You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm parting my old computer to upgrade to a new one, advice needed!
09-07-2011, 10:38 AM,
I'm parting my old computer to upgrade to a new one, advice needed!
Hi there, first post here. I've lurked the website from time to time, and I think it's about time I update ('modernize') my computer. So here I am to ask a few things.

My current rig has a Corsair HX750 for a PSU, and I have a GTX 460 (link:GTX 460). I got these two specifically so that I could look at upgrading down the road and running SLI with another 460.

My other components are older generation, so I was just going to throw in some bargain PSU/VC and sell it off to fund this. So here are my questions:

1) Is it worth it to buy another GTX460 and run it in SLI, or is there something better out there? I've been looking and it seems like a 460/SLI would really do it. It's only going to cost me another $180 at this point since the PSU is compatible, so that's my reasoning.

2) I've noticed certain PSU's are marked as being compatible with i5. Is that a marketing thing or something I genuinly need to be concerned about? is my PSU compatible?

So assuming my PSU and my current 460 + another will be compatible, the build I'm striving for is probably an Antec 300, i5-2500k, Biostar TZ68A Vs. ASRock P67 (undecided, leaning towards ASRock though), some Mushkin gaming ram, I already have a Caviar Black sitting collecting dust.

I'll just grab an LG disc drive, and I dont plan on overclocking the i5 a whole lot so I'm thinking heatsink for now, maybe liquid down the road.

I think that's about it....thoughts?
09-07-2011, 12:13 PM,
RE: I'm parting my old computer to upgrade to a new one, advice needed!
1) Yes. But $180 is ridiculous for a 460. I recommend you get this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6814130597

2) Marketing thing.

Looks good.
Your friendly forum administrator.
09-07-2011, 12:19 PM,
Two 460s in SLI is still incredible performance for the price. It should let you play just about anything as long up to 1920x1200 I would think. Higher resolution would probably require lowering the eye candy a bit.

I've never heard of a PSU not being compatible with a CPU, but after a quick google search, it seems like some PSUs don't have the right 8 pin cord to plug in next to the CPU, but there are adapters to make it work.

For your motherboards, you can't go too wrong with either one. Personally I would go with ASRock.
CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow Mobo: MSI P67A-G43 GPU: EVGA GTX 580 + BFG GTX 260 RAM: 4x4GB Patriot G2 DDR3 1333MHz SSD: Crucial M4 64GB HDD: 750 GB WD Caviar Black, 640 GB WD Caviar Black, 500 GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 Sound Card Asus Xonar DX Monitor: I-Inc 27" 1920x1200
09-07-2011, 01:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011, 01:25 PM by Zacman0126.)
Thanks guys. Both replies are awesome.

I've only got one additional question for you Andrew relating to the VC. I've always heard that when it comes to running cards in SLI, its best to get two of the same card. Now I realize you recommended a 460 which is still the same card, but its a different edition thus begs the question is it's more advisable to cough up the extra $40 in order to avoid possible compatibility issues?

Also, I'm Canadian in case you couldnt tell by the links to newegg.CA, so yes 460's are still a little egregious on my side of the fence, but so are all the other cards. I simply went with the same I had previously purchased for the sake of not complicating things.

Slagathor, I'm also thinking the ASRock for sure. I didn't realize before posting, but the other one is DDR2, and ASRock is DDR3. My current mobo is DDR2 so that would be shooting myself in the foot.
09-07-2011, 01:22 PM,
I know you asked Andrew, but I feel I might be able to answer your question. It's impossible to mix cards with different VRAM. So if you tried using a 768 MB and a 1 GB version of the 460, you would get nothing.

Also, different cards come with different clock speeds mostly, and the system (I believe) throttles the performance of the higher card to meet the lower card. So if you got Andrew's recommendation, you would have to OC it a bit more to meet your card's current speeds. Otherwise, you should be fine.
CPU: Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow Mobo: MSI P67A-G43 GPU: EVGA GTX 580 + BFG GTX 260 RAM: 4x4GB Patriot G2 DDR3 1333MHz SSD: Crucial M4 64GB HDD: 750 GB WD Caviar Black, 640 GB WD Caviar Black, 500 GB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 Sound Card Asus Xonar DX Monitor: I-Inc 27" 1920x1200
09-07-2011, 01:32 PM,
When I clicked on Andrew's link, for some reason I thought it was a different manufacturer of the card, I looked back again and realize it's basically the same card just different exhaust design.

Slagathor, I've heard this before actually and that was my reasoning behind getting the exact same card. On the other hand though, I use EVGA's Precision utility to OC my card all the time, so it really wouldnt be that hard bring the other one up anyways. Hmm..
09-07-2011, 01:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011, 02:03 PM by MathieuB.)
Woah, be careful there. Andrew, you recommended the GTX 460 SE, a much slower card, as it only has 288 Processor Cores vs 336 on the standard GTX 460, not to mention that lower frequencies. To avoid.

1) SLI makes plenty of sense here, I'd recommend getting the same card that you currently have, which is an excellent version of the GTX 460.

2) Marketing rubbish.

Edit: Just noticed a few more things:
Motherboard: Avoid the Biostar model, because its second PCI-Express 2.0 16x slot runs at 4x, which will be a bottleneck for your video card.

Your PSU should have no problem handling your setup. However, what is your current case fan setup on your Antec 300? You might need an extra case fan or two for a SLI setup.
Laptop: MSI GS30 Shadow-045 Dimensions: 12.6" x 8.9" x 0.8" 2.65lbs CPU: Intel Core i7-4870HQ Quad-Core + Hyper-Threading OC 2.5-3.9GHz RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Video Card: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Storage: 2x128GB SDD RAID0 Audio: ASUS Xonar U3 USB Sound Card + Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones Screen: 13.3" - 1920 x 1080 IPS + 27" Dell P2715Q IPS 3840 x 2160 Keyboard: Filco Majestouch MX Cherry Blue Mouse: Logitech MX518
09-07-2011, 03:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011, 03:46 PM by Zacman0126.)
(09-07-2011, 01:57 PM)MathieuB Wrote: Woah, be careful there. Andrew, you recommended the GTX 460 SE, a much slower card, as it only has 288 Processor Cores vs 336 on the standard GTX 460, not to mention that lower frequencies. To avoid.

1) SLI makes plenty of sense here, I'd recommend getting the same card that you currently have, which is an excellent version of the GTX 460.

2) Marketing rubbish.

Edit: Just noticed a few more things:
Motherboard: Avoid the Biostar model, because its second PCI-Express 2.0 16x slot runs at 4x, which will be a bottleneck for your video card.

Your PSU should have no problem handling your setup. However, what is your current case fan setup on your Antec 300? You might need an extra case fan or two for a SLI setup.

The man himself! Thank you for gracing me with your presence.

Now I initially said the Antec 300, but I actually was mistaken as to which case that was, and now It's down to the Antec 1200 gamer case V3, and the Cooler Master HAF 932. My local shop has the Antec on sale for $140, so I'm fairly positive I'm going with that one.

I know someone who has the nine hundred and the airflow is excellent. Thank you for clarifying the VC issue, I will order the same one.

I noted in a later post that I will most likely end up getting the ASRock, it has every feature I want and need, so it's good that you concur with that.

Thanks again man, your site has been a great help over the years.

EDIT: One thing I forgot to ask. Do you happen to know, with the ASRock, is Kingston memory the best to go with? Will I have compatibility issues if I go with say, Mushkin? Patriot? The reason I ask is I actually get a corperate discount at a local shop, and their selection of Kingston is dismal...
09-07-2011, 07:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2011, 07:03 PM by Andrew J.)
Ah sorry, that was a careless mistake of mine, I was tired. Get this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6814130565

While it's not overclocked, the other one will slightly downclock to match the frequencies and is overall worth the price reduction in my opinion.
Your friendly forum administrator.