You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failure rate of motherboards
09-29-2011, 06:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM by ddb.)
Failure rate of motherboards
I am planning on building a new computer soon. The one I use now was my first build and that was 4 years ago. I don't know if I got lucky, but it fired up the first time and has worked with out a problem ever since. I do a lot of photoshop work on very large files and I know its time to upgrade. However, after looking at reviews on newegg for motherboards, I'm hesitant to build rather than buy prebuilt. On almost all new boards the number of reviewers saying that they got a DOA board is alarming. This holds true for Asus and Gigabyte, MSI or ASrock. Is this really something to be concerned about? I prefer Gigabyte but even their supposedly better boards are showing a DOA rate of 10% from the reviewers. I had planned on an i5 2500k cpu and a z68 board but can't find any boards without some failure rate. Is this all that common?
09-29-2011, 06:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-29-2011, 06:30 PM by Brian.)
RE: Failure rate of motherboards
Bear in mind that something around 10% of DOA reviews does not mean the DOA rate is 10%. People tend to post reviews under two scenarios.

1. The product is really, really awesome.
2. The product is really, really bad, includes DOA.

It's pretty hard to get excited over a motherboard. You rarely ever see 2-4 star reviews. It's either 1 or 5. There probably are plenty of people who have working motherboards who can't be bothered to post a review. There are few people who have a DOA motherboard who wouldn't complain (if any).

Considering 10% of the reviews say DOA, I'd say the real failure rate is around 1% or slightly higher. In other words, the motherboard is very reliable.

tl;dr: Human psychology. Failure rate is far lower than 10%.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"
09-29-2011, 09:33 PM,
(09-29-2011, 06:26 PM)Brian Wrote: Bear in mind that something around 10% of DOA reviews does not mean the DOA rate is 10%. People tend to post reviews under two scenarios.

1. The product is really, really awesome.
2. The product is really, really bad, includes DOA.

It's pretty hard to get excited over a motherboard. You rarely ever see 2-4 star reviews. It's either 1 or 5. There probably are plenty of people who have working motherboards who can't be bothered to post a review. There are few people who have a DOA motherboard who wouldn't complain (if any).

Considering 10% of the reviews say DOA, I'd say the real failure rate is around 1% or slightly higher. In other words, the motherboard is very reliable.

tl;dr: Human psychology. Failure rate is far lower than 10%.

That's more reassuring. I believe Asus and Gigabyte are supposed to be the two best brands. I have been looking at some MSI and ASRock boards but know nothing about the reliability and reputation of their products.
09-29-2011, 10:18 PM,
Having watched these forums for quite awhile, i would back up that I don't think I have ever seen a dead MOBO issue. Almost always a psu/gpu/ram failure. As for brands, I believe Matthieu's recomendations within the build recomendations all have good reliability. I believe I read hear that ASRock was a former ASUS company and has very good reliability. I think ASUS, GIGABYTE, ASRock and MSI all make solid boards.
09-29-2011, 10:20 PM,
MSI is a bit behind Asus, Gigabyte, and ASRock in terms of reliability, but they're all acceptable.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"