You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alienware Aurora r4?
03-14-2012, 08:57 PM,
Alienware Aurora r4?
I want to get an r4 desktop. Would this desktop be good for gaming, with just the minimum specs that they provide on the custimization section of buying the r4? I want to play games like Dragons Nest, and WoW with No jittery/laggy visuals. Very smooth running graphics is what i want. I know it's overpriced, but I really dont care for that right now. Thanks in advance.
03-14-2012, 10:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-14-2012, 10:11 PM by Phrosty.)
RE: Alienware Aurora r4?
You would save a lot more by building your own. It's not as hard as it seems, many first time builders here can attest to that Smile.

edit - What resolution monitor do you have right now? I know you said you don't care about the alienware price but I still have to insist Wink. Also can you link to the alienware page that the computer is on. Smile
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
03-14-2012, 10:19 PM,
You can build a killer system to do what you want. You can take the current top video card and put two in a system and still come out ahead with higher quality components.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
03-15-2012, 12:00 AM,
(03-14-2012, 10:06 PM)Phrosty Wrote: You would save a lot more by building your own. It's not as hard as it seems, many first time builders here can attest to that Smile.

edit - What resolution monitor do you have right now? I know you said you don't care about the alienware price but I still have to insist Wink. Also can you link to the alienware page that the computer is on. Smile

Well i can get a discount for the alienware since its through dell . _ . so yuh... something like 10% discount.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-auror...spx?~ck=mn
03-15-2012, 02:05 AM,
(03-15-2012, 12:00 AM)xinh Wrote:
(03-14-2012, 10:06 PM)Phrosty Wrote: You would save a lot more by building your own. It's not as hard as it seems, many first time builders here can attest to that Smile.

Well i can get a discount for the alienware since its through dell . _ . so yuh... something like 10% discount.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-auror...spx?~ck=mn
Have you tried getting a custom PC built from brands like cyberpowerpc/ibuypowerpc ? They will give you much better value for money, since it seems like you don't want to build your own.
More pew-pew, less QQ.
03-15-2012, 05:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2012, 05:23 AM by windez.)
(03-14-2012, 08:57 PM)xinh Wrote: I want to get an r4 desktop. Would this desktop be good for gaming, with just the minimum specs that they provide on the custimization section of buying the r4? I want to play games like Dragons Nest, and WoW with No jittery/laggy visuals. Very smooth running graphics is what i want. I know it's overpriced, but I really dont care for that right now. Thanks in advance.

If you do get a dell/alienware my advice would be to get at least 2-3 years of warranty. This is because Dell uses cheap parts and if something goes wrong after the one year warranty is over with, you're stuck (you can't very much salvage the build, cause so many parts are non-transferable, uses non-propeitary parts).

I played around with their settings a little bit, seriously the $1500 sytem:
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (Quad Core, 10MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1GHz
8GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555
1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
No Monitor
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

That GTX 555 is gonna cripple your system.

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-...uary-2012/
The Tier 3 PC would outperform that thing for $$776(guess $900 including cost of shipping and windows), but still even the $580 Tier 2 PC will trade blows with that $1500 alienware!

edit: Also I forgot to mention that the sound quality on some dell pcs sucks. I had to to get an external sound card for my Dell XPS 7100.
03-15-2012, 08:23 AM,
I just configured an Alianware similar to my i7-3930 workstation I plan on building and came with a price of over $3400 compared to the $2200 I am spending to build it myself with better warranties.

For the price of the $1500 alienware R4 that was posted by Windez, you can get a Tier 7 build for gaming, which features a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB, which would blow a GTX 555 out of the water. It also features an SSD that isn't featured in the Alianware bulid.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
03-16-2012, 02:15 PM,
Alienware Aurora r4?
Hi Xinh,

About 3 months ago, I was exactly like you. Looking at the AW website, imagining what I could buy. I then started looking at the equivalent parts on the internet for upgrades if i wanted to do it myself. Pretty soon it became clear to me that with all the parts I wanted to upgrade that buying the same on Alienware was going to be significantly overpriced.

So during my search, I landed here, and realized with the same amount of money, you could get something so much better or if you want to save, get the same thing and build it yourself.

Now I know you weren't looking to build something yourself. Neither was I, nor have I ever built before, but I tell you... What a rewarding experience. OC'ing past 4.1Ghz is cakewalk, and if you choose a 7970 GPU for example, wont need to worry about SLI/Crossfire. So most everything is plug and play.

Given that you have come here to begin with maybe means (just maybe) you want to be talked into it. Highly recommend you try if you have any inclination. You still can get your system up and running before Dell ships the unit out the door with the week long tests they do (I have bought 2 alienware laptops in the past) and it does take forever. Oh, and they always mess up 1 thing in my experience.

So thats my 2 bits. Whatever you decided I'm sure you'll be fine. Just know if you do decide to take the plunge and build your own, you'll find the same extremely helpful community here that I've found.

I'd take that any day over 3 years dell service (which I also have). Smile

Good luck.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
03-16-2012, 02:48 PM,
There's some really nice "how to build a computer" videos on youtube by Newegg that I used to help build my computer. It is scary, the fun party was researching it all and comparing prices. Then getting it in the mail and seeing all those fresh new parts.

Starting can be a bit intimidating but there's plenty of help around. And it's quite rewarding to say that you built it yourself, i don't usually show off but I definitely did when i finished mine.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Zotac AMP! SSD: Crucial M4 128GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold Sound Card: None (Integrated) Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260 Gaming Mouse: Logitch Gaming G500 Monitor: Viewsonic 24" LED-vx2453
03-17-2012, 05:10 AM,
If you don't want to do it yourself then maybe you know someone who can. could even be something to do with others.

I looked at alienware in China and it would have been rmb$30,000. I spent rmb$10,000 for something that was still better
CPU: Intel i7 2600k OC 4.2ghz.Cooler: ASUS silent Warrior.Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3.Graphics Card: XiShi HIS 6970 IceQ.RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR3 1600 2x4Gb.SSD: OCZ Solid 3 120Gb.HDD: WD green disk 2TB.PSU: OCZ 850W 80PLUS Gold.Case: Something Chinese, still good.monitors:Samsung B2230H 21.5-inch. LG 42 inch HDTV. All very quiet.