You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graphics card won't turn on
01-18-2012, 05:36 PM,
Graphics card won't turn on
Hi I'm new to the PC building game, and I'm worried sick here because I can't get my new pc I built to work. I went through the building process which was pretty straight forward. I have a gigabyte 970A UD3 motherboard - AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE - Gigabyte HD 6850 - and a Corsair TX 650 V2 for my PSU.
I've plugged everything in properly but when I switch the pc on, the screen stays blank and says there is no signal. So I unmounted/ remounted the whole machine and still nothing.
I believe the problem is with the GPU because when I switch on the computer, all my fans, including both CPU fans are working except the ones on the Graph card. But I then took out the GPU and inserted it into my other computer, a centuries old HP, the GPU works and installs fine and I can use the HD out.
So the problem could also be with the psu plug to the GPU. The GPU has a PCI E 6 pin plug and comes with a PCIE 6 pin to 2 4 pin peripheral plugs asaptor.On my old Hp I plugged it in with the adaptor. and clearly there is no problem On the new build I tried with the regular PCIE then with the adaptor with the 2 4 pin peripherals, but none worked.
This is becoming very worrying and I'd like to get my problem solved as soon as possible. I am reallty hoping that there's nothing wrong with any of my parts...
Thanks for all and any help.
01-18-2012, 05:45 PM,
RE: Graphics card won't turn on
Well clearly the issue isn't with the video card, as it works in your other PC. The PSU appears to be working fine too, since the other components are getting power. Sounds like a motherboard issue to me.

I'm assuming that you plugged both the 24-pin and the 8-pin power connectors on the motherboard right? Make sure that the graphic card is properly inserted into the PCI-Express 16x slot too.

Here are a few things to try:

1- Clear the CMOS: This can be done either with the jumper (located close to the battery on the motherboard) or by removing the battery.

2- Try starting the PC with one stick of RAM at a time, try different RAM slots too.

3- Try to do your build outside of the case. I would take the motherboard out of the case and just set it on the foam pad that came with the box that the motherboard came in. You can also set the pad on the actual box. You should not have to take the PSU out of the case, just set the case near the board.

Let me know if anything works and if yes, what works.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
01-18-2012, 07:03 PM,
Thank you very much for your advice Matthieu but unfortunately nothing has worked. I didn't try taking it out of the case, but I removed the battery for a minute, I tried with every combination of 1 and 2 RAM sticks and slots.
What do you think I should do?
01-18-2012, 08:02 PM,
Exchange the motherboard, it's most likely defective.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518