You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Qs about upgrading an older build
03-12-2012, 05:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM by guitarjack87.)
Some Qs about upgrading an older build
So I have a computer that I built using this site a few years back with a Athlon II Rana 445 x3 and a single Radeon 5770, I decided to upgrade that system for my wife so she can use it as her main computer. I am looking for a motherboard that I can use to try to unlock that processor to a phenom, as well as OC a bit. I was thinking this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053YM...PDKIKX0DER

I also already purchased a second 5770 for a very cheap price, I was wondering if the mature drivers allow for decent crossfire, and if it would be worth it in a x16 and x4 set up on that mobo. I did some research on power as well, and since the 430w that I have in there would be cutting it too tight for any kind of OC, i also got a 530w that should give me about a 100w headroom. (the 5770s don't draw all that much power, even two of them)

Basically, besides the mobo question, I was wondering if that processor could be OC'ed enough so as to not bottleneck a dual 5770 set up, as I already feel like the 445 without any kind of OC bottle necks just one 5770. Money is not an issue, but the most intensive game this computer will ever need to run is probably going to be diablo 3 or TOR, and it doesn't need to be at the highest possible settings, just playable with good frames at medium or so with a 1080p monitor. thanks!
03-17-2012, 09:35 AM,
RE: Some Qs about upgrading an older build
This was actually a build from this site a few years back, like tier 4 or something, i just want to upgrade it a bit to use as a lan comp. I tried this question on Tom's as well, got no bites. a response would be appreciated!
03-17-2012, 10:10 AM,
RE: Some Qs about upgrading an older build
For around $400 you can upgrade the motherboard, CPU and RAM to that found in the current tier 4 build. You can reuse everything else. That would get you a much larger boost that overclocking an older processor. The delta in price is even less since you are upgrading your motherboard anyway.
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 GPU: EVGA GTX 650 2GB SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB HDDs: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB and Western Digital VelociRaptor 500 GB Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Pro RAM: 8x8GB (64GB) G. Skill Ripjaws Z 1600MHz Optical Drives: two Asus DRWB1ST PSU: Seasonic X650 80+ Gold Keyboard: Das Keyboard Professional S Mouse: Logitech Performance MX Tablet: Logitech T650 Monitors: NEC P241W and NEC PA241W Speakers: Bose Companion 3 Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64 bit