You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
build completed
12-17-2011, 07:34 PM,
RE: build completed
(12-17-2011, 07:18 PM)valetudo025 Wrote: Mathieu my concern was with the A70 fan exhaust not having clearance with the case exhaust fan, man if it fits there going to be kissing each other but I'll try it. Is there a simpler way of taking the cooler off and on? Or do I have to take the mother board out again? Sad
Man I love this website, but I'm sure my wife hates it lol

It will surely fit and that's the idea; by being so close to the exhaust fan, the exhaust fan will improve the CPU Cooler capabilities.

I haven't played with an A70 in a while, but I imagine that you can simply un-secure it and rotate it without needing to take out the motherboard.

LOL, sorry, I don't have any tutorials on how to deal with the wife Tongue
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
12-24-2011, 01:42 AM,
quick update, the A70 does fit horizontal and with plenty of room once you push the fan by the ripjaw ram a bit higher, I was surprised! Just eyeballing it I thought it wouldn't fit.

I also did some experimenting and reapplied the TIM. I used less of the A70 TIM provided this time but with the direct pipe heat sink and the thick A70 TIM provided I had poor temps, this was a REALLY small dot in the middle of the CPU. After many applications with the A70 TIM I switched over to Arctic silver 5 and noticed that its thinner and spreads out much better with less amount. I finally settled on using AS5 based on its ease of use because it spreads more with less and I noticed that I got better Temps with the CPU fully covered than not having enough coverage. reading up more on the internets shows that the direct heat pipe heatsinks need a little more TIM than usual.

I also decided to play with the big boys and started OCing manually without using the motherboard presets, and wow what a difference. I'm now at 4.5@1.32V and my new temps are 28C idle-68C max with a quick IBT standard 5 pass. On prime95 my Temps are 62C-64C max. this is going to be my new 24/7 OC unless I get bored and start messing around with it more, but with the wife and the holidays...this might be it for awhile lol.
12-24-2011, 02:03 PM,
(12-24-2011, 01:42 AM)valetudo025 Wrote: quick update, the A70 does fit horizontal and with plenty of room once you push the fan by the ripjaw ram a bit higher, I was surprised! Just eyeballing it I thought it wouldn't fit.

I also did some experimenting and reapplied the TIM. I used less of the A70 TIM provided this time but with the direct pipe heat sink and the thick A70 TIM provided I had poor temps, this was a REALLY small dot in the middle of the CPU. After many applications with the A70 TIM I switched over to Arctic silver 5 and noticed that its thinner and spreads out much better with less amount. I finally settled on using AS5 based on its ease of use because it spreads more with less and I noticed that I got better Temps with the CPU fully covered than not having enough coverage. reading up more on the internets shows that the direct heat pipe heatsinks need a little more TIM than usual.

I also decided to play with the big boys and started OCing manually without using the motherboard presets, and wow what a difference. I'm now at 4.5@1.32V and my new temps are 28C idle-68C max with a quick IBT standard 5 pass. On prime95 my Temps are 62C-64C max. this is going to be my new 24/7 OC unless I get bored and start messing around with it more, but with the wife and the holidays...this might be it for awhile lol.

Generally for direct contact heatsinks you want to use more thermal paste.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"