You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Budget PC
12-15-2011, 02:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2011, 02:15 PM by thecheeseking.)
RE: Budget PC
I need to cut the cost down a bit (i forgot to factor shipping in, which is 135 dollars).

i tried some more local websites so we could do pick up but they were all far more expensive and/or didn't have the parts I wanted.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main...s_id=14621

would a sound card like this be ok? Or is that just terrible?

Any suggestions on other things I can cut down on?

Do you think a 500Gb hard drive would be enough?

She probably won't be storing movies on the hard drives (she'll just play them through DVD/Blu-Ray) but she will probably store most of her music on there. Aside from that it would be just documents and things. I feel like 1tb would be better for future proofing but maybe it's not necessary?

12-15-2011, 02:26 PM,
The sound card would be better than onboard, but not as good as the ASUS DG.

500GB should more than enough for music, documents and the like. Besides, you can always add additional hard drives for more storage in the future if required, when hard drives will be most likely less expensive.

There's not much else you can't cut down on without either sacrificing performance/future-proofness or reliability.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
12-15-2011, 02:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2011, 02:30 PM by thecheeseking.)
Alright well I'll discuss this with my Mum and Order the parts on Saturday, again thanks for the help guys, I can't imagine what I would have done without this help Big Grin

You'll probably see me again when i build my next computer (sometime late next year probably Tongue).
12-16-2011, 12:10 AM,
(12-15-2011, 02:30 PM)thecheeseking Wrote: Alright well I'll discuss this with my Mum and Order the parts on Saturday, again thanks for the help guys, I can't imagine what I would have done without this help Big Grin

You'll probably see me again when i build my next computer (sometime late next year probably Tongue).

If you really want to shave any cost, the HDD is really mainly the only thing I would knock down. If music is mainly all that's being stored you don't need a drive anywhere near that large. See what works for you and you might save a little. I'd consider going with a cheaper HDD for now, then if you really need the space, get a bigger one later when prices go back down and just add it on. It never hurts having a second internal HDD (I have 4, along with an SSD for my current upcoming build, and I even have 2 internals in my laptop).