You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Build / Motherboard Concerns
04-03-2012, 10:05 PM,
First Build / Motherboard Concerns
Hello. This is my first build and I appreciate any guidance the community can give me.

I'm looking for a computer that's good for multitasking and some 3d modeling. Also, it needs to stay pretty quiet despite being stationed in a warm office. The computer will be on most of the day and night.

I believe a quad core is the best option, but I don't wish to overclock. I also don't need USB 3.0, SATA III, or a huge hard drive.

The parts I have in mind mostly come from the budget gaming build:

CPU: Intel core I5-2400 with 3.4 GHz turbo frequency (the suggested upgrade from the I3)
Cpu fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (the suggested upgrade from the stock cooler)
Mobo: Biostar H61MGC Intel H61 LGA1155 (Micro ATX)
GPU: Holding off on the graphics card
RAM: G. Skill 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (2 x 4 GB)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 250 GB
Optical: LG SATA 22x DVD Burner
PSU: Rosewill HIVE-550 550w 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 (borrowed from mainstream games)

I have a few questions about the mobo:

1) If I get the I5-2400, would this mobo support the turbo frequency feature?

2) I heard the Hyper 212 Plus is pretty large and can bump against other components attached to the mobo. Since this is a Micro ATX, is this going to be a big problem? Will it clear the RAM sticks *AND* any future GPU?

3) Could this build handle a workstation GPU like a Nvidia Quadro?

Thanks in advance for help with these questions or any general advice!
04-03-2012, 11:20 PM,
RE: First Build / Motherboard Concerns
1. Every mobo, as far as I know, supports turbo.

2. That depends. It should be small enough to clear the GPU, but the RAM is another story if you decide to get RAM with ridiculously tall and useless heatsinks (short answer: don't).

3. Yes.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"
04-04-2012, 04:23 PM,
RE: First Build / Motherboard Concerns
Thanks for your help, Brian.