You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PCI vs USB wireless?
10-19-2011, 06:38 PM,
PCI vs USB wireless?
I'm about to buy my setup and one thing that's always bugged me is that sometimes I have to unplug and replug in my linksys usb adapter in because at least twice a week the internet slows to a halt on my desktop.

Am I better off getting a PCI wireless card? If yes, which one?

I've got a Linksys E1000 router.
10-19-2011, 08:06 PM,
RE: PCI vs USB wireless?
That is strange...what's your internet provider?
Also, are you talking about turning the router on and off again because of the slow networking speed?
Laptop: MacBook Pro 13"
Case: Drawer turned to case CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 CPU Cooler: Stock brah GPU: EVGA GTX 460 HDD: Corsair Nova 32GB Motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 RAM: Ripjaw 8GB 1600 Optical Drive: Don't need PSU: 620W Antec Neo ECO. Operating System: OS X Lion/ Windows 7x64
10-19-2011, 08:13 PM,
Nope, my usb adapter. I've got a E1000 Router and an AE1000 Wireless Adapter. When my internet gets stupid slow, I unplug and replug in my adapter from my computer, and then the speeds go back up. The wireless adapter is also pretty hot, not sure why.
10-20-2011, 01:04 PM,
When I first built my computer, I had a PCI based wireless adapter. One day the drivers randomly stopped working, and the company's website no longer had updated drivers on their website. So now I use a USB TP-Link adapter. It uses Windows drivers so it is never incompatible with my system and it works really well.
So from my experience, I would say a USB stick that uses Windows drivers is the best option, although I have no idea why your current setup is causing so many problems.
CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow Mobo: MSI P67A-G43 GPU: EVGA GTX 580 + BFG GTX 260 RAM: 4x4GB Patriot G2 DDR3 1333MHz SSD: Crucial M4 64GB HDD: 750 GB WD Caviar Black, 640 GB WD Caviar Black, 500 GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 Sound Card Asus Xonar DX Monitor: I-Inc 27" 1920x1200
10-20-2011, 01:56 PM,
I Worked as an installation tech for Comcast for a number of years one of the common problems they do not mention is a small feed back between router and modem ....on that note it is good to periodically power cycle your modem (unplug for 10sec - 1 min) plug back in
I do this weekly
when computer is powered down i unplug router power then unplug the Ethernet cable that is connected to the modem then unplug the modem power wait said amount of time plug modem back in wait for block sync then plug power back into router connect router to modem
I never seem to have speed issues hope this helps a bit oh yes i do this about every other week sometimes weekly sometimes once a month rarely do I ever go over a month