You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi All!
09-06-2011, 01:30 PM,
Hi All!
Here goes (sorry for the long post)... I'm in my late 20's and have been messing with computers on a hardware level since before finishing high-school. Beyond a first year university course in java programming and some basic html in high-school, everything I know about computers has been self-taught.

My interests computer wise range from configuring hardware to basic web design, linux server administration, "tech support" for friends and just generally seeing what I can make them do. Otherwise I'm very much an outdoors person. I enjoy hiking, hunting, fishing, etc., which is a big part of why I call the Yukon in Canada home.

The first time I "built" a computer was more or less by accident - a friend had bought me a new PSU for my birthday to replace the rather pitiful one in my Dell desktop. When I found it didn't fit the case, I bought a new case. When I found the Dell motherboard didn't fit the new case (stupid proprietary junk), I bought a new motherboard... you get the picture. Needless to say once I'd "finished" there weren't many parts left from the original Dell. It has since been through one minor and one major overhaul and is now a linux server performing a variety of duties that I won't bore you with here.

I curerently use a MacBook Pro from 2006 as my main computer, so it's getting a bit aged... as you can probably guess, I'm going to be building myself something newer. I've never had a serious gaming computer before (unless you call a P4 with a 128 MB AGP ATI Radeon 9700 Pro "serious"), so that's the direction I'd like to go while still trying to stick to a reasonable budget. I'm going to post my proposed specs in another thread in the appropriate place, I'd value any and all insight into my choices.

Thanks for the absolutely incredible site and I look forward to making good use of it.
09-06-2011, 02:52 PM,
RE: Hi All!
Welcome to the forums! I'm curious though, how was your old PSU "pitiful"?
Your friendly forum administrator.
09-06-2011, 02:57 PM,
It was a mere 250W if I recall... it might have been less. It didn't leave much (if any) room for upgrading, and I knew at the very least I wanted to add a much better video card than what the system came with.
09-06-2011, 03:10 PM,
Oh ok, gotcha.
Your friendly forum administrator.
09-06-2011, 08:41 PM,
Good to have you here. How much Java did you learn? I am currently trying to learn Java but at times it seems daunting.
Here are some links you may find useful.
Forum Rules - Introduce Yourself - Things to know before asking a question
09-06-2011, 09:22 PM,
Welcome to the forums!

I took an entry level Java class a few years ago and it was a nightmare Tongue
09-07-2011, 09:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM by Ziggy114.)
I was told Java is a lot like C++ in its structure, with subtle differences... it wasn't a bad experience, but I found I was better at the "making it work" than "making it work while practising good style". In the end I had learned to make some simple programs and applets, but as Comp Sci wasn't my major I didn't continue. I've forgotten most of what I learned but I'm sure it would come back if I tried working with it again.

I should try and find the tutorial website I used to refer to, it was quite good.

*** Edit: I realize now how dumb it would be to try and find the java tutorials I used in 2003/04 - things have changed. I did look around though, there are some a simple google search away that look good. Too bad it's all Oracle now and not Sun, but oh well I guess.