You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Upgradable Build (with pics!)
03-26-2012, 01:56 PM,
My Upgradable Build (with pics!)
Hey guys! Just like to share my first rig. I want to thank everyone on Hardware Revolution for all the great assistance.

I usually have terrible luck with computers and I spent at least 2 weeks wasting my work days browsing forums and articles and analyzing solutions to every possible problem I could encounter, but in the end everything came together with very few hiccups.

Here is my build list:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySav...D=26598888

If you want to see all the build pics go here: http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg57...r%20Build/ (Forums only let you upload 10 Angry)

-Core i5 2500k
-ASRock Extreme3 Gen3
-G.skill 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
-Mushkin 120 GB SSD
-2x 200mm Cooler Master blue LED fans
-Cooler Master HAF 912 case
-Cooler Master 212 EVO CPU cooler
-MSI Radeon 6450 (ugh)
-OCZ 600W PSU
-Some cheap LG ODD
-Rosewill Wireles Card (for gaming at friends houses/different rooms mostly bought becuase it was $9 heh)
-Windows 7 Home 64 bit

I chose that crappy gfx card because after rebates I picked it up for $17 and I needed to keep my build as close to $800 as possible. I plan on upgrading the GFX card to either a 560 ti or 6870 as well as adding a HDD by mid April then it will really be complete!

Here are all the parts:
[Image: IMG_0118.jpg]

Removed the extra 3.5 and 2.5 HDD bays for more room.
Installed 200mm fans @ front and top & ODD installed and front panel is done:
[Image: IMG_0117.jpg]

Finally starting on the motherboard. Moved into our tiny dining room to avoid carpet (girlfriend loved that! Big Grin) Notice the anti-static wrist band. I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone doing their first build as well. Don't buy some of the crap online for $17. I got that at Radioshack for $4.
[Image: IMG_0120.jpg]

CPU and fan are already installed. The aftermarket CPU cooler was definitely the toughest part. In theory I wanted to balance the MB between two boxes for the back plate but I couldn't see so ended up having to stand the MB on the side resting on the back panel connectors using the cardboard boxes to stabilize and that made it a bit easier

*NOTE also the 212 EVO fan did end up slightly blocking the closest RAM slot with the g.skill heat spreaders but I just moved the fan up barely half an inch so no big problem

External test boot was a success got it into the case (see the album) and its BIOS time...
[Image: IMG_0127.jpg]

QUESTION: All the tutorials online showed there being a "release" lever on the PCI-E slots to remove a card, but I believe they were all ASUS mobos. I know there is a little slider on the right side to kind of hold it in place, but is there any type of eject tab or do I just pull it out? I pulled out the gfx card on the text build after not finding any tabs and its still working so I guess not but it feels weird just ripping it out the of PCI-E slot...

Another question...
[Image: IMG_0129.jpg]
Will this be a problem? The case has connectors for HD audio and PC '97 the HD audio is connected so the PC '97, which occupies the same connector, seems pretty worthless but is is ok to leave is still on the PSU like that or should I tie it up? I'm not sure how hot the PSU will get when really running the machine.

Last question (I swear)
I have a stray 4 pin connector since my current crappy gfx card doesn't need one. I ended up moving it back to the front a bit, but should I be worried if this wire gets too close to any metal or hardware? The PSU is only semi-modular so I can't remove it unfortunately.

Here is the finished work running:
[Image: IMG_0135.jpg]
Not the best cable routing, but not terrible for my first build I'd say. Of course things never go as smoothly as planned the MB power connectors ended up being much shorter than I anticipated and with the 200mm top fan I couldn't route them behind the MB. I also wanted to power the ODD and SDD on the same SATA power connector, but they ended up being too far apart after removing the middle 3.5 HDD bay. Oh well, more flexibility when adding my HDD I guess.

Here is the desktop it replaced...
[Image: IMG_0136.jpg]
Pentium 4 woohoo!

Now I just need a new desk, monitor, keyboard, mouse... *sigh* at least the biggest part is complete! Looks so bad on that cardboard box but it will make do. I have the PSI facing down so I didn't want it sitting on the carpet.
[Image: IMG_0140.jpg]
It extremely fast I have 2 instances of EVE online running and the CPU hasn't slowed down at all. I just can't wait to get a decent graphics card and start playing some new games I've missed out on the past 3-4 years!

Again, thanks for all the help I checked the forums daily for the past two weeks while I was conceptualizing my build. Let me know what you guys think! Any recommendations are welcome as well.

03-26-2012, 02:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2012, 02:28 PM by Brandonsr.)
Re: My Upgradable Build (with pics!)
Major improvement from last pc Smile great work thanks for sharing.
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 CPU: i5 3570K Cooler: Water Loop Motherboard: ASrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Z68
Memory:
Corsair Vengeance 8gb] Video Card: EVGA GTX 1070 FE Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w
Storage:
Samsung 840 120gb
Monitor:
Acer S231HLbid 23" Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue
03-26-2012, 03:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2012, 03:08 PM by MathieuB.)
RE: My Upgradable Build (with pics!)
Nice build, congratulations!

When the page starting loading, I saw the old PC first and I was like "What the...?", then I saw the other pictures LOL Big Grin

Think a Radeon HD 6450 is bad? Try the Intel IGP 4500HD (what I have in this laptop urgh). Now THAT's bad Tongue I'm waiting on Ivy Bridge to build my next PC though Smile
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-26-2012, 03:09 PM,
Mid April? Kepler should be out by then... (lol, I always suggest that!)...
More pew-pew, less QQ.
03-26-2012, 03:12 PM,
Ivy Bridge is expected at the end of April, so I'll probably start my build in early May.

Kepler is out, as the GTX 680. I'm curious to see the rest of the series though, as I'm planning to use a Radeon HD 7850 for now (I want a 150W max TDP video card, seeing as I'll building my PC in a Micro-ATX case) but seeing as the GTX 680 offers higher performance than the Radeon HD 7970 while consuming less power, it would seem that the 6xx series is more power-efficient, making me believe that Nvidia might offer a ~150W TDP video with higher performance than the 7850.

Time will tell.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-26-2012, 07:51 PM,
HAF 912 FTW! Wise decision getting a modular psu for that case, you've cleared my doubts about the cpu cooler installed at the same time with the top fan.
2 questions
* why didn't you installed the ssd right in front of the psu instead of the hdd case
* how good are the megaflow's airfolw?
BTW looks very good and once again: HAF 912 For The Win! Tongue
CPU/Intel Core I5 2500 @ 3.3Ghz-cooler/Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO-Case fans/CM MF 200 X2-GPU/Powercolor Radeon hd 4850 1024MB W/ sapphire radeon hd 6870 stock cooler)-MB/ASRock H61M/U3S3-RAM/G.SKILL NS 4GB-PSU/CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX-Sound/Stock-HDD0/WD1600AAJS-HDD2/WDEZRS-Case/Cooler Master HAF 912
03-26-2012, 07:56 PM,
Nice, is that Pentium 4? Lol.
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
03-26-2012, 07:58 PM,
Congrats on the successful build!
Follow Me on Twitter

CPU: Intel i5 2500k Motherboard: ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Z68 Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 6870 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550w Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: Antec 300 Illusion Monitor: ASUS 23" 5ms 1080p Mouse: Logitech G500
03-27-2012, 04:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2012, 05:00 AM by tenderanger.)
Yes, I know the GTX 680 is out, but since their stocks go out with barometric pressure and the guy was I guess searching for a $250-ish GPU, I turned my back on it. Smile
Actually, I still have the mouse that you have, and love it Smile
More pew-pew, less QQ.
03-27-2012, 04:15 PM,
(03-26-2012, 07:51 PM)jangelelcangry Wrote: HAF 912 FTW! Wise decision getting a modular psu for that case, you've cleared my doubts about the cpu cooler installed at the same time with the top fan.
2 questions
* why didn't you installed the ssd right in front of the psu instead of the hdd case
* how good are the megaflow's airfolw?
BTW looks very good and once again: HAF 912 For The Win! Tongue
Thanks! Ya I love the HAF case, and for the price you really can't beat it. I chose the 3.5 HDD bay for SSD because I want to add a HDD and figured it's be easier for the SATA power connector to have them right next to each plus i figured the more unnecessary parts I can remove the more room for airflow/cable routing but once I actually started playing with the cables and I saw how unmalleable they are having the drives so close might be worse than spacing them out a bit, originally i was going to put the 2.5 bay on top of the 3.5 bay which I still might do in a month once I actually get the HDD.

The Megaflows are really nice. The case is surprisingly quiet and it keeps the case COLD for now, I haven't overclocked yet so I haven't really pushed the hardware, but I ended turning them both to half power and it still keeps my CPU/Mobo around 30C. I got both for $30ish plus the discounted case came to around $80 for the case and fans which was great. I'd be hard pressed to find a good case at that price with 2x 200mm and 2x 120mm fans included. I even left the other 120mm off the case for now because it'd be overkill. I'll add it to the side panel vent if I ever need it in the future.

@ichigeki - haha yes that is a pentium 4 check out my album there is a pic of the innards. I was thinking of trying to salvage the ODD or HDD but they are all IDE connections and so old/slow/loud it wasn't worth it.

Anyone have good monitor suggestions? I've been looking at ASUS but they're a bit pricey. H-R needs a best monitors for the money section! (No rush though I know you're working like crazy already Mathieu! Big Grin)
Build Pics|Core i5 2500k|ASRock Extreme3 Gen3|G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB|Mushkin 120 GB SATA III SSD|Cooler Master HAF 912|OCZ ModXtreme 600W