You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workstation (DAW) / Gaming set up Question
12-15-2010, 05:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2010, 05:47 AM by setujaq.)
Workstation (DAW) / Gaming set up Question
Hi! My name is setujaq!

I am really brand new with this kind of computer stuff but I am willing to take it to the next level, lolz. I am trying to build my first computer and I am trying to learn as much I can for this project. I kept spending tons of money buying a computer that is up to date and the last computer that I spend is for a Laptop that cost me about 2000 dollars which is now kinda like a waste of money. My main use of this project computer will be more in a Digital Audio Workstation and a little bit of gaming like counter strike and star craft 2. My current laptop cannot support my program like Sony Acid Pro and I am experiencing some difficulties while recording. I can only play starcraft 2 in low settings.
And here is my question (Based from 1250 Workstation set-up).
Is this set up will be good? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Main Use for: Sony Acid Pro / Fruity Loops / once in a while lightroom / once in a while in short video clips / counter strike game / starcraft 2.

[b]CPU/PROCESSOR -[/b] Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
RAM - DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)1600MHz Viper II Sector 5 Series Patriot PGV38G1600ELK
VIDEO CARD - ASUS HD6870 1GB EAH6870 /2DIS/1GD5
HARD DRIVE - Two Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.5 inch RAID 10: Capacity: 2TB (If it is possible and if I can set it up correctly lolz. sorry im nub)
OPTICAL DRIVE - ASUS Black 24X SATA CD/DVD Burner
POWER SUPPLY - SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
CASE - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK
Sound Card- Integrated
Cooler - My question is, do I need to buy a CPU cooler like Zalman CNPS10X Performa CPU Cooler, is this CPU cooler is the same cooler that came with intel core like i7-950?
***and by the way, the reason why I chose to change some of the parts in here compare to the suggestions in a 1250 build is because I want to buy everything all at once in a local store***
I am really sorry guys if my build does not make sense or if there is something wrong at all, I am willing to correct any errors in my build and your suggestions will always be highly appreciated.
Please Please Please, Any ideas, thoughts, comments, bad or good, it doesn't matter, I will accept any good or bad feed backs.

Thank you in advance...

-setujaq-
12-15-2010, 06:39 AM,
RE: Workstation (DAW) / Gaming set up Question
Most people seem to be in agreement that the stock i7 heatsinks are underpowered and loud. I didn't bother with it personally. Plenty of better heatsinks in the $20-$30 dollar range. Lotta builds on this site (including mine) use the cooler master hyper 212 plus as it's very cheap and performs well.
Beast Mode Engaged! CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.62Ghz 1.25v Heatsink: CM Hyper 212+ Mobo: Asus Rampage III Formula Ram: 12GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1574Mhz GPU: 2x XFX Radeon HD 6870 in Crossfire PSU: Corsair TX950W Optical: Lite-On DVDrw HDD: 2x Samsung F3 500GB in Raid 0 Case: CM HAF 932 See it here!
12-16-2010, 05:00 AM,
(12-15-2010, 06:39 AM)Hogrock Wrote: Most people seem to be in agreement that the stock i7 heatsinks are underpowered and loud. I didn't bother with it personally. Plenty of better heatsinks in the $20-$30 dollar range. Lotta builds on this site (including mine) use the cooler master hyper 212 plus as it's very cheap and performs well.

Thank you so much.....
12-16-2010, 02:59 PM,
Look like a solid build.. I just also did a build base on that ... and My 2 cent would be ...

Go safe with the PSU ... that means if you plan to upgrade I would go to 750 or maybe 850 ... and PLZ dont make the same mistake as me DONT be cheap a buy something MODULAR ... if not PSU cables are gonna HAUNT YOUR DREAMS..!!! by that I mean your cable managment Is gonna be 3 times harder...

If you don't do much gaming I would try and go with a Nvidia card since driver tends to be more solid and stable and Solid and Stable is what you look for in a Workstation (mine is a CAD workstation) specially for media content Nvidia...

If you dont game that much try and consider a cheaper GPU card and with that money buy a Sound card .. since you are in the music bizz is defenetly worth it ... I like DnB and dubstep and my next upgrade is a S-card ...

GO BIG with your case ... MAKE EVERTHING sooooo MUCH easier...

Maybe go with a 2 TB Hard drive and save a bit and invest in a SSD for boot ... also is something I wish I Did... specially to save you boot and software make them run SOO much smoother...

Don't buy IC 7 thermal paste unless your a putty master that can tame that un-tamable PIECE of **** people call IC 7 ... lol bad experience with it ... but performance wise is REALLY good....

A heatsink even a basic one is good to give stability to your system ... especially decoding or encoding LONG heavy sound files that tend to give CPU a run for their money ... try and find one that you can upgrade the fans and maybe do a push pull ... I think there is a scythe one that is like 30 bucks and you can put like 2 ultra kaze and is a 50 buck MONSTER cooler... \

last thing READ reviews of every part OVER and Over again ... so you know exactly what to aspect ... especially bad reviews... Netter ready than sorry ...

I wish you luck and If your experience is like mine your gonna enjoy it allot ... and your final product is gonna be sooo satisfying you have no idea ...