You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just Built My computer
12-24-2010, 11:45 AM,
Just Built My computer
Hey guys, I finished constructing my gaming budget build yesterday.
Athlon II X3 3.1ghz
MSI GTX 460 768mb
Samsung f3 500gb
Asrock M3A770DE
Rosewill Destroyer
Antec Basiq 550w Plus
Cooler Master Hyper 212+

It didn't go quite as smoothly as I had hoped, and I'm lucky my dad is an electrical engineer otherwise I would still be trying to figure out what to do with all my cables. But anyways, I made sure it booted, and was working fine. I put Windows on it and installed my drivers, and when everything seemed fine I decided to attempt to unlock a fourth core. I did, booted up and looked at my CPU and it told me I had a Phenom II B45. I decided to do a stress test, and downloaded the free trial of AIDA64 Extreme edition to monitor the temps and prime95. I left the stress test for about 9 and a half hours, and I checked the temps as often as I could and they never got over 53C, which I thought seemed unrealistically low. There were no errors on the test, and now I just got done playing Guild Wars for an hour on highest settings with no problem.

One thing does concern me though. When I bring up task manager and look at the "Performance" tab, the 4th core is always somewhat higher on the graph than the other 3 cores. The temps are the same, but for some reason its working a little harder. I'm attaching a picture so you can see what I mean. Sorry this was sort of long-winded, and this could be nothing, but if you guys know why it would be doing this any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files
.jpg   CPU Status.jpg (Size: 209.21 KB / Downloads: 25)
12-24-2010, 11:59 AM,
RE: Just Built My computer
Glad to hear everything worked fine!

>I left the stress test for about 9 and a half hours, and I checked the temps as often as I could and they never got over 53C, which I thought seemed unrealistically low.

Not at all. 55C is where things start getting unstable with Phenom IIs.

>the 4th core is always somewhat higher on the graph than the other 3 cores.

It just means that Windows is directing most of the work to the fourth core, nothing to worry about.
Your friendly forum administrator.
12-24-2010, 12:11 PM,
Thanks for the quick reply! Good to hear that its alright with the cores, and I'll continue to monitor the temperatures. That actually makes me remember another thing I was wondering about. Firstly, do you think the program is accurately reporting the temperatures? And secondly, should I be looking at the CPU temperature, or the core temperatures? So far I've been looking at the core temperatures. Once again thanks for your help!
12-24-2010, 02:40 PM,
>do you think the program is accurately reporting the temperatures?

Yes.

>should I be looking at the CPU temperature, or the core temperatures?

Either one, they should be within ~5C of each other.
Your friendly forum administrator.
12-24-2010, 04:00 PM,
Oh they should be close? Right now my CPU Usage is at about 5% and the CPU temp is 21C while my cores are 37C.
12-25-2010, 09:19 AM,
Not necessarily. I'd look more at the cores temperature, as long as they stay under 55-60C, you're fine.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
12-25-2010, 11:42 AM,
Alright sweet. The most I've seen them get to is 53C, and that was 100%. They haven't gotten near that doing WoW and Guild Wars haha