You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screen blank UNTIL windows loads: Can't get into BIOS
02-07-2012, 11:01 AM,
Ok! So...I've got my new build working and I've been having some issues with it. At first I was getting a BSOD due to a graphics driver error, but turning off crossfire has fixed that problem.

My new problem is a little bit stranger though. I basically see a black screen until windows loads. There isn't any motherboard splash screen...it's just completely blank until windows loads. The monitor doesn't even turn on until then. Has anyone experienced this before? Solutions? Here are my specs:

System Specs:
Processor: Intel i7 3960x
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme 9 X79 chipset
16 GB of RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz
Graphics: 2 x Radeon 7970's (Both cards are connected, despite Crossfire being disabled)
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM,
RE: Screen blank UNTIL windows loads: Can't get into BIOS
Does windows load fine without any hitches after that?

Make sure your monitor is completely on before turning on your pc. I know sometimes monitors that are in sleep take a while to load up when a computer boots with it on sleep mode.

Have you tried a clear BIOS?
Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.30GHz RAM: G.Skill 8GB MOBO: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Video Card: SLI MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768 SSD: Corsair Force 3 60GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Mouse: Storm Sentinal Z3RO-G Keyboard: Das Keyboard Silent/Filco Majestouch 2 Speakers: Behringer MS-16 Headphones: Alessandro MS-1/Shure SRH440 modded Router: D-Link Xtreme DIR-655 Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM De-anti-glared Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X120e/Thinkpad T430
02-07-2012, 12:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM by pedwards.)
I believe Ichi to be correct. With that build, good proc, video cards, ram you most likely are going to boot much faster than the monitor has time to wake up from sleep mode. I think the default for the ASRock boards are like 1 sec, but it can sometimes skip that, especially of you have (which I assume you do) a SSD.

If you are still concerned, you can try to modify the timing of your splash screen and see if it shows up.

Don't think that's a bad thing unless you are having other problems.
Smile

EDIT: If you seem to not get into your BIOS/UEFI, try hitting F2 (or whatever the quickkey is to go into your BIOS) as soon as your keyboard lights up. Reason I say this, is I have to do the same thing now when my computer boots, otherwise I do not see the splash screen but it does go into the UEFI when I do this.
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
02-07-2012, 05:03 PM,
RE: Screen blank UNTIL windows loads: Can't get into BIOS
Hey guys, thank you for your help. It was sadly, and thankfully something stupidly simple. Basically, when we moved the computer got connected and reconnected several times. Apparently the last time I did it I wasn't paying much attention and plugged the monitor into the secondary card. BIOS was putting its output on the first card so no picture showed up until windows was ready.