You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Incredibly Stupid RAM Question
12-25-2011, 04:46 AM,
Possibly Incredibly Stupid RAM Question
This may be an incredibly stupid question, but if I buy a laptop and wish to upgrade the RAM, and there are 4 slots, with initially 2 filled, can I just fill the other 2 with my RAM of choice and leave the other 2 alone, or should I replace those 2 chips as well for proper compatibility? My current laptop currently has that setup, and although it runs well, I'm not sure if any of the sporadic errors I get may be caused by that, or if that shouldn't make much of a difference. In case it matters, I'm using a Lenovo W520 with 2 4GB Samsung M471B5273DH0-CH9 chips preloaded in it, and I added 2 4GB G Skill chips (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820231342) to it. By now the price has come down a lot on the G Skill, so if need be, I can just purchase the other 2 chips to pair them, but if it makes no difference, I'd like to save the $40. If someone can give some input, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
12-25-2011, 02:01 PM,
RE: Possibly Incredibly Stupid RAM Question
Leave the other 2 alone. Just make sure all the RAM sticks have the same specs, and you'll be fine.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"