You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Input appreciated on a build.
08-28-2011, 04:27 PM,
Input appreciated on a build.
I was looking to put together a system, I was aiming for somewhere around 1200-1400, not an entire system, recycling my mechanical HD's, two 10k velociraptors, my monitor/peripherals etc.

Everything else I'm planning on buying new, I've read a lot of the guides and what not, and I realize some of it is probably overkill, but oh well, I'm going to be primarily gaming, multi-tasking, prefer multi monitors but only running two currently, maybe do some encoding although rarely, and while I don't know if I want to overclock out the gate I was interested in doing it later, hence some of the choices. I'm not particularly interested in water cooling if I can avoid it(which is another thing I don't have much experience with and would appreciate some feedback on). One thing I also wanted to do which I may or may not have with this setup, was the "future proof it" concept that some of the articles listed, so I'm not sure if this setup accomplishes that or not.

That being said -

Antec DF-85 for the case, (a largely aesthetic choice, and it supposedly has really good airflow). I'm aware of the haf-x I didn't really like the way it looks, but I'm not dead set on putting form before function.

Asus P8P67 Delux-Rev3.0, seemed like it had pretty much everything, and maybe more than I really need, haven't always been a fan of the brand but it "looks" from reviews like it'd be a good performer.

2x Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 6950's (2gig version)(hoping for the unlock obviously), and to crossfire them(which I haven't done in a system yet, and was interested in doing).

I7-2600k, overclock eventually, (probably overkill for most of the stuff I do)

Wanted to go with 8 gigs of ram, liked the looks of the ripjaw stuff, but taking an aftermarket cpu cooler into consideration I might go with something more low profile as all the guides here have suggested, and maybe somewhere around 1600 or higher speed wise.

Kind of open ended on the power supply thing, I think right now I was eyeing the antec high current 750 w, 80 plus bronze, or whatever it is. Could maybe stand to go higher.

I did read a lot of the guides on this site, and some other places trying to do the research and what not, and of course would appreciate any feedback if anyone has any, thanks in advance =)

I've considered the ssd boot/app drive concept, but might opt to do that later. The other thing I was considering doing was ordering the cards now, as I'm pretty sure I want to take them as the route, and throw at least one of them in my existing system temporarily.

Current setup is
EVGA LGA 775, nforce 750 sli ftw
Evga GeForce GTX 260, 896 memory
650W Power supply
4 gig corsair dominator 1066
2.5gig Core 2 Quad q6600 kentsfield
The Velociraptors in raid 0.

This system still runs most of my stuff pretty well it's definitely showing it's age a bit though as it's about two years old currently. Only supports windows 7/32bit also, so ram capped. Would of course plan on running 64bit on the new system. Thus ends my rambling, so a redundant thanks =)

08-29-2011, 01:40 AM,
RE: Input appreciated on a build.
You pretty much got everything laid out nicely...only part you have to do is put the new system in then ship the old one to me Wink
Laptop: MacBook Pro 13"
Case: Drawer turned to case CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 CPU Cooler: Stock brah GPU: EVGA GTX 460 HDD: Corsair Nova 32GB Motherboard: GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Z68 RAM: Ripjaw 8GB 1600 Optical Drive: Don't need PSU: 620W Antec Neo ECO. Operating System: OS X Lion/ Windows 7x64
08-29-2011, 08:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2011, 08:11 AM by Andrew J.)
Looks pretty nice. I'd go for 850W though at least with the two 6950s in CrossFire such as this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151100
Your friendly forum administrator.
08-29-2011, 09:11 AM,
A little off-topic, but your current rig supports 64-bit...any reason why you didn't go 64-bit? Q6600 is Intel EM64T compatible.

I do like the motherboard selection, particularly. The Deluxe specifically (rather than EVO or Pro) has a better power phase for overclocking and comes with the front panel USB 3.0 box. It's a bit pricey, but not ridiculously so.

You didn't mention it, so I will: what resolution are you running at? I sure hope it's at least 1920x1080, otherwise your machine is seriously overkill for graphics. (I'm going to assume it is, based on your tower budget).

As far as an aftermarket cooler, depending on what you're looking at, the RAM can be worked around, but it's good to consider it. I guess I'm spoiled with my AIO water cooler because the pump on the CPU is so tiny. I really don't have any complaints about mine, and I certainly don't worry about flexing my motherboard in transit with some huge tower cooler.
08-29-2011, 08:27 PM,
(08-29-2011, 09:11 AM)Jorgisven Wrote: A little off-topic, but your current rig supports 64-bit...any reason why you didn't go 64-bit? Q6600 is Intel EM64T compatible.

I do like the motherboard selection, particularly. The Deluxe specifically (rather than EVO or Pro) has a better power phase for overclocking and comes with the front panel USB 3.0 box. It's a bit pricey, but not ridiculously so.

You didn't mention it, so I will: what resolution are you running at? I sure hope it's at least 1920x1080, otherwise your machine is seriously overkill for graphics. (I'm going to assume it is, based on your tower budget).

As far as an aftermarket cooler, depending on what you're looking at, the RAM can be worked around, but it's good to consider it. I guess I'm spoiled with my AIO water cooler because the pump on the CPU is so tiny. I really don't have any complaints about mine, and I certainly don't worry about flexing my motherboard in transit with some huge tower cooler.

I wasn't capable of installing 64 bit the last time I tried on a fresh reformat, I can't remember "exactly" what happened, but it didn't let me. I lost out on the 6950 toxics as they're out of stock now, second guessing my choices never really pays off =), I run 1920x1080, and overkill is part of the plan. Depending on the game it'd be nice to run it at higher.

Yeah the air cooled towers look pretty ridiculously big... and I do travel a lot with my tower. I tried looking at some of the low profile ones but I recall reading they just aren't comparable on heat reduction.

As to sending my old computer to someone else, I'd like to keep it, so my apologies, once I get new hd's and cycle mine back to it. Granted i know that was a joke, but yeah =) No dice :!P

08-29-2011, 08:29 PM,
AIO water coolers, formally known as LCLC (low cost liquid cooling), offers less performance per dollar than the high end air coolers. This is why I don't recommend them except under special circumstances (such as low profile use), but travelling a lot would certainly warrant use of LCLC.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"