You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cost Analysis...
01-05-2012, 10:15 AM,
Cost Analysis...
So I've been tracking the weekly costs of Mathieu's builds, since I'm planning to build a system for myself in the next 2-3 months. I also have a finance degree so costs in general amuse me. Cool

Would anyone else be interested in this info? I'm not sure exactly how to share it, but here is what I'm tracking in an Excel file.

1) The current specifications of each build Tier -- right now I'm just tracking the Gaming Tiers 1-12 because that's what I'm interested in, but adding the others wouldn't be hard.

2) The cost of each build, based entirely on NewEgg.com, including rebates. I realize that NewEgg does not always have the lowest prices on every item, but it would take forever to research every item and find the lowest price. I'm also not including any shipping costs since that will vary by location.

3) The % change in price each week, by build. This one is a little tricky, since the builds do change and get better, but still it gives you an idea of cost over time.

4) An cost index -- basically, if you were to build 1 copy of each tier, and gave them equal weight, what is the % change in that bundle. (This is vaguely how economists track inflation...very vaguely...)

To give you a preview, I can say with certainty that the costs of the builds has risen about 8% since October. This includes an adjustment I introduced for the hard drive shortage -- I never included the out of control price gouging costs like $200 for a Spinpoint F3. I scaled them back. Even with that, prices rose steadily leading up to Christmas and now seem to be on the way back down.

I'm wondering if the site would be interested in a running feature on this, and if so, how it should look? I can't guarantee I would have the time to do everything but ideas are always good.
01-05-2012, 02:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2012, 02:16 PM by MathieuB.)
RE: Cost Analysis...
I for one sure would be interested in that info. I have a vague idea seeing as I'm the one doing most of the updates and I see prices on a daily basis, but it would still be interesting to see.

#1 Yeah, an excel sheet seems like the best way to capture this. An HTML table (similar to what I use in the builds for the recommended parts summary), but with parts in columns instead of rows could work too.
#2 This can be presented in the form of/linked to Newegg public wishlists. That's something that I've been wanting to do and include in the articles for a while actually.

If anyone wants to chime in and suggest any other good way to present the data, go ahead Smile

Nice work Phyrre56 Big Grin
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
01-05-2012, 04:20 PM,
I have all the Gaming builds as wish lists, excluding the (rare) items that are not available on NewEgg. Right now that only includes the ThermalRight Silver Arrow. I might try to throw the others together so that I can get a baseline price for all builds for 1st week of January 2012. (My tracking currently starts at the arbitrary point of October 2011 which is particularly inconvenient because it's right around when the prices of hard drives got all screwy.)

I am not a web guy at all, so if anyone can advise on the best ways to make this information "available," I'm all ears.
01-06-2012, 05:30 PM,
Looking forward to seeing this!
Follow Me on Twitter

CPU: Intel i5 2500k Motherboard: ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Z68 Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 6870 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550w Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: Antec 300 Illusion Monitor: ASUS 23" 5ms 1080p Mouse: Logitech G500