You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are this temps good..?
12-15-2010, 12:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2010, 12:30 AM by VNZL.)
are this temps good..?
I have a 950 i7, on a sabertooth x58.. and my cooling sys is a XSPC triple rad kit from FrozenCPU.com and my thermal paste is "IC karat 7" and my temps during Prime 95 are:

Low temp (of all cores): 36C the highest, 30C the lowest.

High temp : 59 C highest, 52C lowest.

This is under 100% load during blend test.

I want to know if these are high for a trip rad sys on a single CPU loop with 3 120mm fans running 1500RPM....

I admit i never built a computer before and i think if F'ed up the thermal paste since i think it was still a bit solid ( IC karat needs preheating)...

My plan is to OC to 4.0Ghz or near that... but i want a good base stock temp to compare...

here is a picture of the setup...

.jpg   IMG_2993.JPG (Size: 331.08 KB / Downloads: 25)
PD: after i solve this ill post a very poor build log.. Tongue... apparently i suck at taking picture each step but i kinda tell my story for first time builders like me...

PD: my room temp is 25C
12-15-2010, 01:06 AM,
RE: are this temps good..?
First off, I cannot help you. Just so you don't expect too much from my comment, hehe.

The thing that immediately popped into my head when I opened that picture was "You see, the inside of the computer, much like the internet, is a series of tubes." It looks cool.

Mostly, I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to a build log from someone else who's building for the first time!
*My New Baby* CPU: Intel Core i5 2.8GHz Quad-Core Cooling: CM Hyper 212+ Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) Video Card: 2x HIS Radeon HD 6850 1GB in Crossfire PSU: KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W Modular Storage: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB - A-DATA 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal SSD Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case Monitor: ASUS 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor Mouse: RAZER Lachesis 5600
12-15-2010, 05:15 PM,
59c is getting towards the hot range but i usually go by anything under 60 is good, so u are right on the cusp. honestly, a big part of it is opinion. your hardware can withstand way more heat than you can imagine. what ever is acceptable to u is what you should go off of. for me, 60 is getting high for a cpu, but it can definitely handle it Smile
<insert clever sig>
12-15-2010, 06:53 PM,
My Intel i5 has the exact same range as yours so i think youre fine for now, but I havent run Prime 95 to stress test yet. If you want to overclock you're definitely going to need to get the temp down in my opinion though.
12-15-2010, 08:33 PM,
For Water-cooling, at stock speed, that's way too high in my opinion, for the high temp anyway

More importantly, the gap between your lowest and highest core temperature? That's bad.

What method did you use to apply the thermal compound? I'm thinking that's your issue here.

Also, what are the fans that you're using on the radiator? Are they pushing air on the radiator or pulling air away from it?
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
12-16-2010, 12:38 AM,
(12-15-2010, 08:33 PM)MathieuB Wrote: More importantly, the gap between your lowest and highest core temperature? That's bad.
How bad? What's an acceptable difference in core temperatures? Mine have about the same variance as VNZL with the same CPU
Beast Mode Engaged! CPU: Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.62Ghz 1.25v Heatsink: CM Hyper 212+ Mobo: Asus Rampage III Formula Ram: 12GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1574Mhz GPU: 2x XFX Radeon HD 6870 in Crossfire PSU: Corsair TX950W Optical: Lite-On DVDrw HDD: 2x Samsung F3 500GB in Raid 0 Case: CM HAF 932 See it here!
12-16-2010, 04:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2010, 04:29 AM by VNZL.)
Well my method was pea but I was F'ing up and I push and pulled several times so I imagine there are more than a couple of bubbles in the paste.. so I'm gonna re apply the paste...

Fans are the one that came with the rad kit... I'm thinking of investing on some S-flex... and they are on a pull setup, but i put dust filter on the rad, I imagine that is F'ing the air flow but I hate dust... and I decided to put them direct on the rad since the Haf X has no kind of dust control so was the only place I think i could control the dust deposit on the rad ...

PD: the temp are mesured with realtemp, CUP-Z, Coretemp... all show similar data and gaps on temps...
12-16-2010, 09:19 AM,
(12-16-2010, 12:38 AM)Hogrock Wrote:
(12-15-2010, 08:33 PM)MathieuB Wrote: More importantly, the gap between your lowest and highest core temperature? That's bad.
How bad? What's an acceptable difference in core temperatures? Mine have about the same variance as VNZL with the same CPU

Nevermind, I got confused between his low and high temperatures. I thought 36C was his lowest core and 59C his highest, both at load. My bad ^^;
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
12-16-2010, 09:29 AM,
(12-16-2010, 04:28 AM)VNZL Wrote: Well my method was pea but I was F'ing up and I push and pulled several times so I imagine there are more than a couple of bubbles in the paste.. so I'm gonna re apply the paste...

Fans are the one that came with the rad kit... I'm thinking of investing on some S-flex... and they are on a pull setup, but i put dust filter on the rad, I imagine that is F'ing the air flow but I hate dust... and I decided to put them direct on the rad since the Haf X has no kind of dust control so was the only place I think i could control the dust deposit on the rad ...

PD: the temp are mesured with realtemp, CUP-Z, Coretemp... all show similar data and gaps on temps...

Pea method is an old method that's pretty bad for quad-cores CPU, since it doesn't cover the whole CPU surface. Check out this article for the best way to apply thermal paste: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?op...mitstart=4

Having fans pull on a radiator is pretty ineffective, I highly recommend switching your fans around, put them under the radiator and have them push air against it. That should help quite a bit.

Also, you should indeed remove the dust filter, for one very simple reason (other than blocking airflow that is): The air is leaving your case, you want dust out of your case, not stuck in the filter Wink By using a filter, the dust gets stuck in there instead of exiting the case.
12-16-2010, 02:41 PM,

KK so replied paste, temps better... not what I was expecting but a lil better average 5C less than before measurements... in prime 95 blend test 8 cores 30 min running time...

But gonna re apply but with the methods MathieuB posted... Think I'm gonna change to AS-5 seriously IC 7 is a NIGHTMARE for beginners like me at least... There is thermal paste everywhere ... AHHH... I HATE THERMAL PASTE... I think if AS-5 its easier to apply I wont care for the 200 hours cure...

Btw: I'm using isopropyl alcohol to remove the paste but i think I'm not removing it completely completely... since the processor after removing the paste is still a bit darker than when it was new so I think there is still extremely thin layer of paste on the grove of the top of the CPU ... can I buy a better solvent to use .. or what can I do..? In home depot they sale 100%alcohol .. should i get some? lol I'm about to get XENOL that is a epoxy solvent ... /jk .. but IC is horrible stick to everything and hard to remove ... AHHH

I'm gonna do MathieuB suggestion to change fans to push ... already removed dust filters... I'm gonna order later today some S-flex fans 1600rpm... (weird thing .. I think my fans are 1 speed or my mobo fan controller are F'ed up or my mobo driver for fan control are F'ed up since my fans are stuck at 1600rpm...)

Need some feed back ... I think i have a lil bit of space in the case so .. im not sure if i should go fans+shroud in push or buy 3 more fans and go push pull ... I want really good temps for a rock solid 4 Ghz OC... but still being quite I mostly do autocad and 3dsmax and I usually do it in silence so a loud PC is a real pain ...

So a sum up of questions for people that don't want to read:

1.- gonna change to push
2.- Think I'm gonna change to AS-5 (applying process of IC 7 is HORRIBLE)
3.- Gonna change stock WC kit fans for 1600rpm S-flex from scythe
4.- Question should I go push Fan+Shroud or Standard push-pull? Sadly I doubt I could fit push pull + Shroud... I want a bigger case ... (I'm kinda scared that Push+pull is gonna be too loud...)