You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sue's build FINAL EDITION! this solid?
12-15-2010, 07:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 06:00 PM by boynamedsue.)
Sue's build FINAL EDITION! this solid?
**Sorry for re-editing this over and over. I simply cannot make up my mind it seems**
THIS IS THE FINAL BUILD I AM WORKING WITH.
CASE: cooler master 932
CPU: intel i7-950
GPU: pny gtx580
RAM: corsair 12Gb (6 x 2Gb) 1600
MO-BO: asus rampage iii formula
COOLING: H70 Liquid Cooling
PSU: corsair 1000W
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 120 Gb
DVD-ROM: cheap one
HARD DRIVE: wd caviar green 1tb 5400rpm
Artic Silver 5 compoud

----Original Post------
Finally ready (again) to finalize my new rig and order parts. Wanted to share it with y'all and see if anything stuck out or wasn't compatible. After going through this again and again I have made some adjustments on what I will be getting.

I'm basically going off all the info I have read here with the building and can't wait for the experience. Wanted to say thanks to Mat and everybody else who is contributing all this super useful info.

I edited out a long rant about trying to decide between cards. I am now torn between getting a gtx570 or going all out and doing the gtx580.

I'm concerned the 850W PSU isn't going to be enough for the day when I go SLi. Should I go into the 950-1000W range? I would really like to use the full potential of the mobo and use 3-cards one day...

I also had a problem with RAM comparability, but I think I have worked it out (P55 rather than X58), but I still cannot decide which to get.

Lastly, are there any additional fans that I should be getting in here? For either the RAM, the GPU, to attach to the liquid cooler?

Here is the new edited build:

GPU-PNY GTX GeForce 570 or PNY GTX 580
RAM- Corsair XMS3 12Gb or G.Skills Sniper 8Gb (2x 4) 1600 or Corsair Dominator 6Gb (3 x 2Gb) 1600
MOBO-ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58
PSU-OCZ Z Series Gold 850W PSU or Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W or Corsair 1000w
Liquid cooling-Corsair Cooling Hydro Series 570
Case-Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower EATX
SSD-OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 120GB
DVD-DVD Burner
HDD-Western Digital Caviar Green 640GB
Thermal paste-Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Its gonna be pretty expensive, but I CANNOT FREAKING WAIT TO GET BUILDING Tongue

Thanks again to the community!
12-15-2010, 08:32 PM,
RE: New build!....570 v. 6970?
Hey man apparently there is a big confusion with the price of the 6950 and 6970 because the GTX 570 cost aprx. 350$ maybe a lil more or less and the 6970 appears in amazon.com at 499.99$ which buts it 150$ more than the GTX 570 so i would say that the 570 and the 6970 are in the same performance niche but there are in very different price range which i don't see the 150$ performance advantage over the 570...

my 2 cent...

Please if I am wrong and sorry and be glad to be corrected but as of now I think the 69XX line SUCKS, price and performance... I was waiting for a monster they delivered a teddy...

HUGE let down... And plz I'm in no sense a fanboy of either company I am a fan of my money and performance and right now the GTX 570 serves me the best in my two interests... More bang for your buck...

12-16-2010, 02:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 02:41 PM by boynamedsue.)
RE: Sue's build (edited somewhat)
Guys I really cannot decide what to do here.
Here are my problems: PSU, cooling, GPU, RAM
PSU: Is 850W enough for future SLi and the rest of the parts I'm going to be running? Should I consider a 950W or 1000W?
I thought liquid cooling would be AWESOME. but i keep hearing not to do it and just throw in the Cooler Master 212 or some other heatsink/ fan.
The RAM is also bothering me. Do I go for better timing, or more total RAM...
Lastly the GPU. The thing is... money isn't exactly an issue because it an x-mas gift from a rich uncle and he wants me to get the best... but I still feel bad being wasteful. Should i just do the 570 instead of the 580?
In all honesty, if anyone wants to just change the parts I have listed and tell me what is best I would really appreciate it!!
12-16-2010, 04:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 04:27 PM by Perrywinkle.)
RE: Sue's build (edited somewhat). Need help on what to do.
1st i would say with the HAF 932, you do not need to liquid cool at all. All those big fans you can put in there will be beyond good for the job.
With 6 slots for DDR3 RAM, I would say better timming over quantity. If you want to do heavy video editing like its your job, 16 gig would be good enough. Games, 8 gig would be good enough. As far as size of each stick, bigger is better b/c it leaves you room for more if needed.
850w would be plenty I think. Even if looking to crossfire later I think it would be enough. When I ran my check for power (Can't remember site) it came up with 700w for a crossfire set up, with similar other components to yours. I'll try to find that site for you to play with to find wattage.
Try this calculator.
I threw in some random #'s like your set up and it said maybe 1K watts with 2 video cards..... Someone else may be a better judge on it than me... Oh Boss!!!
AMD Phenom ii X6 1090T ($230)
Asus Crosshair IV Formula ($140)
G. Skill 4X4GB 1600mhz ($200)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 ($250)
G. Skill 60GB SSD boot drive ($130)
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W ($100)
Cooler Master Storm Scout case ($40)
Asus DVD drive ($18)
12-16-2010, 04:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 05:13 PM by boynamedsue.)
RE: Sue's build (edited somewhat). Need help on what to do.
OK everybody, last time I think i need to do this. Here be the parts!

CASE: cooler master 932
CPU: intel i7-950
GPU: pny gtx580
RAM: corsair 12Gb (6 x 2Gb) 1600
MO-BO: asus rampage iii formula
COOLING: H70 Liquid Cooling
PSU: corsair 1000W
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 120 Gb
DVD-ROM: cheap one
HARD DRIVE: wd caviar green 1tb 5400rpm
Artic Silver 5 compoud

thank 'ye mates!
thanks for that calculator address and response! awesome possum!

I threw the 1000w into the rig to be safe. it isn't so much more expensive than a 850w and should be good for my future addition of a second 580. is this wise? or maybe overkill?

as to the liquid cooling... It would just be so cool! but really, stupid? or useless at least? it also isn't too much more making it tempting as hell. But if i did use the liquid cooling, is there any benefit at all to components other than the CPU? i would like to get the temperature down on the cards as well if possible. ram. whatever works. but really, if its recommended I opt out for the Cooler Master Hyper 212 than that's what I'll do. Cause really, I have no idea. i just always thought liquid cooling was samuel L jackson in pulp fiction cool.

(12-16-2010, 04:23 PM)Perrywinkle Wrote: 1st i would say with the HAF 932, you do not need to liquid cool at all. All those big fans you can put in there will be beyond good for the job.
With 6 slots for DDR3 RAM, I would say better timming over quantity. If you want to do heavy video editing like its your job, 16 gig would be good enough. Games, 8 gig would be good enough. As far as size of each stick, bigger is better b/c it leaves you room for more if needed.
850w would be plenty I think. Even if looking to crossfire later I think it would be enough. When I ran my check for power (Can't remember site) it came up with 700w for a crossfire set up, with similar other components to yours. I'll try to find that site for you to play with to find wattage.
Try this calculator.
I threw in some random #'s like your set up and it said maybe 1K watts with 2 video cards..... Someone else may be a better judge on it than me... Oh Boss!!!

12-16-2010, 06:08 PM,
RE: Sue's build FINAL EDITION! this solid?
I think it looks pretty awesome... I may have opted for liquid cooling also, but I know I'll be moving around a few times in the next year (photography assignments) and didn't want to have to monkey with verifying the integrity of the cooling system every time I took it out of the car...

I also went with the SSD for the OS and a few major apps... it's FAST! Definitely worth the money!

I think it's smart to get the 1000w PS for just a little bit more $$$...

When do you anticipate the build starting? You know we expect pictures, right? Smile
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz O/C to 4.20GHz ~ ASUS P7P55D-E Pro MoBo ~ G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (4 x 4GB) ~ CM HAF 922 Case ~ 2X Radeon HD 6850 1GB in Crossfire ~ Sandisk 256GB SATA 3.0 SSD ~ Sandisk 120GB SATA 3.0 SSD ~ A-DATA 64GB SATA II SSD ~ 2X Western Digital 3 TB ~ 2X Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint ~ Corsair 750W Power Supply ~ CM Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler ~ 2x Acer H243H 24" 2ms 24" LCD >>>> 7.7 Windows Score <<<< Highest Stable O/C Score
12-16-2010, 06:41 PM,
I will photograph this baby like it is Scarlet Johanson getting out of a steam-bath!
I am now pondering if i shouldn't just get a solid 850w
and am also deciding between these two RAMs. corsair vengence and corsair dominator

(12-16-2010, 06:08 PM)Adam Wrote: I think it looks pretty awesome... I may have opted for liquid cooling also, but I know I'll be moving around a few times in the next year (photography assignments) and didn't want to have to monkey with verifying the integrity of the cooling system every time I took it out of the car...

I also went with the SSD for the OS and a few major apps... it's FAST! Definitely worth the money!

I think it's smart to get the 1000w PS for just a little bit more $$$...

When do you anticipate the build starting? You know we expect pictures, right? Smile

12-17-2010, 06:37 AM,
If you go liquid cooling is great especially if you have the haf 932 the rad fits on top easily triple double or single.. np ... great case ...

You could cool the GPU with a GPU water block there are around 120+$ for a good one ...

I would say go with a PSU that is modular 80 plus gold or silver ... it means better overall components more reliable... I would suggest go with Corsair PSU's....

Check out the XSPC liquid cooling kit in FrozenCCPU.com .. I got it ITS GREAT ..!! 150 $ a triple rad kit... all you need for a CPU loop...

Also if you are a gamer it doesn't matter SOOO much ... but if you do editing and rendering and delicate stuff I would suggest investing in a good Surge protector, I use a APC 1000VA USP lets me run my rig for about 5 min more than enough to stop rendering/save and ti shut down
the PC... If you do need something like these save at least 100$ in your budget for these... mine cost 140$ and is really neat and displays up time at current charge and watt consumption

If your a gamer then the 932 is a great option but if you have a microcenter near you you should check out the Corsair 700D that is 199$ that is a 100$ discount from retail ... and is a GREAT case... I wish I saw that sale earlier...

Ram wise ... if you just game you should go for Frequency and if you do a lot of editing and workstation type of work you should go for amount ... There a several article in tom's hardware were they prove that non of the current game benefit from more than 3 gigs, that mean the faster those 3 gigs the better... But you need to get at least 4gb and thats low because 3gig for the games but you need more for windows/media players/internet windows/ ETC... so at least 4gb and a good number for not heavy editing function would be 6 GB of 1600 RAM ...

Check out Samsung Spinpoint Hard drives they are dirt cheap right now you could maybe get a raid setup for a reasonable price ...

My 2 cents hope it helps ...
12-17-2010, 11:43 PM,
lol here is 2 more cents ... Tongue ... look at HR new front page ... maybe you should consider 2 6950 for a 100$ bucks more than your gtx580... or 200$ bucks more and you have 2 6970 that is OVERKILL..!!! but FUN..!! hahahah ... Apparently with more careful studies the 69XX are scaling up ...

I hate when there is a close battle I never know what to choose and my shitty luck always leeds me to pick the lesser one ...

But if your really planing on SLI'ing the 580 eventually yes there is no doubt that your on the right path ... with he GTX ....