You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help, Gaming Budget Computer
09-14-2011, 04:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2011, 04:08 PM by joshlete.)
Help, Gaming Budget Computer
I am very newbie to the whole building rigs stuff. Though, I still know some stuff.

My current rig (VERY old)
Motherboard: Asus A8V-X
CPU: AMD Athlon FX-55
RAM: (2 x 1GB) PC3200 DDR (Everest says its running at 200MHz) :\
GPU: nVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS
HDD: 500gb Sata Drive

I would like to have a good Gaming rig. I would like to play games such as Battlfield 3 and Crysis 2 on good settings. Hopefully atleast on medium/high. I would also like a computer that is future savy as I wont be buying another rig for a loong time. I can scrounge up about maybe $300 for now. (Will get more money in the future). I don't absolutely need the rig immediately. I do not need a HDD, GPU, or a DVD drive. The GPU can wait if the Mobo has a integrated GPU.

So the most important things I would need would be a Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and case(Case doesn't matter on looks).
EDIT: And probably a power supply

Another side note, I don't need an intensive amount of RAM immediately either. I can live with 2/4 gigs of RAM for a while. Though, I would want to upgrade to atleast 8 gigs in the future(a few months wouldn't matter to me).

I am not the richest man in the world, so budget is important. Though, I will be saving up to upgrade more in the future. What is your guys recommendations to what I should purchase. I wont be buying these stuff for atleast 1 month (maybe even more) but I would like to know what I should be looking for.

Any help is appreciated, thanks! Smile
09-14-2011, 04:51 PM,
RE: Help, Gaming Budget Computer
Your PSU probably needs upgrading also so $300 is a very tough start. Maybe you should save up more and then get what you want/need in 1 swift swoop.
09-14-2011, 05:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2011, 05:28 PM by joshlete.)
How much money would I need to do what I want?
I think I might be able to get maybe $400. Could that work anything?
09-14-2011, 07:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2011, 07:08 PM by Andrew J.)
A $300 computer able to play Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3 on decent settings is really hard to do. Even without the GPU/HDD cost you'll be hard pressed to get a decent processor.

I guess I would get the following: Intel Core i3-2100, this ASRock motherboard, this Antec 430W 80 PLUS PSU and 4GB G.Skill RAM.

Your friendly forum administrator.
09-14-2011, 07:13 PM,
I guess I should save up for atleast $400. And I don't need every part immediately. What should I start off with. Should I wait until I get around $500 (Could take a few months)?
09-14-2011, 07:24 PM,
I updated my post with some part recommendations that should work.
Your friendly forum administrator.
09-14-2011, 08:49 PM,
Yeah, I am going to up my budget atleast to $400. In the future, I will gain a few hundred dollars more, hopefully $200(It will take a few months though). I would probably like a better processor. I was looking at those triple cores that can unlock to a quadcore, though I hear it is 50/50 chance the 4th can be unlocked. Also, the motherboard I would like a good one. I am mainly looking for a good CPU and motherboard so that it is future-proof for quite a few years.

Here are a few pictures of my current(extremely old) rig. Encase it would help or if anyone is interested.

Entire inside
[Image: 2hdnmz6.jpg]

GPU
[Image: fut9ug.jpg]

Upside down picture of PSU
[Image: 167ruox.jpg]

CPU heatsink
[Image: qy8hus.jpg]

So I will try to get a new budget of $400 to $500. Is there anything good I can make with this budget?
09-14-2011, 10:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2011, 10:10 PM by joshlete.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...067296&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...llFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...%20HCG-520

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...067296&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820148419

This comes to about $450 not including the GPU. I would like to get a GPU that will crossfire/sli, does this motherboard support it?
Also, with the RAM, I would want to upgrade to 8 gigs in the future, could I do this with the current ram I chose?

Another thing, is there a cheaper casing I could choose? I don't care about sound or look at all.
09-14-2011, 11:16 PM,
That motherboard does support Crossfire, however its second PCI-Express 16x slot runs at 4x, which would be bottleneck your second video card. In other words, I wouldn't recommend it for Crossfire or SLI. Besides, your power supply wouldn't be able to handle a second video card.

Considering your budget, I'd put aside the idea of possibly upgrading to SLI/Crossfire and instead focus on a powerful single-GPU setup, which is much more cost-effective when you're tight on money.

Yes, you could upgrade the RAM to 8GB by getting another (preferably) identical kit.

The Rosewill Challenger would be a cheaper alternative that still provides sufficent cooling, at $55: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811147153
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
09-15-2011, 02:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-15-2011, 02:54 AM by joshlete.)
What is more future-proof, doing Crossfire/SLI or a single powerful GPU. If Crossfire/SLI is more future-proof, would there be a Motherboard and power supply compatible with that Intel CPU that can do Crossfire/SLI?

My friend has a very old GPU PCI that I could use. I wouldn't mind using that for a few months to get more money to be able to buy Crossfire/SLI GPU's.

Is that RAM any good for the kind of rig I would want? Any other recommendations? If anyone has a different recommendation for any of the items, please post.

My main concern is to be future proof.