You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Time Confusion
03-03-2012, 02:38 PM,
First Time Confusion
Hello all! Undecided

I've been scraping by on the same crappy old eMachines w3105 that I bought with money from a paper route years ago for longer than most of my richer friends can even conceptualize. I've finally got my hands on some money and "Less Crappy Computer" is at the absolute top of my priorities list, considering I spend eight hours a day minimum sitting in this office chair here in front of it.

So I've been looking around for advice on what to build in certain price ranges, and I can't help but admit that I am terribly horrifyingly confused.

Originally I kept looking through the builds suggested here: http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/ga...puter.html

That all seemed like fairly sound advice for a decent rig, but then I looked around a bit more and I found this place... I'm not sure what to think anymore.

I've got about five or six hundred bucks I can dump into a newer system and I'd like to be able to play games with my friends again. I have terribly low expectations as far as FPS and such goes. My favorite game of all time is more than a decade old at this point...

But it's kind of embarrassing when your computer doesn't even know what the hell a Shader Model is and you can't even start a game like Minecraft up to the main menu without it crashing or displaying a hundred different graphical errors...

I just want something better than what I have now, and I'm not sure how to react to all the different suggestions for what's good going forward and whether I need this feature or that or if I need a dual core or a six core CPU or two or twenty eight gigabytes of RAM.

Would someone wiser be willing to share their thoughts on what I should put together?

Oh, and I guess it's worth noting that I have a couple perfectly good pieces already. I've got a Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA hard drive that works just fine, this crappy old piece of junk I have just doesn't support it, so I don't need to worry about buying that. Nor do I need to worry about getting a new optical drive, I've got a perfectly good spare sitting around that I never bothered doing anything with.

Thank you for your time!
03-03-2012, 03:35 PM,
RE: First Time Confusion
Well there are two scenarios Smile
Since the builds don't factor in having to buy windows, Tier 2 would be a little above your budget assuming you already have a windows 7 install you can do.

However given your budget and the fact that things cost shipping and handling and most likely having to buy windows also, Tier 1 is going to be your best bet.

Also since you have an HD you might be able to budget out and get Tier 2. But just take a glance at this page and make your own judgment call based pon prices.

http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-...uary-2012/
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
03-03-2012, 03:39 PM,
Ah, one question I do have is, how often do these things update? I'd feel stupid if I based all my decisions on the February list, and then it turns out that another one comes out six hours after I purchase which has better deals listed.
03-03-2012, 06:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012, 06:49 PM by windez.)
Wink  RE: First Time Confusion
(03-03-2012, 03:39 PM)Jiopaba Wrote: Ah, one question I do have is, how often do these things update? I'd feel stupid if I based all my decisions on the February list, and then it turns out that another one comes out six hours after I purchase which has better deals listed.

I don't really think you have that much to worry about, if something really big happens Mathieu will most likely update of let us all know. The big things that are happening right now (Ivy Bridge, 7970, etc.) will most likely not effect the lower tiers of gaming pc, and instead will probably impact the higher end pcs.
Also I must say that the tier 2 is an EXCELLENT system(better than the one I paid $1500 2 years back), you should most likely be able to run anything you throw at it. Also what resolution are you going to be running this at? A sweet new gaming rig might be no fun if you're running it off an old CRTSmile
Still looking around to see if you can snag a good deal on part or a seeing if a certain case is on sale this week is probably a good idea.

And also the intel cpu in the tier 2 pc (the i3 2120) will outperform the amd six core in the http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/ga...puter.html's build in most games.
03-03-2012, 06:48 PM,
Also make sure to check Newegg or Amazon for price comparisons, i noticed the site you listed only links to tigerdirect which almost never has the best prices.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K OC to 4.5Ghz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti Zotac AMP! SSD: Crucial M4 128GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 RAM: 2x4GB (8GB) Corsair Low Profile 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 650W Seasonic 80+ Gold Sound Card: None (Integrated) Keyboard: i-rocks KR-6260 Gaming Mouse: Logitch Gaming G500 Monitor: Viewsonic 24" LED-vx2453
03-03-2012, 06:56 PM,
(03-03-2012, 02:38 PM)Jiopaba Wrote: I just want something better than what I have now, and I'm not sure how to react to all the different suggestions for what's good going forward and whether I need this feature or that or if I need a dual core or a six core CPU or two or twenty eight gigabytes of RAM.

You will want AT LEAST at least four gigs of ram, 8 will be preferable but for your needs I believe more than eight is overkill. Also the dual core i3 2120(the cpu in the tier 2 build) will outperform the amd six core in most games.
03-03-2012, 08:13 PM,
Ah, so much useful information. I had been wondering if that sight that I had found was biased or something... like if it was run by an employee of TigerDirect or something, because their reasoning seemed sort of odd. Resolution is one of those things that I don't understand the very high end of myself.

I'm probably going to be getting a newer monitor from another source separate from getting a new computer, but this old piece of crap CRT I have is slowly dying. I think the capacitors in it are slowly giving out or something because it flashes blue and crackles when starting up, sometimes so badly that it just goes black and enters power-saving mode.

My computer runs at 1280x1024 for most things. Completely regardless of screen size, it's just what I like the best because anything higher and everything looks too small. I sometimes play lower on certain games. Not necessarily for framerate concerns, though that's sometimes a factor, but just because I like having a bigger interface. So yeah, I'm not going to flip out if my new computer can't run the latest games at 1920x1080 at 300FPS with all the settings on max.

Honestly, I look around at so much of the advice for building computers these days and with maybe the exception of this site, a lot of it seems written by some pro building his thirtieth computer pretending like he's talking to a first time user. In point of fact though a lot of the crap I see recommended seems ridiculous. I read a review of a graphics card just the other day where it wasn't recommended for casual gamers because it couldn't consistently hit 80FPS in Crysis on High settings or some ridiculous crap like that and I think all these people have a screwed up definition of Casual.

Anyway... I'm going to look through the parts and see what I can see.
03-03-2012, 08:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012, 08:43 PM by windez.)
(03-03-2012, 08:13 PM)Jiopaba Wrote: Honestly, I look around at so much of the advice for building computers these days and with maybe the exception of this site, a lot of it seems written by some pro building his thirtieth computer pretending like he's talking to a first time user. In point of fact though a lot of the crap I see recommended seems ridiculous. I read a review of a graphics card just the other day where it wasn't recommended for casual gamers because it couldn't consistently hit 80FPS in Crysis on High settings or some ridiculous crap like that and I think all these people have a screwed up definition of Casual.

Anyway... I'm going to look through the parts and see what I can see.

Yeah you gotta remember those big companies sponser the BIG websites and the magazines, and they want to convince you to spend AS MUCH as possible. My old AMD PHENOM II 820 AND SINGLE 5870 could run 3 1080p monitors with supersampling enabled, and still keep the frames in the thirties (not perfect but perfectly playable), no you don't need to spend a fortune, and honestly I really, really wish I hadn't.
03-03-2012, 09:00 PM,
Okay, I finally went ahead and bought most of a Tier 2 build.

BIOSTAR H61MGC Intel H61 LGA1155
Intel Core i3-2120 Dual-Core + HyperThreading 3.3GHz
Radeon HD 6870 1GB
G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz (I went ahead and moved up a few bucks for two sticks)
Silverstone 500W 80PLUS
COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced 2x120mm + 1x140mm

I've already got my own optical drive and a Seagate Barracuda 500GB.

I bought four parts from Amazon and two from Newegg, pretty much exactly as they were recommended in the listed build.

Guess I'll just have to see how it performs, eh?

Looks like it's going to cost about 540 bucks. To be precise, $539.22. By my math it's $37.22 over what the guide says it would cost, but that's not a big deal. I know five of that is shipping from Newegg and I assume the rest is sales tax. There is a ten dollar rebate on the graphics card, but... it doesn't seem worth it. "Jump through a dozen hoops and we might give you a ten dollar bill within six months. Maybe. If we can't weasel out of it." Forget that.
03-03-2012, 09:13 PM,
I hope you didn't forget to buy windows Wink
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question