You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Time Confusion
03-07-2012, 06:26 PM,
RE: First Time Confusion
I highly highly doubt that your carpet will catch fire, but it's a dust trap, so if you can move your case up and away from the carpet, go for it.

Also, you do realize that the CPU (especially the actual chip under the metal heatspreader) is way smaller than the RAM, right? Tongue
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-07-2012, 06:50 PM,
This is true. Less than two hundred square millimeters of space I believe.

I was referring to 'Including packaging' though. Although the CPU might be the smallest discrete piece I could point at, it comes in a box with the heatsink. If the CPU was all I was measuring though, it'd easily be the most concealable piece of the computer. I could wrap that in waterproof padding and carry it under my tongue if I was in a spy movie.

Hmm... a friend raises the question of thermal transfer paste for the CPU. Intel and AMD processors come with stock paste already applied, correct? I'm not going to be overclocking it or anything so I don't think there's any particular reason for me to care about a couple percent efficiency boost from buying and applying aftermarket thermal paste, is there?
03-07-2012, 07:26 PM,
Intel and AMD processors come with stock paste already applied, correct?
Correct.

I'm not going to be overclocking it or anything so I don't think there's any particular reason for me to care about a couple percent efficiency boost from buying and applying aftermarket thermal paste, is there?
Nope. Investing in an after-market CPU Cooler would be a much better use of your money.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-07-2012, 07:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM by Jiopaba.)
Good to have that clarified.

More questions arise suddenly.

The case comes with a separate piece which it says is for holding the graphics card. It says to install some 80mm fan and then clamp the graphics card to it in a certain way and then install that in the case. Apparently this will "improve cooling for the card" or some such.

What?

Also, the card is impressively big. I opened it up just to take a look and when I peeked inside the static-free bag at it, I'd swear it smiled at me and said it was going to have me for breakfast.

I probably had another question, but I forgot it... it'll wind up here eventually I bet. Probably when I suddenly stop midway through putting the computer together and go "Oh crap, I don't know ______!"

Also, apparently the case has a little sign engraved into the metal. All the holes for studs are labelled in two different formats, and it says which motherboard sizes would have which corresponding holes. It's pretty nice.

I think I'm going to go ahead and install the optical drive. There's not much point in putting it off. Maybe seat the hard drive as well.

Edit2: Oh, hey! Here's another question that comes to mind. Is there any particular reason stopping me from cannibalizing extra memory from some of my old rigs? There's another gig or two lying around just waiting to be had. I don't know that I'd have much reason to need more than 8 though. So what I want to know if there's a big downside to installing older memory just because "Why not? I have the extra slots." that I don't know of.
03-07-2012, 07:46 PM,
(03-07-2012, 07:29 PM)Jiopaba Wrote: Edit2: Oh, hey! Here's another question that comes to mind. Is there any particular reason stopping me from cannibalizing extra memory from some of my old rigs? There's another gig or two lying around just waiting to be had. I don't know that I'd have much reason to need more than 8 though. So what I want to know if there's a big downside to installing older memory just because "Why not? I have the extra slots." that I don't know of.

While I may not have as much knowledge as Mathieu, I'm fairly sure taking RAM from older machines for your new one wouldn't be a great idea. If memory serves, slots 1 & 3 are linked as 2 & 4 are linked, and having different memory sticks could cause issues.

At least that's what my techie brother told me back when I built my first rig in 2006.
03-07-2012, 08:31 PM,
(03-07-2012, 07:29 PM)Jiopaba Wrote: The case comes with a separate piece which it says is for holding the graphics card. It says to install some 80mm fan and then clamp the graphics card to it in a certain way and then install that in the case. Apparently this will "improve cooling for the card" or some such.

Edit2: Oh, hey! Here's another question that comes to mind. Is there any particular reason stopping me from cannibalizing extra memory from some of my old rigs? There's another gig or two lying around just waiting to be had. I don't know that I'd have much reason to need more than 8 though. So what I want to know if there's a big downside to installing older memory just because "Why not? I have the extra slots." that I don't know of.

Don't worry about the separate piece for the graphic card. It's not necessary and the video card will get plenty enough airflow/cooling as it is.

You could add the extra memory from your old rigs, assuming that they are compatible with the new rig.

Basically, it has to be DDR3 memory. More likely than not, your old rigs are equipped with DDR2 or DDR memory, which aren't compatible with your new rig.
03-07-2012, 10:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012, 01:47 AM by MathieuB.)
Arghh~ This Cooler Master's toolless hard drive installation SEEMS like it should be awesome. Instead it's a pain. The little noise-reducing rubber washers keep protruding ever so slightly. It doesn't help that the instructions were hopelessly unclear, and I was doing it horribly wrong until I checked for advice on YouTube.

I figured it was fine if they stuck out a little bit, like less than a whole millimeter almost perfectly flush, but when I set the hard drive in it wouldn't go in. After much frustration trying to reduce the bits that extend I tried just pushing one through. It resisted strongly, and when I took it back out to look, the rubber noise-reducers had been scraped to all hell. I grabbed a different one and set it up properly from the get go, but still no matter what I do I can't get the toolless install pieces to lie flush with the plastic case for the hard drive. This is all kinds of annoying. :/

Edit: Hah! Well that was a waste of an hour of my life. Either way, it slid in after a while of fiddling. And now I'm going to go to bed and hope I sleep long enough that when I wake, my Processor, Power Supply, and Motherboard are here. Good night, world!
03-08-2012, 01:48 AM,
Glad to hear that you've figured it out.

On another note, please watch your language, we're trying to keep it PG13+ Wink
03-08-2012, 11:56 AM,
Ah, sorry...

Although, really? I swore at least that much by the time I was ten or so, when my parents weren't around at least. Ah, well.

My power supply, CPU, and motherboard are all out for Delivery right now! That means I'll have them sometime before 6PM. They're in two different shipments cuz' they came from different stores though, so I might get the Power Supply and CPU before the Motherboard or vice versa.

Grr... sitting here reading emails and switching between tabs on Firefox... My computer is lagging, which is something I became inured to ever since I was like six and playing my first games on a computer. I've always been incredibly patient with my technology. All of a sudden though it's driving me up the wall. I know it won't even be twelve hours until I'll never have to put up with that again. Even if I didn't upgrade again for a decade after this, it'd be unlikely in the extreme for Firefox and Thunderbird between them to start taking up 8GB of memory and taxing my new CPU significantly.

Even if in the future games pull away from the quality I'm getting now, I've hit the threshold where just messing around on the computer reading stuff should basically never have me tapping my fingers on my desk and waiting three minutes for the computer to pull up this or that program which was already open that I hadn't touched in a half hour.

03-08-2012, 12:20 PM,
(03-08-2012, 11:56 AM)Jiopaba Wrote: Ah, sorry...

Although, really? I swore at least that much by the time I was ten or so, when my parents weren't around at least. Ah, well.

Well, it's simply because we have readers of all age and while we may not care about cursing, some parents sure do. It's also about keeping the conversion respectful and civilized Smile