You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaming PC Build Questions
03-05-2012, 04:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM by tellisk.)
Gaming PC Build Questions
Hi, I found Mathieu's article here http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-...uary-2012/ from Google and first off I want to thank him for putting it together. I think it will help me make some decisions.

I had a few questions about recommendations. Probably the most demanding game I want to play is Star Wars: The Old Republic. I plan on using my tv as a display (up to 1080i).

I could probably afford what is called a Tier 2 system on that article, and I'd be happy with a system that can run the game on medium settings (not too low, y'know). And I also want something that isn't going to end up being out-dated before very long.

That said, I'd love to save money on this so if you think there's any components that wouldn't hurt to drop down to Tier 1 or .75, what would you cut? Or do you think I'd be okay to go with a Tier 1 system (with perhaps some upgrades to Tier 2 components)?
03-05-2012, 05:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM by windez.)
RE: Gaming PC Build Questions
If it makes you feel any better a year and a half ago I paid $1500 for the equivalent of the Tier 2 systemSmile

The Tier 2 systems will run most games very, very well at HIGH/ULTRA @ 1080i. You could potentially drop down to a Tier One system and still be able to run most games at 1080i on MEDIUM/HIGH very well, but you will be losing that "future-proofing." Considering that only $60 seperates Tier One from Tier Two I'm somewhat more inclined to tell you to stay on Tier 2.

Tier .75 will not play games very well at all. If you really want to save up, you could build a Tier One/Tier 2 system, and not buy the video card (use the onboard video) and save up for a video card down the line.

Also as someone who has the equavalent of a Tier 2 system, I can tell you that most games will run VERY well, even with ULTRA settingsWink
03-05-2012, 06:19 PM,
Thanks for the insight. My laptop crapped out while I was trying to install TOR yesterday. I wasn't sure I could even run it but I thought installing wouldn't be a problem. So right now what I'm debating is building one of these towers to use with my television as a display or spending a similar amount of money on a new laptop (just got an email ad from TigerDirect that has some affordable i5 systems that I'd think would be good).
03-05-2012, 09:02 PM,
Personally I much prefer towers; can't stand labtops. Ultimately you have to do what's best for you, but think about it, for the $650 you could have a slow laptop, or a fast tower capable of playing TOR on ultra! Smile

03-06-2012, 11:33 AM,
I agree with windez. If you don't need the mobility of a laptop, then having a tower is a much better option since you can get much more for your money, especially if you build it yourself.
03-06-2012, 05:17 PM,
Thanks, both. I've always liked having a laptop for multiple reasons but I've got a smart phone for most of the applications I'd use my computer for while traveling. I think it'd definitely be more worthwhile to have an actually decent gaming setup.