You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first build..
10-30-2011, 10:30 PM,
My first build..
First of all, thanks to those of you who run/update this site; it's been a huge help for me while I planned my first build this weekend.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the components I've chosen. I went into this with a budget of $600 in mind, but after hours of compromise, the lowest I could get while still feeling confident in the performance I wanted was around 850 before taxes.

I intend on using this PC as a workstation and for gaming. I'm an audio engineer, so I'd like it to run ProTools and game engines like UDK/Unity with ease. I'd also like to be able to play 2011 games at a consistent, high FPS. I'm not too concerned if I can't run super ultra settings, but it'd be nice if I could have it looking beyond decent...

I'd like to know if this build would run without any problems or compatibility issues. Also, if you have any suggestions or recommendations on alternative choices, I'd love to hear em. For example, I'm a little concerned with the motherboard I picked. Although it was a steal at around 70 dollars, I'm hoping it isn't too good to be true.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core
Motherboard: ASRock 770 Extreme3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s
Video Card: GIGABYTE GVN560UD-1G GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3R 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3GB/s
Optical: ASUS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus ATX12V V2.2 80 Plus Certified Modular Active

Again, after Windows, some HDMI cables and a Rosewill external wifi antenna, all this comes to around 850 before taxes. If you have any replacement suggestions for components that will save me money or are just better overall based on my budget, please let me know. Thanks in advance!
10-30-2011, 10:57 PM,
RE: My first build..
If you haven't bought the Samsung F3, you might wanna change that, its expensive now.

Also, how much is this current PC?

I feel like going with a i5-2500 and H61 or H67 mobo could be better depending on how much each build costs.

Hope those HDMI cables are from some seller on Amazon. Even those prices are better than Newegg's 5-10 dollar HDMI cables.
10-31-2011, 12:23 AM,
The Samsung F3 is currently listed at $99 on newegg... what alternatives would you recommend?

As for the the cpu/mobo... I initially went with the i5-2500k Sandy Bridge with an ASRock Extreme 4. Those were 215 and 159 respectively.. which resulted in over 1000 in price. My current choices, the Phenom II ($125) and Extreme 3 mobob (only $76!) make the whole PC around 850 before taxes, much more affordable. But are my current choices out-dated & really bad compared to the Sandy Bridge setup?

10-31-2011, 12:58 AM,
(10-31-2011, 12:23 AM)peezy Wrote: The Samsung F3 is currently listed at $99 on newegg... what alternatives would you recommend?

As for the the cpu/mobo... I initially went with the i5-2500k Sandy Bridge with an ASRock Extreme 4. Those were 215 and 159 respectively.. which resulted in over 1000 in price. My current choices, the Phenom II ($125) and Extreme 3 mobob (only $76!) make the whole PC around 850 before taxes, much more affordable. But are my current choices out-dated & really bad compared to the Sandy Bridge setup?

Well the 960T according to this benchmark, http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html , is half of what the i5-2500 is. Idk how much CPU, the audio engineering programs require, but its just a thought. When I was initially reading, I thought the whole $850 was the PC, and wifi+hdmi cable, I didn't realize it included Windows ($100), so that kinda puts a damper on suggestions...

I will say, if you live in CA (personal experience), you could save on taxes by going through amazon instead of newegg, and if you live near microcenter, their intel processors are cheaper there such as the i5-2500 being $150.
10-31-2011, 02:04 AM,
After more searching through Newegg, i found:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Which is only 5 bucks more but way better reviews/benchmarks. If i throw this in instead, will it run well with my mobo and everything else? Also, is the PSU sufficient? I'd like to OC in the future...