You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Time Confusion
03-03-2012, 09:23 PM,
RE: First Time Confusion
Heh, nah. I've got that covered through other means. Specifically a friend of my dads who runs a business and has a handful of extra OEM Windows 7 installations he doesn't mind letting go cheap to his friends. They only use about 20 computers but they've got some unspecificed number licenses which I guess is more than they need, and since they just recently upgraded most of their tech he's fine with practically giving a few away to his friends. He doesn't think they'll be making a big enough change in their computer systems any time soon enough for it to matter. The next time they replace their current setup we'll be running Windows 8 or even 9.
03-03-2012, 09:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012, 09:40 PM by windez.)
(03-03-2012, 09:00 PM)Jiopaba Wrote: BIOSTAR H61MGC Intel H61 LGA1155
Intel Core i3-2120 Dual-Core + HyperThreading 3.3GHz
Radeon HD 6870 1GB
G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz (I went ahead and moved up a few bucks for two sticks)
Silverstone 500W 80PLUS
COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced 2x120mm + 1x140mm

I've already got my own optical drive and a Seagate Barracuda 500GB.

That is going to be one sweet system! That setup will run most games fine in 1080P

Here's a few monitors:
1366 x 768P monitor $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6824009262
1440 x 900 monitor $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6824236077
1600 x 900 monitor $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6824009314
FULL 1080P monitors
$130 LED backlit HP 2311 http://www.amazon.com/HP-2211x-21-5-Inch...74&sr=1-13

Also do you have an hdtv in the house, that you could use as a monitor? You could hook it up to your pc via hdmi cable.
03-03-2012, 09:43 PM,
Haha, definitely no fancy HDTV in the house. Actually, now that I think about it I'm not sure what the screen resolution of the TV in the basement is, but I know it's pretty nice...

Either way, it's probably not worth considering as an option because other people use that for actually watching TV, so I couldn't just commandeer it for my computer even if it would work.

As it is, I'll get by on this old monitor for a while longer. Last time I spoke with my mom she was thinking about getting a new one and said I could probably have her current one. So I might be getting a decent 19" LCD within the next couple months. It's not a huge issue at this point so I'll just hold off on it for a while longer so I don't wind up wasting money.
03-03-2012, 10:02 PM,
Looks like I am late to this building PC "party" hah!

The system that you've ordered should be a massive improvement over your current one and will have no problem running the vast majority of games maxed out on your current monitor, as well as the 19" that you might end up getting from your mother.

As for the build gaming computer website, he's clearly in only for the money, optimizing his website for search engine results, has affiliate links to tigerdirect of all sites. The main issue however is that while he recommends compatible components, they clearly aren't components that are price competitive considering the performance/quality that they offer (or not).
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-03-2012, 11:08 PM,
Yeah, I started to suspect something like that after a while. It had all seemed fairly aboveboard and TigerDirect has been a favorite of my dad and I for a number of years because there's a distribution warehouse so close we can get stuff within twelve hours if we time it right even with 3-5 day shipping.

After I wound up sending them an email to question a few things and the response came back as basically "Tiger Direct is the most amazing place with the most amazing deals and these other things you've questioned me about are silly, you should buy from Tiger Direct," I decided to look around a bit more. That's when I found this place. Just reading through the Tiers suggested and seeing that there were all sorts of references to actual benchmarks and cost/value tradeoffs and such listed made it seem a lot more convincing.

In any case, I should have my new computer here and all assembled within a month or so. Once I've got it all I'll be sure to drop by and say what I think of it.
Okay, disregard my previous silly post about Windows 8 (I did some more research and decided it wasn't worth it for my purposes.) I deleted the post.

Anyway, there was some shipping oddness going on. Apparently, although every other part I had ordered would be arriving within three days or less, the stock motherboard listed for Tiers up to 2 was out of stock. Or... well, that's not quite right. They said it, but any order that I added it to would go from "Arriving within the week" to "Arriving sometime next month."

The second motherboard listed is priced at 90 dollars in the build list, but it's actually 100 right now. The third one listed was still only 105 though, so I went with the third motherboard. I'm getting a ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 now, instead of the standard BIOSTAR H61MGC Intel H61 LGA1155. I had the cash to spare to move up the 50 bucks or so, and I don't see it really hurting. Besides, it means I'm less likely to have to buy a new one within the next several years if I upgrade again.

I moved one of my orders from Amazon to Newegg, upgraded the motherboard to be a bit more futureproof I suppose, and now I'll supposedly have all my parts in by this thursday.

I took advantage of the free trials offered for Shoprunner and Amazon Prime and signed up for those. I used the free two day shipping to get all my stuff coming in before Friday and then I opted out of renewing once the trial was up. So, good deal!
03-06-2012, 02:25 PM,
Glad to hear everything worked out Smile. Yeah amazon prime is awesome. Gotta love the free shipping Smile
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
03-07-2012, 02:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012, 02:44 PM by Jiopaba.)
Haha! The first part was in by the time I got home from class today. I should be getting about half of them today and the rest tomorrow. I've got my new graphics card sitting in the box now. I remember reading someone say that Amazon used nice packing, but these air-filled plastic bags are simply wonderful. Way better than packing peanuts or foam or newspaper or whatever.

Two other parts, the Memory and the Case are "OUT FOR DELIVERY" when tracked, so they should be showing up in the next four hours. I think I might go sit on the porch and wait with my PSP.

Heh... not even built yet and it is providing me with entertainment. I already love my new computer.
03-07-2012, 04:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012, 05:38 PM by Phrosty.)
Re: First Time Confusion
Awesome. Ah cheap entertainment. Reminds me when I bought tons of stuff on Ebay for free shipping and less than a dollar. Love getting packages. ;-)

Sent from my rooted EVO 4g using tapatalk.
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
03-07-2012, 04:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM by MathieuB.)
Haha, I know the feeling. Got some new in-ear headphones today (My Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are awesome, but too big when I want to go jogging lol!). Watch me tomorrow morning, as I wait impatiently for my new camera (Canon Rebel T2i)!
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
03-07-2012, 06:10 PM,
Hah, got the case in! The box is HUGE! The case won't fit under my desk as is, so I'll have to move the back middle shelf up a couple notches.

... huh? Firefox remembered that first paragraph even after I shut down my computer to take my desk apart.

Huh... anyway, the case was too big to fit between the bottom metal panel and the middle metal panel, so I removed them. I just used the middle shelf for holding junk I should have thrown away a long time ago, so that was no loss... and now that I'm looking at the bottom panel I can't imagine why it was ever there at all. The bottom panel was too short from front to back to have the CoolerMaster sit on top of it. So that's gone too. All it did was conceal the fact that there was an inch thick layer of dust and crap accumulated underneath my desk. Ostensibly I guess it could help elevate the computer off the carpet underneath, which I suppose is a valid concern. The Cooler Master has nice little elevated skids though so it can get airflow underneath.

I figure at this point, if heat actually becomes enough of a concern that I need to either open up some more airflow for the case, or I need to worry about my carpet spontaneously combusting, I'll just get a box cuter and take out a piece of carpet around where the case would sit. The furry carpet of dust underneath the metal base was probably better insulation than this cheap carpet is anyway.

Anyway, it worked out pretty nice. I actually have more legroom now. Not much of a concern since I'm only average height, but... it is nice.

So anyway, the case came in, and also the 8GB of memory. It's kind of neat that I got the biggest and smallest parts at the same time. The case came in this massive box that's so big I can sit down in it, and then the memory came in a bubble-wrap padded envelope. Even with the packaging on the memory, I could hide it up my sleeve with no trouble if I wanted, and you could hide me in the case packaging with no trouble if you wanted.