You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laptop Streaming Slowly
10-13-2011, 07:46 AM,
Laptop Streaming Slowly
Hello,

I recently sold my desktop and have noticed that on my newer and supposedly faster laptop that I am having huge performance issues. I am basically unable to stream anything on my laptop as it is constantly buffering. I thought it might be a wifi problem so I plugged my laptop in and am still having the same performance issue. My speeds for online gaming are fine, but whenever I try to stream of surf the web the computer seems to be slow. Any ideas what I could do?

I ran a speedtest and I am usually getting 2mbps on both computers, sometimes my laptops speed dips, but not very often. I don't understand why I am unable to stream on two computers on the same connection.
10-13-2011, 08:58 AM,
RE: Laptop Streaming Slowly
(10-13-2011, 07:46 AM)Sull Wrote: Hello,

I recently sold my desktop and have noticed that on my newer and supposedly faster laptop that I am having huge performance issues. I am basically unable to stream anything on my laptop as it is constantly buffering. I thought it might be a wifi problem so I plugged my laptop in and am still having the same performance issue. My speeds for online gaming are fine, but whenever I try to stream of surf the web the computer seems to be slow. Any ideas what I could do?

I ran a speedtest and I am usually getting 2mbps on both computers, sometimes my laptops speed dips, but not very often. I don't understand why I am unable to stream on two computers on the same connection.

I'd make sure that your video card drivers are up to date, same goes with Windows, your web browser and plugins. When you're trying to stream, check the Windows Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + DELETE keys -> Start Windows Task Manager), go under the processes tab and see if anything is using a lot of CPU or memory.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
10-13-2011, 09:05 AM,
(10-13-2011, 08:58 AM)MathieuB Wrote:
(10-13-2011, 07:46 AM)Sull Wrote: Hello,

I'd make sure that your video card drivers are up to date, same goes with Windows, your web browser and plugins. When you're trying to stream, check the Windows Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + DELETE keys -> Start Windows Task Manager), go under the processes tab and see if anything is using a lot of CPU or memory.

Okay I will take a look when I get home. If that is not the case any other ideas?
10-13-2011, 09:41 AM,
I don't know what the problem is but at my house, my macbook can stream videos better than my windows systems. The HTPC has a lesser graphics card. The other pc has a gtx 460 card. Both of the windows pc are wired to modem yet they always have a small lag time when I start up youtube videos.
Laptop: MacBook Pro 13"
Case: Drawer turned to case CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 CPU Cooler: Stock brah GPU: EVGA GTX 460 HDD: Corsair Nova 32GB Motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 RAM: Ripjaw 8GB 1600 Optical Drive: Don't need PSU: 620W Antec Neo ECO. Operating System: OS X Lion/ Windows 7x64
10-13-2011, 09:59 AM,
(10-13-2011, 09:41 AM)van13330gg Wrote: I don't know what the problem is but at my house, my macbook can stream videos better than my windows systems. The HTPC has a lesser graphics card. The other pc has a gtx 460 card. Both of the windows pc are wired to modem yet they always have a small lag time when I start up youtube videos.

If its a laptop, make sure you have it set to the highest performance settings and not highest battery life settings. Even plugged in, if its in the battery life settings, it could still reduce performance
10-13-2011, 08:01 PM,
(10-13-2011, 09:59 AM)Final692 Wrote:
(10-13-2011, 09:41 AM)van13330gg Wrote: I don't know what the problem is but at my house, my macbook can stream videos better than my windows systems. The HTPC has a lesser graphics card. The other pc has a gtx 460 card. Both of the windows pc are wired to modem yet they always have a small lag time when I start up youtube videos.

If its a laptop, make sure you have it set to the highest performance settings and not highest battery life settings. Even plugged in, if its in the battery life settings, it could still reduce performance

I checked everything that has been posted in this thread. It is not using an excess amount of the CPU only about 10% or memory only about 20% and my drivers are all up to date. Any ideas?

10-13-2011, 08:26 PM,
I'm assuming that you have nothing downloading in the background, such as Utorrent, right?

Which website are you trying to stream from? Which web broswer?
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
10-13-2011, 10:17 PM,
(10-13-2011, 08:26 PM)MathieuB Wrote: I'm assuming that you have nothing downloading in the background, such as Utorrent, right?

Which website are you trying to stream from? Which web broswer?

Nope nothing downloading just youtube and from firefox 7.0.1
10-14-2011, 05:19 AM,
The reason I don't understand it is streaming worked perfectly fine on my old desktop and it works fine on the computer upstairs both of which are older. Would a fresh re-format and install help?
10-14-2011, 08:59 AM,
Re: Laptop Streaming Slowly
When was the last time you rebooted your router?

Sent from my rooted EVO 4g using tapatalk.
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question