You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooler Fan Speed No Longer Varies. Runs at Top Speed
10-01-2011, 08:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2011, 08:41 AM by lennyh.)
Cooler Fan Speed No Longer Varies. Runs at Top Speed
The fan on my Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus has just started running only at top speed (approx 2014) regardless of the CPU temp.

The MB is an ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 with a mildly o/c Phenom 1055T. The idle temp is 31C. Up until recently, the fan ran as expected, very slowly during idle and gradually changing speed up and down appropriately as the cpu temp varied.

Then, a few days ago, the fan began running only at top speed regardless of the CPU temp. No changes have been made to the system. No new parts, no BIOS changes, etc.

Any ideas? Is the problem likely being caused by a faulty fan, faulty MB, something else? Any ideas regarding how I might diagnose/fix this greatly appreciated.
10-01-2011, 10:09 AM,
RE: Cooler Fan Speed No Longer Varies. Runs at Top Speed
Double check your BIOS settings before doing anything else, in case they got reset somehow.
Your friendly forum administrator.
10-01-2011, 11:13 AM,
Andrew J, thank you for your helpful response.

I went into the BIOS and checked the CPU Q-Fan Function. I have never explicitly set that, but noticed that it was set to Disabled (the default is Enabled). I then set the CPU Q-Fan Mode to Standard (also the default). It had been set to Turbo!. Saved and restarted and all is now AOK. Don't know how these ever got set to the non-default values.

Over the past few weeks, I experimented with some fan speed apps, but never (knowingly) changed anything. Wonder if one of them perhaps reached down into the BIOS and changed it.

Also, do you happen to know whether this BIOS function is specifically intended to enable/disable the basic pwn control of the CPU fan as it has appeared to do in my case?

In any case, I'm good for now. Thank you for your help.

Lenny
10-01-2011, 06:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-01-2011, 06:14 PM by Andrew J.)
I believe you're allowed to disable it simply because in some situations noise doesn't matter (eg in server rooms) and it makes sense to get maximum cooling all the time.

Glad you were able to fix it. Smile
Your friendly forum administrator.