You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First build - Cooler & Dr Debug error questions
02-05-2012, 05:04 PM,
Ok, getting my rig up to speed. A few hiccups along the way (like not hitting the mobo power button and thinking my PSU was dead), but doing well. My storm trooper case didn't come with the tool-less rails, but can wait for that since I have the SSD mount, and can mount my HDD later.

So a few things I've noticed.

- After tightening the Thermalright Silver Arrow in its place, I noticed later that if I firmly hold it, I can move it ever so slightly. I tried to tighten it again, but I'm really concerned about putting too much pressure on the CPU. Is that normal? Assume it should not move at all, but perhaps with this design (the bracket does fit snug, but it's not like locked into it) their may be some movement possible?

- Also I noticed (maybe linked) that twice Dr. Debug gives me a 0x0E - Microcode not found error. I reflash the BIOS, and that seems to work. Should I troubleshoot it more? Saw on some sites that it could relate to RAM seating or (yikes) CPU seating. Should I pull it all apart again? I cringe as if I have pull the heatsync off - for both RAM & CPU - then putting the cooler on in the case will be quite a chore.

I'm guessing these issues aren't fixed. Appreciate any feedback.
02-05-2012, 05:17 PM,
RE: First build - Cooler & Dr Debug error questions
I wouldn't worry about the CPU Cooler moving ever so slightly.

As for the Dr.Debug error, I'd reseat the RAM, which is supposed to close the little clips on each side only by you inserting the RAM sticks. In other words, if when you insert the RAM, the clips aren't closing on their own, you aren't inserting them properly.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
02-06-2012, 12:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2012, 12:53 AM by pedwards.)
(02-05-2012, 05:17 PM)MathieuB Wrote: As for the Dr.Debug error, I'd reseat the RAM, which is supposed to close the little clips on each side only by you inserting the RAM sticks. In other words, if when you insert the RAM, the clips aren't closing on their own, you aren't inserting them properly.

Seriously Mathieu, are you a psychic? I've seated many a RAM chip in my day, but thinking back I did not to that for this build. It was one of the better moments I had having such easy access to the RAM slots that when placing them in I pushed them down and I clipped them in myself. It was one of those cool feelings havin a virgin board. It just seemed to slide in so effortless that it seemed it was far enough, but didn't even think about the clips would close themselves.

I seem to turn into a complete computer noob with this build that if I was replacing 1 part, I'd never do. Ha, so funny.

Wow, so thanks much. Going to reseat those again tonight after work. Thinking I can do that without having to pull off the heat sync but the tolerances are pretty dang close. I think the first bar is under the heat sync itself. I think I can pull it off however.

Thanks for the assurance about the heat sync as well.

Cheers,
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper
02-06-2012, 02:32 AM,
I call it experience, after reading and replying to so many people over the years Wink

Besides, we all get careless here and there and forget about that one little details that prevents the PC from working. It happens to the best of us Tongue

"Thinking I can do that without having to pull off the heat sync but the tolerances are pretty dang close. I think the first bar is under the heat sync itself."

If you take out the fan, you should be able to access the RAM.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
02-06-2012, 10:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM by pedwards.)
Ok, I reseated the RAM as discussed. When I booted the second time, I got an error 64, so I flashed the CMOS, and now it's back to 0x0E again.

Edits:
1.) When I boot without my mouse and keyboard plugged in, it boots fine.
2.) Seems it's occurs when I plug in my mouse, however the keyboard is fine. Was working yesterday. Or maybe it's just adding a second USB device? When it stops in UEFI, the system clock even stops counting. So it's pretty frozen.
3.) Consistently freezes when the mouse is plugged in, even after removing all sticks of RAM instead of 1. I switched between 2 sticks of RAM, and either both are faulty (which could happen), or it's something else. I'm going to see if I can get into Windows and download the latest bios and flash it. (Note: Not updated since September... so I have the latest)
4.) I reset my boot order to correctly point to the DVD & SSD, then I got into windows. I plugged my mouse in... it works. I rebooted with my mouse in, it works. I go into UEFI with my mouse and keyboard, it works? I still have one RAM stick in, so the only thing I changed was the boot order. I didn't even tap the machine.

I'm lost. And promise, no more edits of this post. I'm going to start putting back in RAM sticks one by one thereafter.
02-06-2012, 12:12 PM,
(02-06-2012, 10:32 AM)pedwards Wrote: Ok, I reseated the RAM as discussed. When I booted the second time, I got an error 64, so I flashed the CMOS, and now it's back to 0x0E again.

Edits:
1.) When I boot without my mouse and keyboard plugged in, it boots fine.
2.) Seems it's occurs when I plug in my mouse, however the keyboard is fine. Was working yesterday. Or maybe it's just adding a second USB device? When it stops in UEFI, the system clock even stops counting. So it's pretty frozen.
3.) Consistently freezes when the mouse is plugged in, even after removing all sticks of RAM instead of 1. I switched between 2 sticks of RAM, and either both are faulty (which could happen), or it's something else. I'm going to see if I can get into Windows and download the latest bios and flash it. (Note: Not updated since September... so I have the latest)
4.) I reset my boot order to correctly point to the DVD & SSD, then I got into windows. I plugged my mouse in... it works. I rebooted with my mouse in, it works. I go into UEFI with my mouse and keyboard, it works? I still have one RAM stick in, so the only thing I changed was the boot order. I didn't even tap the machine.

I'm lost. And promise, no more edits of this post. I'm going to start putting back in RAM sticks one by one thereafter.

Ok, seems to be a known issue with this motherboard. The error was not "64", it was "B4" - Hot USB. There is a "disable legacy USB 2.0" feature that you can enable that will take you into windows. However what seems to stink is that my keyboard + mouse seem to be "legacy". So I won't be able to go into my UEFI with either, when I was perfectly fine before. Again only keeping 1 RAM stick in. This is going to be tough to OC this bad boy if I have to be conscious what I have plugged into the USB ports.

Wonderful.

Anyone else seen this before?
I'm talking about the P67 Extreme4 GEN 3.
02-06-2012, 01:29 PM,
Sorry to hear about your issues. First time I hear about such a thing and I've been recommending the ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 for a long time now. I'd guess that it just "doesn't like" your mouse and keyboard.

Seeing as you can use your keyboard without freezes, you can can change whatever settings that needs to be changed at least. As for overclocking, sure it's inconvenient, but once you've got your overclock set, you just leave the UEFI alone.

An alternative would be to use some overclocking tool within Windows.
02-06-2012, 02:12 PM,
(02-06-2012, 01:29 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Sorry to hear about your issues. First time I hear about such a thing and I've been recommending the ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3 for a long time now. I'd guess that it just "doesn't like" your mouse and keyboard.

Seeing as you can use your keyboard without freezes, you can can change whatever settings that needs to be changed at least. As for overclocking, sure it's inconvenient, but once you've got your overclock set, you just leave the UEFI alone.

An alternative would be to use some overclocking tool within Windows.

Yeah, the real bummer is that it was working before... or it may have been the actual cause of my 0x0E errors to begin with? Anyway, good news it may not be the RAM! Smile

The funniest thing however. I went to one of ASRock's forum websites... tweaktown (easier to register), and I noticed someone literally minutes before I posted posted this EXACT same problem! Wierd huh? Perhaps a bad lot of boards?

Anyway I wrote their technical support as well directly to see what they say.

I do agree I could continue like this, however it's pretty disheartening to have to do all this setup and then find out I'd need to RMA my board at the end.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
02-06-2012, 03:22 PM,
Mind you, if you have to swap motherboard for the same one, after you're done your Windows setup, you won't have to re-install Windows or anything, since that's stored on your SSD and/or hard drive.

It will be as simple as taking it out, putting the new one in, changing UEFI options as necessary and proceed to boot to Windows Smile
02-06-2012, 05:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2012, 05:48 PM by pedwards.)
(02-06-2012, 03:22 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Mind you, if you have to swap motherboard for the same one, after you're done your Windows setup, you won't have to re-install Windows or anything, since that's stored on your SSD and/or hard drive.

It will be as simple as taking it out, putting the new one in, changing UEFI options as necessary and proceed to boot to Windows Smile

True, just going through all the effort to OC it to have it all be done all over again. More so not looking forward to pasting the CPU again, that I think was the most intimidating thing for me. Lol. Smile

Running memtest86 now given the USB power-on issue will not seem to go away anytime soon. This way I see if I can debug the original (believed) problem. When in Windows, it sure did some odd things. Reminds me of last time I had a bad RAM stick. Sigh.

You ever run it on more than 4GB of ram before? I normally never ran it on more than 1 stick. Now it seems that it can handle 64GB! Wow how time has changed. Sure that it would take days to test my 16GB setup if I remember how it works. Then again it seems to use all 4 CPUs to run some of the tests.

Just hoping that if it finds some errors, will be able to tell which stick(s) it was. Is it pretty easy? Or only real way is to run it one at a time like before?

Trying to optimize the troubleshooting time. If that's even possible at this point. Heh.

Cheers,
CPU: Intel i7-2600K @4.2GHz Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 RAM: Corsair Vengence 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 80 PLUS Modular ODD: SONY DVD 24x
CPU Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E Case: CM Storm Trooper