You need to Read the rules and Join the forums before you can post.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OCZ Agility 3 good replacement for OCZ Agility 2?
08-26-2011, 04:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2011, 04:18 PM by raoulteeuwen.)
OCZ Agility 3 good replacement for OCZ Agility 2?
Hi.

Based on the hardware-revolution website, my son ordered the parts for a new gaming PC. Our 1st self-build PC. Thanks for this website!

We live in the Netherlands. The OCZ Agility 2 90GB (which is part of the current Gaming-PC) which we hoped to buy, is sold out everywhere in the Netherlands. We get recommended the OCZ agility 3 120GB.

One of the (by hardware-revolution) 'recommended upgrades' for this Gaming PC is a OCZ agility 3 240GB, but we don't want to spend so much money. Can we assume the OCZ Agility 3 120GB is structural the same (so performance is about the same) as the 240GB version? And it makes for a nice upgrade as well?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinion! Kindest regards.
08-26-2011, 04:25 PM,
RE: OCZ Agility 3 good replacement for OCZ Agility 2?
Yes. The OCZ Agility 3 series is faster than the Agility 2 series regardless of the capacity.
Your friendly forum administrator.
08-26-2011, 04:52 PM,
Thumbs Up  RE: OCZ Agility 3 good replacement for OCZ Agility 2?
Thanks for the fast reply Andrew Smile! Just showed it to my son, so he can decide what to do, order the SSD and complete the PC! (and sorry for me using your contactform before posting to this forum)
08-29-2011, 08:29 AM,
Be aware, while all agility 3's are faster than all agility 2's, not all agility 3's are the same performance. It has to do with a combination of things, including the number of die per chips, the number of NAND packages on the board for a given size, and the number of channels. Interestingly enough, the larger the drive of a same series, the (generally) faster performance due to being able to utilize multiple channels. However, actual results may vary based on your workload.

More die per chip = better performance. This is due to interleaving requests, but the increase is not linear (like most things in computers). You get diminishing returns. 240GB Agility 3 is the sweet spot for price/performance, and I totally agree with the recommendation, and it is faster than the 120 Agility 3. However, the 120GB Agility 3 is definitely a performance improvement over any of the Agility 2 series.

Check out this article on the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS for similar info on how this all boils down: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-v...s-reviewed
08-29-2011, 08:36 AM,
Thank you VERY much for your knowledgable reply Jorgisven ! My son has already ordered the 120GB Agility 3. I guess as long as he doesn't haven 2 options to compare in his actual situation, he'll be glad with his purchase!
08-29-2011, 08:38 AM,
Also I'd like to add that you really won't notice the difference except in benchmarks.
Your friendly forum administrator.
08-29-2011, 08:56 AM,
(08-29-2011, 08:38 AM)Andrew J Wrote: Also I'd like to add that you really won't notice the difference except in benchmarks.

Right, I sorta gave that disclaimer - "However, actual results may vary based on your workload."

Most people won't notice it until they've been using their drive for over a year, where the NAND starts to fill up and drop its performance slightly. This is where the larger drives tend to shine. Performance up front, for sure it's minimal differences. But having more space really does help increase longevity of the performance bump. You also end up with physically more "spare" space (similar percentage, though).
08-29-2011, 02:06 PM,
(08-29-2011, 08:56 AM)Jorgisven Wrote:
(08-29-2011, 08:38 AM)Andrew J Wrote: Also I'd like to add that you really won't notice the difference except in benchmarks.

Right, I sorta gave that disclaimer - "However, actual results may vary based on your workload."

Most people won't notice it until they've been using their drive for over a year, where the NAND starts to fill up and drop its performance slightly. This is where the larger drives tend to shine. Performance up front, for sure it's minimal differences. But having more space really does help increase longevity of the performance bump. You also end up with physically more "spare" space (similar percentage, though).

That doesn't tend to be as much a problem in drives with more aggressive garbage collection, such as Intel or Sandforce drives. However, I have a Crucial M4, so having extra space is really, well, crucial since Crucial SSDs have very late garbage collection.
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K CPU Cooler: Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU TIM: Thermalright Chill Factor III GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6970 VGA Cooler: Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus SSD: Crucial M4 256GB HDD: Samsung F3 1TB Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz Optical Drive: ASUS 24X PSU: 550W Kingwin Lazer 80 Plus Platinum Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Q12 Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX Keyboard: Rosewill RK-9000 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500 Monitor: Sceptre 27"