things I am still deciding on but best option so far~~~~~

HIS Radeon HD 6870 1 GB (256bit) GDDR5 154.99
Cooler Master Storm Scout 1 x 120mm, 2 x 140mm 89.99
Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced 1 x 120mm, 2 x 140mm 89.99

To be honest the things that are giving me the most trouble are the case/video card(and mother board but you solved that for me already!) For the case I really like the cooler master CM690 II the best but 90$ is a bit steep(its 69.99 on usa newegg :/) I just want it to look decent but if I am to spend 90$ on it I would love to have a big case window on it but I can't seem to find any good ones.

As for the video card I would say 200$ is close to my max budget but I would prefer to spend 150$ or under. So far the HIS radeon HD 6870 is winning but here are some other options I am thinking about.

XFX Radeon HD 6950 800MHZ 2GB 5.0GHZ DDR5 2xDVI HDMI 2x Mini DisplayPort $209.99
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 Windforce 915MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI Display Port PCI-E Video Card $149.99
MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti 832MHZ 1GB 4GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card $188.99

I am thinking the gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 windforce is a better brand then the HIS radeon 6870 but not sure. Also I have seen a lot of people praise the 6950 and its only 60$ up so I am heavily considering this to. In the future I plan to buy a 2nd of the same card when prices drop to have dual video cards.

I know this is long but thank you all for any input given as I plan to order it all by sunday. A big thanks to matthew to this site allows someone who doesn't know much more then the pieces of the computer really get there monies worth and a decent computer Smile.