You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help choosing motherboard?
10-01-2011, 02:46 AM,
Help choosing motherboard?
Greetings!

I apologize if this has already been covered before. I am getting ready for my first PC build ever and have the following parts already ordered:

i5 2500k CPU
8 GB G. Skill Ripjaws (2x4) Ram
XFX HD 6870 1 GB. GPU (maybe add another for crossfire one day?)
1 TB F3 HDD
Lite-On Optical Drive
Seasonic X-750 Gold PSU
ClearPC X-Flo Case

I am having trouble picking out a good motherboard for my build. I have read so many reviews and there seem to be so many good choices available. I would like to keep the cost under $200, closer to $150 would be great! I also hope to have a motherboard that is somewhat future-proof.

Thank you for any feedback or advice you might offer,

Cheers!
Since posting my question, I have found more info online and on this site regarding the ASRock P67 Extreme series motherboards. Between the Extreme 3, 4, or 6... what would you recommend? It seems like Asus P8P67 and MSI P67A-GD65 are also close competitors. I am very interested in hearing what you all have to say about making your MOBO choice, and if you are already using one of these cards perhaps?

Thanks again!
10-01-2011, 04:10 PM,
RE: Help choosing motherboard?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157265
Comes with PCIe 3.0. So, if you are to get the new IvyBridge CPU's that are coming out, it will run your GPU's better.

Check out the Overview video on the newegg website.
10-01-2011, 04:22 PM,
(10-01-2011, 04:10 PM)joshlete Wrote: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157265
Comes with PCIe 3.0. So, if you are to get the new IvyBridge CPU's that are coming out, it will run your GPU's better.

Check out the Overview video on the newegg website.

Hey, Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I appreciate your help. I think it would be nice to have the option to move to Ivybridge later without having to change my mainboard.

What about this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as..._-13157271

It seems like a great price and also has the PCIe-3.0 being gen3 like the Extreme4. Doesn't seem to have nearly as many reviews though...
10-02-2011, 06:50 PM,
Well now I think I am going to get that instead also. What is nice about the Z68 is that you can use the CPU's built in graphics and the P67, you cannot.

They look exactly the same to me, while the Z68 is a bit smaller board.

Is there anyone that can confirm this great trade? Anything worse on the Z68 than the P67? I definitely want this board since it is also cheaper.
10-04-2011, 12:16 AM,
(10-02-2011, 06:50 PM)joshlete Wrote: Well now I think I am going to get that instead also. What is nice about the Z68 is that you can use the CPU's built in graphics and the P67, you cannot.

They look exactly the same to me, while the Z68 is a bit smaller board.

Is there anyone that can confirm this great trade? Anything worse on the Z68 than the P67? I definitely want this board since it is also cheaper.

Likewise, I think what I was getting was a Biostar TZ68A and newegg had it for sadly, 120... this seems like the best of both worlds as the ASRock Extreme 3 and the Biostar TZ68A. Is it too good to be true?