You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Gaming PC Build+Monitor - Questions
12-16-2010, 10:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2010, 12:38 AM by Atikin.)
Gaming PC Build+Monitor - Questions
Hey guys, I am building a pc for the first time, and want to try and move on from console gaming. For this reason this system will need to run the latest games at a good enjoyable fps on fairly high graphics (dont have to be ultra ultra or whatever). ALSO I am going to be using CATIA for school this quarter or the next, and was wondering if the following computer could run that as well. Without further ado, here is the parts list I am planning on ordering from Newegg.

I7 950 3.06GHz
Asus p6td deluxe LGA x58
Microsoft windows 7 home premium 64 bit OEM 1-pack
CORSAIR CMPSU-750tx 750W 80 plus certirfired
G.Skill pi series 6g (3x2gb) ddr3 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
Samsung Spinpoint f3 7200 rpm 1TB
Cooler Master HAF 932 case
Lite-on 24x dvd writer black sata model iHAS424-98
Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
Mx-2 thermal compound

A couple additional questions. In the future for upgrades, I am thinking about possibly upgrading RAM, buying another 6850 and putting them in crossfire, as well as maybe buying a sound card. Does this mobo support 2 graphics card AND a sound card (want to be certain, think it does). Also, is the cooler master haf x worth getting? The only main difference I see advertised in that is a gpu duct, how important is this? Also, this mobo has 6 slots for ram, and i am buying 3 sticks, do I need to fill up the other 3 slots with anything for it to work?

Another question I have is the corsair modular psu is only 50 dollars more then this one. Being a first time builder from scratch, I am worried about fucking up somewhere with all the cables. From what ive read, a non modular psu comes with all the cables already in it and you cant take out the ones you dont need, is that correct? If so would a beginner be able to handle a non modular psu, and will this haf932 be able to tuck away most of those wires so it doesnt look like a clusterfuck inside of my pc?

ON TOP of all this I just wanna ask what are some reccomendations that you guys have for gaming monitors that fit this build and cost under $200. What sort of things do I look for when monitor shopping, what outputs/inputs, 2m/s response time, what else?
12-17-2010, 12:08 AM,
RE: Gaming PC Build - Questions
Looks like a nice build. That mother board has a pci slot above the top pci-e slot which you could install a soundcard to while running crossfire. I own a haf 932 and it's huge, the haf x is bigger with more ports on the front (USB 3.0) and more room for fans. Your build doesn't require a haf x but that's no reason not to get one if you want a super beast of a case. For the money though, I'd say not worth it. Also the 932 has enormous amounts of cable management holes which I can actually show off here: http://forums.hardware-revolution.com/sh...hp?tid=118.
Note: I also did not use a modular PSU though it would be waaaay easier to wire with one. Probably worth the extra money.
Beast Mode Engaged! CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.62Ghz 1.25v Heatsink: CM Hyper 212+ Mobo: Asus Rampage III Formula Ram: 12GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1574Mhz GPU: 2x XFX Radeon HD 6870 in Crossfire PSU: Corsair TX950W Optical: Lite-On DVDrw HDD: 2x Samsung F3 500GB in Raid 0 Case: CM HAF 932 See it here!
12-17-2010, 02:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-17-2010, 03:39 AM by Adam.)
RE: Gaming PC Build+Monitor - Questions
If you check out my build here you'll see that we're using some similar parts... I had NO problems with the CM HAF 922 and that power supply with the unused cables, it was easy to tuck them out of the way where they wouldn't impede airflow... I just built it Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.

For gaming and CATIA, you're building a pretty hoss rig... I don't see where you'll have any problems... If you wanted to go with the case and mobo that I used, you'd be 2/3 of the way towards the cost of a 2nd 6850 graphics card... already there if you go with a little less processor... It looks like you're spending a little more than you need to... I don't know that the performance increase in CATIA would even really be noticable (maybe the 2nd video card helps more than CPU? How does CATIA handle rendering? CPU or GPU?)

You should be fine with the 3 sticks (out of 6 slots) <--- Mat????

as far as a sound card, is there a reason that you want more than what's on board the mobo? It looks to be a pretty nice integrated sound setup.

I bought 2 Acer H243H 2ms 24" monitors from Amazon, under $200/ea including shipping... I'm VERY pleased with them in Call of Duty (and I'm a professional photographer, I'm VERY picky about my monitors). They have DVI, VGA, and HDMI inputs, AND they come with the cables for whichever you choose.

I rebuilt a cart using my build (with your hard drive), just to show you what mine cost (without all of the keyboard/speakers/mouse/color calibration/etc..). I'm running Call of Duty with maxed out detail and shading at over 140 fps in 1920x1080 resolution (even without overclocking). So add $200 to the below for a monitor (assuming you have a keyboard, etc..)... (oh, and add $179 for a 2nd video card, I didn't correct the qty in the cart)... It's a decent system Big Grin

[Image: build.png]

For CATIA, you may want to look into a SSD for your operating system and CATIA executables... it makes a real difference... (you'll still need a regular SATA hard drive for storage of other stuff (music, games, etc..)

As far as building it yourself, it's a breeze. Just be sure to ask someone if you're not sure about something. It doesn't require any special knowledge.
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz O/C to 4.20GHz ~ ASUS P7P55D-E Pro MoBo ~ G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (4 x 4GB) ~ CM HAF 922 Case ~ 2X Radeon HD 6850 1GB in Crossfire ~ Sandisk 256GB SATA 3.0 SSD ~ Sandisk 120GB SATA 3.0 SSD ~ A-DATA 64GB SATA II SSD ~ 2X Western Digital 3 TB ~ 2X Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint ~ Corsair 750W Power Supply ~ CM Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler ~ 2x Acer H243H 24" 2ms 24" LCD >>>> 7.7 Windows Score <<<< Highest Stable O/C Score
12-18-2010, 02:46 AM,
Thanks for all the replies guys. Theyre really helpful. That monitor that you poster looks good Adam, all the right outputs, resolution, and 2m/s response. Ill probably downgrade cases to the 922 as the 932 seems a little overboard, but Ill be keeping the processor where its at. Another thing I was wondering is that I feel like 750w power may be a little too much, is there such a thing as too strong of a psu for the pc? I wont be overclocking it and itll probably never hit peak stress or power usage.
12-18-2010, 05:25 AM,
A stronger psu couldn't hurt as long as it is an efficient one. The only thing you're really getting if a bit of futureproofing overhead if you ever want to double up on the gpus or upgrade the cpu.
Beast Mode Engaged! CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.62Ghz 1.25v Heatsink: CM Hyper 212+ Mobo: Asus Rampage III Formula Ram: 12GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1574Mhz GPU: 2x XFX Radeon HD 6870 in Crossfire PSU: Corsair TX950W Optical: Lite-On DVDrw HDD: 2x Samsung F3 500GB in Raid 0 Case: CM HAF 932 See it here!
12-18-2010, 01:26 PM,
I would certainly not skimp on the power supply. No need to go modular, as there's plenty of room under the power supply to tuck the extra cables.
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz O/C to 4.20GHz ~ ASUS P7P55D-E Pro MoBo ~ G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (4 x 4GB) ~ CM HAF 922 Case ~ 2X Radeon HD 6850 1GB in Crossfire ~ Sandisk 256GB SATA 3.0 SSD ~ Sandisk 120GB SATA 3.0 SSD ~ A-DATA 64GB SATA II SSD ~ 2X Western Digital 3 TB ~ 2X Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint ~ Corsair 750W Power Supply ~ CM Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler ~ 2x Acer H243H 24" 2ms 24" LCD >>>> 7.7 Windows Score <<<< Highest Stable O/C Score
12-21-2010, 07:07 AM,
Everything looks good. Good luck with the build!
Your friendly forum administrator.
12-22-2010, 05:45 PM,
(12-16-2010, 10:33 PM)Atikin Wrote: ON TOP of all this I just wanna ask what are some reccomendations that you guys have for gaming monitors that fit this build and cost under $200. What sort of things do I look for when monitor shopping, what outputs/inputs, 2m/s response time, what else?

I just got ViewSonic’s VX2739WM 27-Inch 1920x1080 Full HD Monitor 1ms, and it's doing well. The 1ms does the trick. It goes for $300, though, but will probably outlast all your other components in terms of time before you need to upgrade, so it's likely more worth the greater upfront cost to pay..

I found that the 24" was just too small Tongue

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003GBR...PDKIKX0DER