You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any place to find cases or parts for a laptop?
03-13-2012, 01:30 AM,
Music  Any place to find cases or parts for a laptop?
Hmm, there are plenty of threads here to build your own desktop PC, but are there any places to find how to build your own laptop? I'm assuming that all of these parts are for desktops as well, because special parts need to be bought for laptops.

I'm pretty sure that I want a quad-core Intel CPU, and at least a fair bit of RAM. My current computer only has 1 GB of RAM, but I'm hoping for at least 4 GB. I still haven't looked at the motherboards yet, and I'm still researching GPUs.

Can you point out the places where you can build laptops, or link me to a place where you can get the parts? Also, will I be able to follow the same set of instructions for building a laptop as a desktop?

For all of you who help me or even look at this, thanks! ^_^
03-13-2012, 01:38 AM,
RE: Any place to find cases or parts for a laptop?
As far as I know you can't personally build a laptop, only customize one from a website (usually big corporation).
03-13-2012, 12:26 PM,
Yup unfortunately you won't be able to build a "made from scratch" laptop. The main reason people can build desktops the way they want because there are specific standards throughout the indstry (so a GFX Card you buy whether it be from ASUS, MSI, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc. will fit the PCI-E slot in a Motherborad whether is be from ASRock, ASUS, Gigabyte etc.)

Unfortunately for laptops there aren't these standard for construction so two different laptop companies might have completely different ways or configurations for connecting everything. I think hopefully this is changing (i heard Dell is offering "upgradeable" laptops) but the way focus is shifting more and more toward laptops I'd say it should happen eventually, but probably not until everyone has moved on to handhelds haha. Oh well.
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM,
Okay thanks! I heard that Intel and a few other companies were working on switchable parts as we speak. For the interim, I'll just buy the best gaming computer I can afford. Thanks everyone!